DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The terraces where you stood as a kid

Inspired by another thread.

The two i stood at are The Willows, Salford. Scene of the greatest giant killing in English sporting memory when we knocked Wigan out of the Challenge Cup after they'd won it seven years on't bounce.

salford.thumb.jpg.afdcc018ccf3068aae41c4337d72ef5c.jpg

And Station Road, Swinton. Apparently my mother passed out here and got taken to the players dressing room 🙄

2228381095_1008d00516.jpg.2c809279d158b22e3d3be772b32fb649.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inspired by another thread. The two i stood at are The Willows, Salford. Scene of the greatest giant killing in English sporting memory when we knocked Wigan out of the Challenge Cup after they'd

Some personal photos I took. These from the away section at La Bombonera

Best thing ever is supporting a shit team.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Inspired by another thread.

The two i stood at are The Willows, Salford. Scene of the greatest giant killing in English sporting memory when we knocked Wigan out of the Challenge Cup after they'd won it seven years on't bounce.

salford.thumb.jpg.afdcc018ccf3068aae41c4337d72ef5c.jpg

And Station Road, Swinton. Apparently my mother passed out here and got taken to the players dressing room 🙄

2228381095_1008d00516.jpg.2c809279d158b22e3d3be772b32fb649.jpg

I absolutely love looking at pics of the old RL grounds. Once spent hours on Google images doing so.

Crown Flatt - Dewsbury

Wiggington Rd - York

Thrum Hall - Halifax

Watersheddings - Oldham

Blackppol Borough, Bramley  etc etc

2 minutes ago, Jazztraveller said:

I absolutely love looking at pics of the old RL grounds. Once spent hours on Google images doing so.

Crown Flatt - Dewsbury

Wiggington Rd - York

Thrum Hall - Halifax

Watersheddings - Oldham

Blackppol Borough, Bramley  etc etc

Odsal in Bradford is one of our remaining great monuments and everyone ought to visit while it's still there.

_108582322_odsal1.jpg

As an adult rather for a child and then only for a couple of years.  

Craven Cottage before it was redeveloped; on the right hand home terrace which had a roof unlike the away terrace.

You could see the water birds on the Thames and the house boats (not there by the time of this picture) rising or falling with the tide; it was particularly lovely as the sun was setting.

Some blokes used to kick a ball about on the green bit in the middle.

OIP.FslsImekhG-0vFLQbbv9ugHaFj?pid=Api&r

1 minute ago, Stuey said:

Odsal in Bradford is one of our remaining great monuments and everyone ought to visit while it's still there.

_108582322_odsal1.jpg

It’s an incredible place just to drive past.

oh and I forgot Fartown, Huddersfield- which last time I looked is still a green area next to cricket ground.

I was reminded because LeedsRd, Hudds was massive on one side  as well. I saw Boro win 4-1 there 😁

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As an adult rather for a child and then only for a couple of years.  

Craven Cottage before it was redeveloped; on the right hand home terrace which had a roof unlike the away terrace.

You could see the water birds on the Thames and the house boats (not there by the time of this picture) rising or falling with the tide; it was particularly lovely as the sun was setting.

Some blokes used to kick a ball about on the green bit in the middle.

OIP.FslsImekhG-0vFLQbbv9ugHaFj?pid=Api&r

Lovely ground. I used to look out for it when watching the Boat Race when the BBC was ok.

Just now, Jazztraveller said:

Lovely ground. I used to look out for it when watching the Boat Race when the BBC was ok.

The ground was the reason for going there.  I went to most London clubs to try them out and settled on Fulham purely because of the terrace.

It really isn't the same sitting in a small cheap plastic chair with people squeezing past every few minutes.

2 minutes ago, Butthead said:

...and 9 months later you were born, and have been supporting them ever since?

;)

And he already told me he’s a 6’ baldy with a presence... so could definitely have the genes 

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The ground was the reason for going there.  I went to most London clubs to try them out and settled on Fulham purely because of the terrace.

