DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Defund The Universities

https://www.concordia.ca/news/stories/2019/09/20/3-concordia-researchers-collaborate-to-engage-indigenous-knowledges-in-the-study-of-physics.html

That’s 163K that could have been spent on, say, getting clean drinking water onto reserves (https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/canada-indigenous-drinking-water-dangers/) being spent instead on three massively privileged white people to do an academic circle jerk. Fucking outrageous. :(

2 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

https://www.concordia.ca/news/stories/2019/09/20/3-concordia-researchers-collaborate-to-engage-indigenous-knowledges-in-the-study-of-physics.html

That’s 163K that could have been spent on, say, getting clean drinking water onto reserves (https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/canada-indigenous-drinking-water-dangers/) being spent instead on three massively privileged white people to do an academic circle jerk. Fucking outrageous. :(

It sounds as useful as a "climate conference".

5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

"Tajmel questioned the colonial assumptions made in the way Western science evaluates light and what it considers knowledge"

Thats right Dosbodders, western science is just white supremacy that oppresses 'indigenous knowledge' and 'other ways of learning'.

NASA willl need to hire some indiginous shamens and witch doctors of colour if it wants to beat China to Mars.

Science must fall

Edited by Miner Willy
1 hour ago, Miner Willy said:

"Tajmel questioned the colonial assumptions made in the way Western science evaluates light and what it considers knowledge"

Thats right Dosbodders, western science is just white supremacy that oppresses 'indigenous knowledge' and 'other ways of learning'.

NASA willl need to hire some indiginous shamens and witch doctors of colour if it wants to beat China to Mars.

Science must fall

Sheesh.. the woman in the yellow said "african witch doctors can cast a spell to make lightning strike someone". Someone said she was talking crap and he had to apologise to her.

Fair enough if they dont believe in western science etc. However they should follow their convictions and stop using western technology... Fuck off back to africa and live in a mud hut. 

I honestly reckon a lot of brown people have inferiority complexes because deep down they know their races have added fuck all to modern civilisation. All this "decolonisation" talk is so they can feel better about their pitiful races.

9 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Sheesh.. the woman in the yellow said "african witch doctors can cast a spell to make lightning strike someone". Someone said she was talking crap and he had to apologise to her.

Fair enough if they dont believe in western science etc. However they should follow their convictions and stop using western technology... Fuck off back to africa and live in a mud hut. 

I honestly reckon a lot of brown people have inferiority complexes because deep down they know their races have added fuck all to modern civilisation. All this "decolonisation" talk is so they can feel better about their pitiful races.

Fine - her 'theory' will make the testable prediction that N'gog the invincible will point his fingers at will and lightning will be directed at them within an acceptable timeframe. Once testing fails we can move onto real Western science.

9 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

How diverse

1568987346166.jpg

51m7hokRiXL._SX395_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

These student books are very very good.

Sit down, read a chapter a day. Use the internet for bits n boobs.

Grand cost - ~£20/book.

Finish that, pass a test, then start the A level one.

The future of more inclusivity of education, be it black, red or poor whites is getting rid of the dead weight and cost of academia.

3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Well said, I actually know brown people who openly acknowledge their races have added fuck all to modern civilisation.

35 minutes ago, spygirl said:

51m7hokRiXL._SX395_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

These student books are very very good.

Sit down, read a chapter a day. Use the internet for bits n boobs.

Grand cost - ~£20/book.

Finish that, pass a test, then start the A level one.

The future of more inclusivity of education, be it black, red or poor whites is getting rid of the dead weight and cost of academia.

I know it's cool to knock teachers and lecturers but a half decent one, not even one of the best, will teach you far better than any book and you will retain it far longer.

What you are trying to do is receive the knowledge that they have in their brain into your brain.  This is done far better on an interactive basis - "everyone got that?" - and go back and see where the transfer has fallen down than by simplistically following a rigid series of exercises in a book.

I see it as:

KNOWLEDGE -> MEDIUM -> KNOWLEDGE

With a confirmatory backwards flow happening within a live teaching environment: give me that knowledge back in your own words.

I asked a relative when one of their kids was doing their homework, "She's doing it now" was the response.  The homework comprised prodding at a tablet screen while sat on the settee with the telly on.  There wasn't even any typing that might require the expression of thoughts and knowledge in a new form so reinforcing the understanding.  It was merely poking at A B C D on multiple choice questions.

"How do you learn like that?"  I asked.

Answer: you don't.  She flunked uni first year and didn't go back.  The tragedy being that she was a bright kid who was being barely taught anything through school and, this being the US, it was all about teacher projections so there was no hard reality of exams until end year one uni.  Which were comprehensively failed.

It is hugely disappointing to see the UK going down this same inferior route.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know it's cool to knock teachers and lecturers but a half decent one, not even one of the best, will teach you far better than any book and you will retain it far longer.

What you are trying to do is receive the knowledge that they have in their brain into your brain.  This is done far better on an interactive basis - "everyone got that?" - and go back and see where the transfer has fallen down than by simplistically following a rigid series of exercises in a book.

