DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Majority still battling

sarahbell

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/10/majority-of-covid-patients-still-battling-symptoms-after-six-months-13878842/

Scientists found patients who were severely ill in hospital more often had impaired lung function and abnormalities detected in chest imaging – possibly indicating organ damage – half a year after symptom began. The research, published in The Lancet, found that levels of neutralising antibodies fell by more than half (52.5%) after six months in 94 patients whose immune response was tested at the peak of the infection.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
onlyme

Not surprised, we're talking in-patients here, the worst affected apart from those dead. Have close experience one person, just being on a vent /in ICU, your body is degrading, losing an amazing amount of muscle mass per day, let alone the issue of nut just the direct viral effects, the effects/inflammation caused by the body's response but also the side effects of the drugs.

• Agree 5
MrPin
15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Scientists found

:CryBaby:

Great reporting. A man on the bus told me some interesting things once.

• Agree 6
BoSon

Long covid will be what finally crushes the government's base of taxing people. Too many wil be on disability benefits that the workers won't be able to cover the bill at all not even the pittance that is generated now that gets swallowed up in national debt.

So after the national debt reaches new heights paying for the inept handling of the pandemic, the after effects (presuming there is an after with working vaccines) will be an unsustainable economy that finally forces them to a big reset.

Those thinking that covid is a plan by the 0.01% to force a big reset may find it happens anyway even if they're wrong about the plan. B|

The worry we have is how we can survive health wise. Currently avoiding catching covid is the main plan, then see if these vaccines really are safe before accepting them. Then wait for the evidence of the studies into what causes some to get it worse than others and what are the factors we can use to give it a swerve.

With the talk that covid is here to stay and will be endemic like the flu where the vulnerable are now on covid vaccines for life, we're on a slow road to a new world. Hope it's one worth living in and we aren't resistance fighters in the future. O.o

• Agree 2
eta-carinae

I had it over christmas, breath shortness, fatigue etc. I fully recovered and what was surprising is how quickly the symptoms lifted, almost bang on two weeks.

I know three people personally who all had the very similar experiences.

I know viral infections can cause a lot of damage and can last months, but is this not related to mental health? I bet those with long covid have a correlation.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
onlyme
3 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I had it over christmas, breath shortness, fatigue etc. I fully recovered and what was surprising is how quickly the symptoms lifted, almost bang on two weeks.

I know three people personally who all had the very similar experiences.

I know viral infections can cause a lot of damage and can last months, but is this not related to mental health? I bet those with long covid have a correlation.

There may be some, makes a great excuse for extended time off as well, however also think there is a significant number with real symptoms even if not hospitalised. Good news is person I know is pretty much as bad a situation as it could get and he is making progress, back working but not full time, slowly increasing hours and type of jobs he tackles.

M S E Refugee
28 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I bet those with long covid have a correlation.

Probably 6 months full pay.

Edited by M S E Refugee
  • Agree 2
  • Lol 2
invalid
55 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Those thinking that covid is a plan by the 0.01% to force a big reset may find it happens anyway even if they're wrong about the plan. B|

This ^^^^

I'm starting to think a reset is quite a possibility - not by design or control, more that it will be inevitable and unavoidable.

invalid
14 minutes ago, dnb24 said:

I work clinically in a London hospital. Our team is roughly 120 strong. Working since Jan 2020 with SARS CoV-2 (first person officially diagnosed in our hospital). Staff ages are from 21-60. All sorts of Comorbities - as you can imagine. All staff are patient facing ie ward based. Staff have gone off with symptoms, have had various amounts of time off, none hospitalised, one reported long covid.

