DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Lock picking

Roger_Mellie

I needed a new little hobby to get into now that we're in Tier 4 for the foreseeable. 

I've been watching  "Lock picking lawyer" on Youtube for a while and always found it fascinating, so I ordered myself a little starter and practice kit off amazon. 

If the worst comes to the worst and it all goes mad max I might also have a handy skill. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
gilf

I'm sure you will, but let us know how it goes.

Been considering giving it a go for a while, will be interesting to hear what the amazon kit is like.

• Cheers 1
MrLibertyRedux

A kid I went to school learned how to do this.

Endless days hiding behind earth banks waiting for the latest concoction to go bang with whatever we had lifted from the school chemistry store.

Happy days :)

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Everything now is keyless entry. You need a computer and SDR radio

I don't have a single thing that is keyless entry. Aside from my wife, but I'd got that lock picked long ago. 

• Lol 1
spygirl
On 11/01/2021 at 12:35, Roger_Mellie said:

I needed a new little hobby to get into now that we're in Tier 4 for the foreseeable. 

I've been watching  "Lock picking lawyer" on Youtube for a while and always found it fascinating, so I ordered myself a little starter and practice kit off amazon. 

If the worst comes to the worst and it all goes mad max I might also have a handy skill. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Transparent-Cylinder-Locksmith-Beginner/dp/B07WNP2QGW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=98863710211&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEF_6vB8WFD30FFGGB7sw1C-vX64ynIpFnPHxBXRQf2c9G0FHYZXhBPxoC9R8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=415512786605&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007044&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16080084269698890304&hvtargid=kwd-304215147546&hydadcr=29351_1792264&keywords=practice+locks+for+picking&qid=1610703508&sr=8-1-spons&tag=googhydr-21&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNTlKMkVEWUIwQk1KJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTA3NDQwMjBKV0hPMU5aUkxENiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzUwODk1MU5PR1RWVUpLOVRVNyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Here you go.

Im sure theres a sub-set of locks used at the student nurse house.

The Masked Tulip

I keep meaning to order a kit from Amazon so would be interested how you get on, which one you purchased, etc.

LPL makes it look so easy.

I keep have dreams of hiding the kit in my back garden so that I can get in if I lock myself out. Probably easier to hide a key there.  

longtomsilver
On 11/01/2021 at 17:35, MrLibertyRedux said:

A kid I went to school learned how to do this.

Endless days hiding behind earth banks waiting for the latest concoction to go bang with whatever we had lifted from the school chemistry store.

Happy days :)

The good 'ol days - as an inquisitive school boy today you'd find yourself on the governments prevent programme and be branded far-right in all the national news portals.

I cringe that I used to play with weed killer and fertiliser pilfered from the nearby farms. It would fill me with terror if my own child experimented in the way I did. My biggest bang made a crater on land that is still there to this day, shook tiles of a pig sty and concerned neighbours enough that the police were called and two police cars did a loop of the village then retreated. My innate sense of survival kicked in and I called it a day on those antics 30 years ago 😂

• Agree 2
  • Lol 5
Green Devil
5 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

The good 'ol days - as an inquisitive school boy today you'd find yourself on the governments prevent programme and be branded far-right in all the national news portals.

I cringe that I used to play with weed killer and fertiliser pilfered from the nearby farms. It would fill me with terror if my own child experimented in the way I did. My biggest bang made a crater on land that is still there to this day, shook tiles of a pig sty and concerned neighbours enough that the police were called and two police cars did a loop of the village then retreated. My innate sense of survival kicked in and I called it a day on those antics 30 years ago 😂

Indeed. I remember one time we locked our teacher in the store cupboard after they popped in for supplies for the entire lesson. The class then proceeded to fool around for the duration. The bell finally went and we skooted and left the teacher in the cupboard. They were then rescued by the  next teacher :Jumping: I doubt the kids of today would even dare THINK such a thing today :CryBaby:

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Roger_Mellie
2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I keep meaning to order a kit from Amazon so would be interested how you get on, which one you purchased, etc.

LPL makes it look so easy.

I keep have dreams of hiding the kit in my back garden so that I can get in if I lock myself out. Probably easier to hide a key there.  

