DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What's a good thing to get into?

The XYY Man
On 11/01/2021 at 00:43, lid said:

My dad's retired, bit of a drinker, enjoys a whisky, watches same old shite on telly..

spends his life on the couch. I wanna get him into something, and to be honest I'd have a go myself. That archaeology looks ok. Dad and lad time.

what say ye

DOSBODS.

He'll be up out of his chair and running around Tesco without a mask in no time at all...!

Buying coffee machines, eighteen-blade razors, and Fray Bentos pies like there was no fucking tomorrow...

XYY

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3
MrLibertyRedux
11 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

DOSBODS.

He'll be up out of his chair and running around Tesco without a mask in no time at all...!

Buying coffee machines, eighteen-blade razors, and Fray Bentos pies like there was no fucking tomorrow...

XYY

Either that or he will throw the telly out and sit alone in the near darkness of a Toc H lamp.

• Lol 1
Fully Detached

Thirded on the metal detecting / archaeology suggestions, largely because there's so much diverse activity on the peripherals that could keep him occupied when he isn't actually detecting / digging. I am also a great lover of all things gun related but it's not for everyone.

So I will make a somewhat embarrassing suggestion of Geocaching, on the basis that it's completely free to have a go and requires nothing more than a smart phone and a willingness to get off your arse. For a few quid you can get a premium membership which opens up a load more. It's been an almighty saviour for us during lockdown - my wife loves puzzles and I love walking and a bit of geekery. So she spends all of her time on furlough solving puzzle caches, then we go off at weekends to find them - I get the walks and the fun of dicking about with the GPS side of things.

In the last few months we've found the most beautiful walks within 5 miles from home that we would never have found without a geochache to go looking for. The caches themselves are largely shit, but the physical and mental exercise are brilliant.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3
  • Cheers 1
  • 2 months later...
Wight Flight

Have you considered golf?

Really good for older blokes. Lots of camaraderie.

Failing that, bowls.

Long time lurking
On 16/01/2021 at 23:48, The XYY Man said:

DOSBODS.

XYY

Posh cunt

• Lol 1
nirvana

buy an older bike and convert it to an ebike with him.....in fact do a few then you can go out riding with him

Good time of the year for it too

• Agree 1
nirvana
On 24/01/2021 at 22:00, Fully Detached said:

So I will make a somewhat embarrassing suggestion of Geocaching

We tried that many years ago with the offspring when they were little, it was bloody ace!

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 1
Fully Detached
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

We tried that many years ago with the offspring when they were little, it was bloody ace!

Now we're 6 month veterans of it I can confirm it is still providing lots of entertainment. Some of the geocaches are old and badly maintained, others are just shit, but there are some that are absolutely brilliant in their complexity, location etc.

Some of the people involved are bloody weird. I can imagine it suiting a lot of DOSBODSERS :P

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2
  • 3 weeks later...
ste

Just started home brewing myself. Mainly to reduce giving the government taxes as part of my spend reduction but it's quite a relaxing hobby (apart from the cleaning needed).

Have a strawberry, elderflower, black cherry, dry white on the go at various stages which is 24 bottles worth. Will kick off a cider kit this weekend too.

Have spent the last year cutting down my taxable spend, and this is one of the last ones - just fuel left but WFH has made that less a priority. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2
dgul

Find out what he was into when he was 18 (other than girls and parties).

Get him to take that up again.

[In addition, often there's a 'modern slant' to get interested in, eg photography has gone digital, hobby-electronics is all microcontrollers, cycling is all Strava (or whatever), etc.]

• Agree 2
Libspero
On 07/04/2021 at 23:48, Wight Flight said:

Have you considered golf?

Really good for older blokes. Lots of camaraderie.

I’m guessing you spend most of your free time at either Freshwater Bay, or Shanklin  :D

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I’m guessing you spend most of your free time at either Freshwater Bay, or Shanklin  :D

Not yet, but I will when I get some.

I am a hobbyist, and don't really take it very seriously. Must try and get Mrs Flight back out on the links this summer.

• Agree 1
Libspero
22 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I am a hobbyist, and don't really take it very seriously. Must try and get Mrs Flight back out on the links this summer.

I know nothing..  but I imagined there were probably only one or two golf courses on the IoW that could be your local.  Turns out there are three,  but Ventnor only gets three google stars, didn’t imagine you’d settle for that ;)

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I know nothing..  but I imagined there were probably only one or two golf courses on the IoW that could be your local.  Turns out there are three,  but Ventnor only gets three google stars, didn’t imagine you’d settle for that ;)

Venting is a stunning course for the coastal views, but is so far up a dirt track road that it takes ages to get to.

We also have Ryde, Cowes, and the short track at Westridge which is great if you only have 90 minutes after work.

• Informative 1
Wight Flight

I forgot we also have Osborne, which is a lovely little 9 hole next to Osborne House.

It is actually quite an interesting place for a golf holiday.

Edited by Wight Flight
Sucralose Ray Leonard
On 26/04/2021 at 18:29, ste said:

Just started home brewing myself. Mainly to reduce giving the government taxes as part of my spend reduction but it's quite a relaxing hobby (apart from the cleaning needed).

Have a strawberry, elderflower, black cherry, dry white on the go at various stages which is 24 bottles worth. Will kick off a cider kit this weekend too.

Have spent the last year cutting down my taxable spend, and this is one of the last ones - just fuel left but WFH has made that less a priority. 

Perfect time of year to give Dandelion Wine a crack.