The long covid person is interesting- been with the trust a very short period of time, has child, not married, attempted to go off on long term sick with a common “sick note”, then tried another typical “sick note”, then finally came to long covid- which has kept them off for 4 months (employed 10 months ago). Avoiding catching SARS Cov-2 is never going to happen, it’s a fallacy of the public to even think it, you’ll be amazed at how easily virus’s spread and how you’re immune system is under constant attack from things trying to kill you every second of the day- the human body is an amazing thing and to think we can stop “getting” covid or any other disease is just incorrect. You can prepare your body to react in a most optimum way- exercise variety, eat a balanced diet, sleep well, but that’s about it- even doing those things- if you’re time is up- it’s up. 

Thanks, really interesting to get some info and insights from someone in your position.

• Agree 1
BoSon
53 minutes ago, dnb24 said:

Avoiding catching SARS Cov-2 is never going to happen

If it was 100% deadly and no working vaccine there would be some making sure that statement was false or the human species would be doomed.

So depending on how effective the vaccines are in doing the job of protecting people we may get away with minimal change to life before covid or we may be looking at permanent changes to social behaviour and disease control. Too early to say what the actual effect of covid will be on daily life longer term, and we're already over 1 year since it was discovered.

dgul
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/10/majority-of-covid-patients-still-battling-symptoms-after-six-months-13878842/

Scientists found patients who were severely ill in hospital more often had impaired lung function and abnormalities detected in chest imaging – possibly indicating organ damage – half a year after symptom began. The research, published in The Lancet, found that levels of neutralising antibodies fell by more than half (52.5%) after six months in 94 patients whose immune response was tested at the peak of the infection.

Given all the data it appears that the original-China-Covid variant mutated to become less deadly before it came to the west.  It is likely that data gathered in Wuhan won't be representative of covid as experienced elsewhere (even elsewhere in China, and in Wuhan after the spring).

Beyond that, the data is somewhat suspect -- it appears to be about describing 'long covid' for those that were really rather ill and shouldn't be extrapolated in any way beyond that group.  Furthermore, they didn't attempt to identify and remove 'other causes' -- eg, they have information about how ill people that were ventilated still are, but don't indicate how long it takes to recover from ventilation (a moot point, perhaps, as they were on the ventilator because of covid, but it would help put the data into context).

• Agree 1
eight

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that if two healthy people were put on ventilators, chances are one of them would not survive.

• Agree 3
assetrichcashpoor
2 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Probably 6 months full pay.

I've said that elsewhere. I'd love to see the correlation between post viral fatigue and public sector workers versus the self employed. 

• Agree 3
TheBlueCat
9 hours ago, sarahbell said:

The single data point I have is me - it took me a good month to stop feeling like crap and then another month to get my previous level of fitness back after having it. I'm in my mid/late 50s, generally in excellent health and very fit so if it did that to me, I can imagine it does a lot worse to many other people.

• Agree 1
WorkingPoor
1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

The single data point I have is me - it took me a good month to stop feeling like crap and then another month to get my previous level of fitness back after having it. I'm in my mid/late 50s, generally in excellent health and very fit so if it did that to me, I can imagine it does a lot worse to many other people.

Did you actually have it though or are you just guessing you did?

Did you have it confirmed by PCR test?

Im getting sick of "i had it back in january last year" types, 

I tell them what they acutually had was OC43 or 229E 

It destroys them mentally because they have been trading on it all year for sympathy and kudos points from family / friends work colleagues & social media. 

Edited by WorkingPoor
TheBlueCat
26 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Did you actually have it though or are you just guessing you did?

Did you have it confirmed by PCR test?

Im getting sick of "i had it back in january last year" types, 

It destroys them mentally because they have been trading on it all year for sympathy and kudos points from family / friends work colleagues & social media. 

Yes, pretty certain that I had it - I couldn't get a PCR test at the time as they were only giving them to people who had a known contact but I've had an antibody test since then that was positive. Also, it turns out there was an outbreak at my wife's work that we didn't find out about until a month or so later which is probably where I caught it (either through her or when I went there to pick her up a couple of times just as everything was kicking off). 

The XYY Man
46 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

So transistors make you sick now then...?

Why didn't you just say so last March....

XYY

• Lol 1