It really isn't the same sitting in a small cheap plastic chair with people squeezing past every few minutes.

You mean the Old Den on a Tuesday night just didn’t do it for ya?? 😄

I used to mix it up at Boothferry Park. Most frequently was probably in the South Stand. Never knew the stadium in its heyday, only with its incorporated supermarket. 

Would like to have experienced it back in the 60s when it was getting 40k+ in and had its own designated train station, Boothferry Halt. 

image.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You can tell those chairs were built for earlier generations as they are just too small now. The last football game I went to was Man Utd v Galatasaray in 2013, and wanted to walk out at 60 mins as I was in pain from being cramped in. These were the warm, padded seats too..

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

I used to mix it up at Boothferry Park. Most frequently was probably in the South Stand. Never knew the stadium in its heyday, only with its incorporated supermarket. 

Would like to have experienced it back in the 60s when it was getting 40k+ in and had its own designated train station, Boothferry Halt. 

image.png

Excellent. I can imagine that in full voice...

2 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

image.png

image.png

South Stand for me. Except when I saw Boro draw there 0-0 (twice) from the supermarket end

1 minute ago, Jazztraveller said:

Obviously this is an offensive image, but a begrudgingly wish Roker still existed ( saw Boro lose 2-1 on a Sunday morning- Gary Bennet scored)

I saw Sunderland lose at Ayresome Park more times than I care to remember. Gary Parkinson was something of a nemesis.

Funniest Boro memory was Richard Ord getting sent off for walking the full length of Emerson's body while he was on the ground.

Park lane, spurs for me.

mum grew up opposite selhurst park. Firs game was palace vs spurs.

went al over the uk as a kid. Stood in the shed end with a milk crate when spurs took it. There was grass growing through the concrete steps and cars parked behind one of the goals.

haven’t been for years.

The baseball ground at Derby was always a nasty place to go.

miss proper old football days....the anticipation on Friday....checking ceefax....working out the best team to put out with your mates down the boozer....and that Monday morning after it all....heading into school/work with either a load of dread at the grief you would be getting as the yids hadn’t turned up.

Miss it loads TBh

4 minutes ago, eight said:

I saw Sunderland lose at Ayresome Park more times than I care to remember. Gary Parkinson was something of a nemesis.

Funniest Boro memory was Richard Ord getting sent off for walking the full length of Emerson's body while he was on the ground.

Aye Parky, God bless the poor lad. What a shot he had on him.

Dicky Ord - proper old school centre back. I liked him.

9 minutes ago, 86d said:

went al over the uk as a kid. Stood in the shed end with a milk crate when spurs took it. There was grass growing through the concrete steps and cars parked behind one of the goals.

haven’t been for years.

The baseball ground at Derby was always a nasty place to go.

miss proper old football days....the anticipation on Friday....checking ceefax....working out the best team to put out with your mates down the boozer....and that Monday morning after it all....heading into school/work with either a load of dread at the grief you would be getting as the yids hadn’t turned up.

Miss it loads TBh

Same on all counts.

God yeah, that walk down the side streets to The Baseball Ground. I nearly got crushed in the away end there. I drive down there a couple years ago. Total Asian ghetto now.

Edited by Jazztraveller
3 minutes ago, eight said:

For some reason to do with being stuck in the Championship for a long time during the nineties, my second most visited ground is Oakwell, Barnsley. 

Ha ha, same.  Until they got promoted in 97, Barnsley had the longest streak in that division, 16 years.

1 minute ago, Jazztraveller said:

Oh yeah, the away end where you literally can’t see all the goal from parts of the Upper Tier 😄

Haha - Yeah it was never the best ground tbh. Not only could you not see much from certain parts of the ground but fuckin uncomfortable with nowhere to put your knees accept on the shoulders of the poor bloke in front.