DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What's a good thing to get into?

lid

My dad's retired, bit of a drinker, enjoys a whisky, watches same old shite on telly..

spends his life on the couch. I wanna get him into something, and to be honest I'd have a go myself. That archaeology looks ok. Dad and lad time.

what say ye

Bricormortis

Yeah re archeology,  maybe join a metal detectorist soc. Not that I have mind,  but I am very interested in history so maybe one day. Sort of thing that you dont have time for when you are working. I knew some one who was mad on it and he made some right interesting finds including a few silver coins from the English Civil War era.

• Agree 3
gilf
10 hours ago, lid said:

My dad's retired, bit of a drinker, enjoys a whisky, watches same old shite on telly..

spends his life on the couch.

I do genuinely wish you the best of luck.

But I think anybody who retires and then just plonks themselves in front of a TV is a bit of a lost cause, or at least very tough nut to crack. That's not being critical of your dad, but just points to somebody who isn't generally interested in much.

Two types of people, those that can't wait to retire so they can stop work getting in the way of what they really want to do and then those that don't have much going on outside work and so are completely lost.

What sorts of things has he shown an interest in during his life... I think often there are side parts to hobbies that are better suited to later in life. A contrived example would be fisherman who then go on to a hobby of making flies.

• Agree 2
ccc
2 hours ago, Bricormortis said:

Yeah re archeology,  maybe join a metal detectorist soc. Not that I have mind,  but I am very interested in history so maybe one day. Sort of thing that you dont have time for when you are working. I knew some one who was mad on it and he made some right interesting finds including a few silver coins from the English Civil War era.

If this is a plan then @stokiescumis your man. Into metal detecting and the like. 

At the same time if your dad finds that idea a bit boring. And perhaps wants to venture into something a bit more exciting. Say bukkake dogging or smashing burds back doors in - then he is also your man :Old:

• Agree 1
  • Lol 5
  • Cheers 1
Frank Hovis

I'd say metal detecting rather than archaeology.

Everything's closed at the moment but when it returns metal detectoring societies arrange a new site every weekend where you can stay overnight if you wish - toilets and catering are there. This is assuming that the local society has its equivalent across the country.

I will also add my gleanings from the resident experts of which detectors to buy; though they recommend buying second hand initially:

Minelab Equinox 500 (£679) and 800 (£879)

or

XP Deus £600 and up

My local society which I intend joining.

https://dcdd.uk/

The reason I say not archaeology is because I was years back a volunteer and then a paid (a pittance!) field archaeologist and have been a member of two societies.

The societies were dull and academic.

The success of Time Team brought in a flood of archaeology students so volunteer labour is there aplenty in house for university digs.

There are companies and council departments that deal with the residue; again generally they're not looking for volunteers.

I looked for summer field digs back in 2018 and 2019 when I was considering retirement but they were noticeable by their absence - it was very different thirty years ago when I had my pick of them.  The only local dig I could find you were paying £200 a week to be on, though it was a training dig so you learnt something, and it didn't come with food or accommodation.  

If you would like to get into archaeology then I would suggest join your local society when it's up and running again (usually about £20 for the year) because you may find the old talk interesting, they do field visits, and if the local council archaeological unit wants volunteers (for field walking or a rescue dig at short notice) then they will call upon the society.

Some county archaeology societies have their own pet dig to which they return each summer; Gloucestershire had a Roman villa on the land of a committee member and farmer.  You may be lucky with this; there isn't such for any of my three local(ish) societies: Cornwall, Devon and Plymouth.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
onlyme

Maybe combine rockhounding with metal detecting, if you score a blank on the metals might find some interesting rocks. Makes you look more at the scenery whilst  you are out and adds another layer of interest., can also do some additional work finds at hime - cutting / grinding / polishing / fabricating. Ideal sites may not be coincident  but may been on the way.

Rather than a hobby at home definitely think choppy together your dad out and about would be a good idea.

stokiescum
1 hour ago, ccc said:

If this is a plan then @stokiescumis your man. Into metal detecting and the like. 

At the same time if your dad finds that idea a bit boring. And perhaps wants to venture into something a bit more exciting. Say bukkake dogging or smashing burds back doors in - then he is also your man :Old:

Diverse interests you see

• Cheers 1
Bus Stop Boxer
15 hours ago, lid said:

spends his life on the couch. I wanna get him into something, and to be honest I'd have a go myself. That archaeology looks ok. Dad and lad time.

what say ye

Hemp production.

• Agree 1
spunko

If you're going to have a go yourself then presumably it needs to be something that you are into, too. Finding something that both of you are into will be hard, at least longer term.

What about offroading / greenlaning.

Chewing Grass
Just now, spunko said:

What about offroading / greenlaning.

They have closed all the ones that were interesting, the only ones left near me are 300 yards of soft mud so hardly an adventure.

spunko
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

They have closed all the ones that were interesting, the only ones left near me are 300 yards of soft mud so hardly an adventure.

You may need to travel a bit further.

https://www.bywaymap.com/

Chewing Grass
15 minutes ago, spunko said:

You may need to travel a bit further.

https://www.bywaymap.com/

Just goes to prove what I knew, near me the nearest one longer than some posh persons drive is 50 miles away and is 2 miles long but has just had this stuck up.

Its crap anyway.

100202936_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1116-31-40.thumb.jpg.0f15e2f4389c8e32cb110e5c7205f97b.jpg

Green Devil
6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Minelab Equinox 500 (£679) and 800 (£879)

or

XP Deus £600 and up

At that price, its a lot of twenty pences to get to break even :D

• Agree 1
Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

At that price, its a lot of twenty pences to get to break even :D

It's primarily about walking about in the country and meeting up with like-minded individuals.

Similarly to fishing you don't actually wish to catch anything; you just want to be out in nature with a nice view and a faux purpose.

• Agree 3
MrPin
18 hours ago, Erewhon888 said:

One word: Guitar

Guitar might be a tough one if you haven't tried it before retirement.

Erewhon888
22 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Guitar might be a tough one if you haven't tried it before retirement.

True, but I know people who took it up in retirement because of the tough challenge and these days with Youtube, Instagram, and tutor apps you can become very involved even if your discipline is lacking. My discipline is non-existent but I still spend at least an hour a day entertaining myself playing a variety of pieces using a range of technology. With all the toys available these days even basic stuff can sound impressive.

MrPin
1 minute ago, Erewhon888 said:

True, but I know people who took it up in retirement because of the tough challenge and these days with Youtube, Instagram, and tutor apps you can become very involved even if your discipline is lacking. My discipline is non-existent but I still spend at least an hour a day entertaining myself playing a variety of pieces using a range of technology. With all the toys available these days even basic stuff can sound impressive.

The "stuff" you can get today, for not that much, was a total fantasy to my younger self. Even my sister has taken up guitar, at the age of 50.

You don't need to pay much for a very reasonable guitar, or a competent keyboard.

• Agree 2
Libspero

Studying most of our neighbours,  the favourite pastime is gardening and eating overpriced coffee and cake in the local “garden centre”.

Perhaps a starting point?

Or something from his youth..  model plane making or home brewing? Ham radio perhaps?