I got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luxebell-24-Piece-Transparent-Practice-Locksmith/dp/B07S3SXW2V/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=lock+picking+set+for+beginners&qid=1610801193&sprefix=Lock+picking+set&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=AC74SSF6P3H9E&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzJCWlIyTERWVzY2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDI5NjU2MUxLSDZJQ0FYVjFKNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM3MzM1M1MyS0tPVEpROUw5RiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

It's really not as easy as LPL makes it look. I can open basic padlocks with a rake attack, I do wonder how many are vulnerable to this? 

But still not any good with single pin picking. Feels like when I open the locks using single pin picking its more by luck than skill. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
The Masked Tulip
2 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Indeed. I remember one time we locked our teacher in the store cupboard after they popped in for supplies for the entire lesson. The class then proceeded to fool around for the duration. The bell finally went and we skooted and left the teacher in the cupboard. They were then rescued by the  next teacher :Jumping: I doubt the kids of today would even dare THINK such a thing today :CryBaby:

They are too busy by the teachers being trained how to get you deplatformed, fired, locked up and...

Long time lurking
On 11/01/2021 at 12:35, Roger_Mellie said:

That`s a great Chanel the one where he uses gallium to dissolve a lock was an eyeopener for me ,a vindictive person could cause some damage with that stuff

Roger_Mellie
56 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

That`s a great Chanel the one where he uses gallium to dissolve a lock was an eyeopener for me ,a vindictive person could cause some damage with that stuff

I haven't seen that one. He's insanely skilled though. The only lock I've seen that has him completely stumped is the Bowley lock, which is simple yet very clever. I don't know why all locks aren't designed the same way. 

The XYY Man
4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I haven't seen that one. He's insanely skilled though. The only lock I've seen that has him completely stumped is the Bowley lock, which is simple yet very clever. I don't know why all locks aren't designed the same way. 

Very skilled people indeed. But I'm a bit more pragmatic - and thus a fair bit cheaper.

If I can't kick your fucking door in within ten seconds, then I am not fit to be called a Hartlepudlian...

XYY

• Lol 1
Roger_Mellie
3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Very skilled people indeed. But I'm a bit more pragmatic - and thus a fair bit cheaper.

If I can't kick your fucking door in within ten seconds, then I am not fit to be called a Hartlepudlian...

XYY

You couldnt kick the skin off a rice fucking pudding. 

gilf
On 22/01/2021 at 23:57, Roger_Mellie said:

It it clever, but I suspect there are a couple of problems with it.

I think ultimately you want a lock that actually can be picked. What happens when you can't find your key? Picking locks isn't something that really ever happens in real life in my experience. XYY has a point that most entry is either via some other method, or you just kick the door in.

Never used one, but look like a lot of faff for a user also.

• 4 weeks later...
the gardener
On 16/01/2021 at 11:16, Green Devil said:

We locked our psychotic music teacher and his whole class inside the music block for the whole lunchtime 😂

They only got out when the caretaker retrieved his bolt-cutters and removed the bike lock. 

I'm surprised he didn't murder one of the kids he was shut inside with, he was that mad. He'd never be allowed to work as a teacher now. 

In hindsight it was a stupid and dangerous thing to do and would no doubt result in a well-deserved expulsion. 

Just as well they never caught the culprit then. 😂😂

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Andersen
On 22/01/2021 at 22:59, Long time lurking said:

I know of Gallium but never heard that it destroys alloy - just saw the vid earlier today O.o

• Informative 2
Green Devil
On 21/03/2021 at 10:10, Andersen said:

I know of Gallium but never heard that it destroys alloy - just saw the vid earlier today O.o

All my shitty chinese padlocks look like that after just one winter in the garden and the good ole british weather :CryBaby:

Edited by Green Devil
  • Lol 1
Van Lady
On 21/03/2021 at 10:10, Andersen said:

Never heard of gallium before. Interesting. Another reason why I love this forum....frequently I’m prompted to read up on stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium

Roger_Mellie
42 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

@Roger_Mellieare you still working on becoming a mini lock picking lawyer?

Ha ha, no! It's much harder than he makes it look and I got fed up of randomly picking locks by luck rather than skill. 

• Informative 1
Dogtania
47 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Ha ha, no! It's much harder than he makes it look and I got fed up of randomly picking locks by luck rather than skill. 

Oh no🙁. I was hoping your advances would spur me into maybe buying a kit.

I knew someone that got a kit a few years ago and think it was similar for him.

Practice makes perfect though I'm not sure you could justify 10k hours into.  Does seem to be a superpower at least for the lawyer though.