I see it as:

KNOWLEDGE -> MEDIUM -> KNOWLEDGE

With a confirmatory backwards flow happening within a live teaching environment: give me that knowledge back in your own words.

I asked a relative when one of their kids was doing their homework, "She's doing it now" was the response.  The homework comprised prodding at a tablet screen while sat on the settee with the telly on.  There wasn't even any typing that might require the expression of thoughts and knowledge in a new form so reinforcing the understanding.  It was merely poking at A B C D on multiple choice questions.

"How do you learn like that?"  I asked.

Answer: you don't.  She flunked uni first year and didn't go back.  The tragedy being that she was a bright kid who was being barely taught anything through school and, this being the US, it was all about teacher projections so there was no hard reality of exams until end year one uni.  Which were comprehensively failed.

It is hugely disappointing to see the UK going down this same inferior route.

That is true.

However .. IME that was only ~30% of my teachers.

The OP was about bootstrapping a disadvantaged, neglected community, getting them up to speed on Physics.

Providing them with bootstrap information is going to get much better results than a giving 3 lecturers a slush fund under 'helping Indians'

3 hours ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Why has the twat in brown trousers got a burd's hips?

pizza. lots off. i have noted a similar trend of young white males with enormous fat arses and huge fat hips. its weird, it doesnt look normal. i also note those that have those strangely huge arses also eat huge amounts of takeway shite, especially pizzas. 

4 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Fine - her 'theory' will make the testable prediction that N'gog the invincible will point his fingers at will and lightning will be directed at them within an acceptable timeframe. Once testing fails we can move onto real Western science.

Concepts like "testable" and "failure" are part of the colonialist model that is so problematic. They have no meaning within an indigenous framework. Clinging to them proves* that there is more cleansing to be done.

* proof is an allowable concept only to the extent that it supports decolonisation.

5 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

Science must fall

The funny thing in that video is that they don't know what science actually is.  Sure, the woman in the yellow top doesn't (she thinks it is about 'people saying the way it is'), but neither does the guy that shouts out 'it isn't true'.

All science says is hypothesis-test-build.

She says that shamens make lightning strikes.  Well, test it.  Don't just dismiss it.  Now, it will probably have been tested, but it might not have done -- get the evidence (perhaps from previous studies) and work with it.  Now, the lightning strike is pretty much certainly nonsense, but that same shamen might use traditional medicines that actually work, or do weird 'touching' that also works through psychology (say) -- so it isn't fair to just dismiss the whole of that offering just because bits might not be true.

Then there's the 'who cares?'.  No-one cares that much about Newton -- it is enough for most people to know that things mainly fall if you drop them.  But if you want to send a satellite up into space then having those equations is useful.  Note that people don't use them because they've been told they're true by a white guy -- they use them because if you don't the multimillion $ satellite doesn't do the important job of staying in the right place.

Science is used because it is useful, and people have faith in science because it has shown itself to be useful even when tested rigorously and where the results aren't obvious or are even counter-intuitive.  Other people do stuff because they think it is useful, but sometimes (when stakes are high) it is best to test that assumption before putting too much faith in it.

[Newton didn't see an apple fall and invent gravity.  He used the apple as a aid to instruction, where the important point was that the force that 'made the apple fall' was the same force that keeps planets in their orbits.   I don't think that any 'traditional-science' has ever considered that.]

14 minutes ago, mosstrooper said:

pizza. lots off. i have noted a similar trend of young white males with enormous fat arses and huge fat hips. its weird, it doesnt look normal. i also note those that have those strangely huge arses also eat huge amounts of takeway shite, especially pizzas. 

It is similar to, but different from in the detail, the effect of beer.

4 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Lets ignore the fact she is wearing reading glasses, a Western scientific invention.

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

This is a great podcast on that subject.

One of the great points he makes is one of the great problems with the black population globally is there isn't a single African country you can point to that's a success in the modern world and without one the black community is on the back foot. Specifically from 29:50...

I suspect most people here couldn't name many African leaders from the past 50 years, other then maybe Mandela and a few despots.

5 hours ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Why has the twat in brown trousers got a burd's hips?

The study sheds light on how testosterone controls where fat is stored and shows that men who have low levels of testosterone show a shift in how they store body fat. Like women, they store more fat in their hips and thighs.

https://www.concordia.ca/cunews/main/releases/2012/06/06/testosterone-influences-body-fat-distribution.html

Pitiful test, among other things.  'Men' like this wank whatever test they had out of their body to pedo cartoons ('anime').

You have to wonder what it must be like to be a real man at a university, when women are starved like this.  Even feminists like to get railed by a real man.  It must be like shooting fish in a barrel especially if you can put on a good anti-Tory schtick.

Edited by ElKapitan84
9 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Concepts like "testable" and "failure" are part of the colonialist model that is so problematic. They have no meaning within an indigenous framework. Clinging to them proves* that there is more cleansing to be done.

* proof is an allowable concept only to the extent that it supports decolonisation.

An experiment is only a failure if does not adequately test the hypothesis in question (ie the data output is inadequate).  If it conclusively finds something not proven that is a success just as much as if it finds it proven. 

Edited by Virgil Caine