DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bowie

Sugarlips

Sugarlips

Well if we’re gonna have a Beatles thread, why not eh?

ill start with something brand new Duran Duran just released this today, their interpretation of 5 Years, fabulous vocal delivery from Simon, sounding very mature:

Sugarlips

David jokingly wanted to be remembered for having some really great haircuts, he certainly achieved that.

8ECDE1D8-E540-41FD-964F-5BB60668CDF8.jpeg

• Agree 2

Democorruptcy

I have a lot of original Bowie 45's and LPs. I went with a cousin to see him on the Serious Moonlight tour, at the NEC. A few years back my cousin told me how much easier MP3's were for music and gave all his vinyl away to a charity shop. I told him vinyl would come back but he wouldn't have it. The daft bugger is now buying the Bowie LPs again and paying ridiculous amounts.

• Lol 2

Sugarlips
18 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I have a lot of original Bowie 45's and LPs. I went with a cousin to see him on the Serious Moonlight tour, at the NEC. A few years back my cousin told me how much easier MP3's were for music and gave all his vinyl away to a charity shop. I told him vinyl would come back but he wouldn't have it. The daft bugger is now buying the Bowie LPs again and paying ridiculous amounts.

I’ve lost count of how many near mint cds I’ve got in the garage from charity shops over the last 3 years 2 or 3000 easily, it’s got a bit out of control tbh but at roughly 25p each I’ve found it to be a cheap sport, got some cracking stuff in there now. Whether they will ever be as collectible records who knows, otherwise the kids will send them to landfill once they’ve disposed of me I guess

Democorruptcy
28 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I’ve lost count of how many near mint cds I’ve got in the garage from charity shops over the last 3 years 2 or 3000 easily, it’s got a bit out of control tbh but at roughly 25p each I’ve found it to be a cheap sport, got some cracking stuff in there now. Whether they will ever be as collectible records who knows, otherwise the kids will send them to landfill once they’ve disposed of me I guess

A niche market, coffin with CD slots?

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

Depends what's in there, when I sold off my CD collection it was totally random stuff that was worth the big money.

I've spent a lot of time going through charity shop DVD collections, there is some good stuff in there but takes some searching for.

7 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Well if we’re gonna have a Beatles thread, why not eh?

ill start with something brand new Duran Duran just released this today, their interpretation of 5 Years, fabulous vocal delivery from Simon, sounding very mature:

In 1982 Idid a deal with a female friend who had contacts at the venue in Aberdeen. She would get me Rolling Stones tickets if I took her to the Duran Duran concert later in the year.

To my great surprise the Duran Duran concert was brilliant.

Stones however were a massive disappointment.

• Informative 3

Democorruptcy
8 hours ago, gilf said:

Depends what's in there, when I sold off my CD collection it was totally random stuff that was worth the big money.

I've spent a lot of time going through charity shop DVD collections, there is some good stuff in there but takes some searching for.

If you think charity shops take time, whatever you do don't go to a car boot sale. I bought 60 x 45's for £10 (6 for £1 or 20p each) in one session in 2019. They were surprisingly good quality. It took some time! I went back the following week for the regrets/misses and got another 36!

Edited by Democorruptcy

Bobthebuilder
8 hours ago, gilf said:

A lot of albums in the 1990s got a CD release only and none on vinyl. They are collectable to the point that some record companies are buying the rights to re-release them on vinyl.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

If you think charity shops take time, whatever you do don't go to a car boot sale. I bought 60 x 45's for £10 (6 for £1 or 20p each) in one session in 2019. They were surprisingly good quality. It took some time! I went back the following week for the regrets/misses and got another 36!

Yeah I can imagine, it's good fun though.

The problem with charity shops is you have to wade through thousands of shite pop stuff and gave away CD's from the front of computer magazines, I suspect unlike car boot sales these are not half serious music fans but the contents of a teenaged girls bedroom, i.e. 500 Steps CD's . Given there are multiple donors that means there are multiple copies of the shite you are not interested in also.

But it's great when you do find something, wasn't often though.

A friend from work and I used to go lunch times, hunting for rap CD's and various copies of football computer games that he collected, I still now have etched on my brain the various editions of FIFA he needed.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, gilf said:

Yeah I can imagine, it's good fun though.

The problem with charity shops is you have to wade through thousands of shite pop stuff and gave away CD's from the front of computer magazines, I suspect unlike car boot sales these are not half serious music fans but the contents of a teenaged girls bedroom, i.e. 500 Steps CD's . Given there are multiple donors that means there are multiple copies of the shite you are not interested in also.

But it's great when you do find something, wasn't often though.

A friend from work and I used to go lunch times, hunting for rap CD's and various copies of football computer games that he collected, I still now have etched on my brain the various editions of FIFA he needed.

A mate went to a charity shop and they had a box marked "LPs from £1". He took 2 to the counter getting his £2 ready but they asked for £3. He put them down and walked out! He wasn't having the "from" bit.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
11 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

One of those songs that makes the hairs stand up 'you're not alone'. Magic. 

• Agree 1

Sugarlips
6 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

A mate went to a charity shop and they had a box marked "LPs from £1". He took 2 to the counter getting his £2 ready but they asked for £3. He put them down and walked out! He wasn't having the "from" bit.

Just back from the local Salvos, usually the LPs are barely worth thumbing through, it’s all Harry Secombe and Russ Conway but today to my amazement a mint copy of kraftwerk’s Man Machine, a mint Devo LP plus Bob Marley, as well as some Gerry Rafferty, Uriah Heap and even a couple of well worn Hendrix compilation LPs all 2 bucks each, that’s my evening sorted. No Bowie though..

My first ever record was a hard plastic one that went in a Tomy train, not sure if anyone remembers them from the 70’s, anyway the song funnily enough was a knock off version of:

• Agree 2

Sasquatch
On 09/01/2021 at 04:45, Sugarlips said:

Just back from the local Salvos, usually the LPs are barely worth thumbing through, it’s all Harry Secombe and Russ Conway but today to my amazement a mint copy of kraftwerk’s Man Machine, a mint Devo LP plus Bob Marley, as well as some Gerry Rafferty, Uriah Heap and even a couple of well worn Hendrix compilation LPs all 2 bucks each, that’s my evening sorted. No Bowie though.

Some good records in that list.

However, I see your haul and raise you an entirely full Volvo estate. Got a bit carried away 12 months ago when browsing on ebay and bought someone's entire record collection. O.o

IMG_6450.JPG

• Cheers 2

I reached 'interest in music age' during his Phil Collins years, and didn't really get it (because while it wasn't awful, it wasn't inspiring either).

It was only when i was in my 20's that I really started listening to his career-making stuff properly -- he was truly talented (writer and performer).

I very much like this video (and the song) -- you can see the band saying to themselves 'I know we have to be here because he's so brilliant (3 years after Space Oddity), but this isn't quite what we dressed up for' (especially Woodmansey).  Excellent stuff.

• Agree 2

Democorruptcy
7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Some good records in that list.

However, I see your haul and raise you an entirely full Volvo estate. Got a bit carried away 12 months ago when browsing on ebay and bought someone's entire record collection. O.o

Are those LPs? How many did you fit in? I was once tempted by a collection on Preloved of 6,000 x 45's including every number one from 1970. Then I looked at the space my existing 600 took up and decided it would be a struggle to fit them in my small car.