• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Where have all the Frogs gone???

Recommended Posts

Behind my house is a small oasis of countryside in my city. Its been more or less been  given back to nature for decades. There are woods, flower meadows and ponds.

In the past I'd find frogs all over my garden. In autumn I'd have to be careful walking on paths on or near the area as there where so many frogs hopping around.

 

A few weeks back my daughter found a frog when we where visiting a plant nursery way out in proper countryside.

It was then I remembered all the frogs near my home had gone!!

 

Does anyone know what happened to the urban frogs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Behind my house is a small oasis of countryside in my city. Its been more or less been  given back to nature for decades. There are woods, flower meadows and ponds.

In the past I'd find frogs all over my garden. In autumn I'd have to be careful walking on paths on or near the area as there where so many frogs hopping around.

 

A few weeks back my daughter found a frog when we where visiting a plant nursery way out in proper countryside.

It was then I remembered all the frogs near my home had gone!!

 

Does anyone know what happened to the urban frogs?

Have no got a clue where they have gone but would be very surprised if they were frogs much more likely to be toads 

 

Frog 

Image result for UK frog images

 

Toad 

Image result for UK toad images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Have no got a clue where they have gone but would be very surprised if they were frogs much more likely to be toads 

 

Frog 

Image result for UK frog images

 

Toad 

Image result for UK toad images

Ah, that explains why they never turn into a prince for me. I've been kissing the wrong bloody things. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

A surprising study has found that frogs in suburban lakes tend to be mostly female, and suggests that urbanization and estrogenic wastes are likely turning male frogs female.

In a study published September 7 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers sampled hundreds of young frogs from 21 ponds in Connecticut, which were all geographically close but varied widely in terms of how developed their immediate surroundings were. The scientists, led by Yale University researcher David Skelly and doctoral student Max Lambert, were surprised to find that the extent of development was strongly linked to the proportion of females; ponds in forests contained lower proportions of females, whereas males were in the minority in some areas of the ‘burbs.

Source :- http://www.newsweek.com/female-frogs-estrogen-hermaphrodites-suburban-waste-369553

Lezzer frogs, that's your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amphibians are in general decline globally, sadly.

There is a large pond in an arboretum near us with a minor road near it. The road has a warning sign for migratory frogs crossing. In the nineties at migration time the road was a sea of carnage with hundreds of frog patties despite volunteers collecting them up in buckets and ferrying them across. Despite the losses to traffic, they were thriving in huge numbers. These days I hardly see a single one but I think it is most likely due to the badgers that have moved into the area. Or maybe Eastern Europeans.:P

I do quite a bit of work in various local gardens and surprisingly, I find more newts than frogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Came out of my house, in the dark once, and a heron, that had been sheltering from the rain in the porch, got startled and flew off in a panic. Totally shat my pants as I thought it was a fucking pterodactyl to start with.

Let us know what you were drinking, I fancy some. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had a couple in my garden three years' ago; previosu owner said about them.  Not one for two years. 

This is why I am considering a pond.  Or a cat.  Not both.

Cats can be shown the error of their ways regarding ponds, fish and frogs. They aren't stupid and they learn fast. But it's probably better that you don't do that to your own cat as it won't come near you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

Or it might be that your neighbour has got a cat. Hard to tell.

There used to be too many for cats to deal with....

Now there are none :(

Poor froggies turned to lezzers and then died out for want of a man frog? So sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

There used to be too many for cats to deal with....

Now there are none :(

Poor froggies turned to lezzers and then died out for want of a man frog? So sad

Perhaps because the female frogs got fed up of waiting for the male frogs to turn into princes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.