DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

National Grid issue a warning due to supply & demand, and the unexpected cold winter temperatures !

The National Grid issues a warning and asks if generators can provide more power but there's no need to be concerned. Summary "The engines canna take it Captain"  https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-electricity/britains-national-grid-issues-warning-for-electricity-system-tightness-on-friday-idUSKBN29D0SF

Factors include heating demand due to the unexpected cold snap (it's winter 9_9 ), non-productive winds farms (due to a week long low high pressure system over most of Europe?), poor solar production (it's winter FFS !), most of the population addicted to consuming elec and now spending all their time at home (wfh/furlow/bennies - and kept indoors by lockdown ), the rise in demand from elec vehicles, and nimby "Say No to Neuclear power" campaigns  https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/cold-snap-forces-uk-electricity-market-prices-to-new-high/

What could possibly go wrong :S

wind.png

Edited by Andersen
add pretty pictures
19 minutes ago, Andersen said:

The National Grid issues a warning and asks if generators can provide more power but there's no need to be concerned. Summary "The engines canna take it Captain"  https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-electricity/britains-national-grid-issues-warning-for-electricity-system-tightness-on-friday-idUSKBN29D0SF

Factors include heating demand due to the unexpected cold snap (it's winter 9_9 ), non-productive winds farms (due to a week long low high pressure system over most of Europe?), poor solar production (it's winter FFS !), most of the population addicted to consuming elec and now spending all their time at home (wfh/furlow/bennies - and kept indoors by lockdown ), the rise in demand from elec vehicles, and nimby "Say No to Neuclear power" campaigns  https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/cold-snap-forces-uk-electricity-market-prices-to-new-high/

wind.png

The UK should certainly keep the remaining coal fired stations operational in the UK until some new nuclear capacity is in place. Gas supply and storage is too variable to completely rely on these

Perhaps longer term build some extra pump storage capacity - and by this I mean large units. Plenty of potential sites in the Uk although mainly in Scotland and Wales. 

ANU finds 530,000 potential pumped-hydro sites worldwide - ANU

31 minutes ago, Andersen said:

wind.png

Well Simon said there would be power cuts.:P

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I read last week that electricity producers were getting a £1 a kWh due to electricity demand...

Bring on smart meters to try and reduce demand at peak times.

Bring on tidal and hydro power as well.

Well I can assure you that I'm not; I'm still on the 19.3p that I was last quarter for my lovely green solar electricity.

Maybe I ought to haggle?

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

I read last week that electricity producers were getting a £1 a kWh due to electricity demand...

Bring on smart meters to try and reduce demand at peak times.

Bring on tidal and hydro power as well.

With everyone watching bidders, surely there is no peaks in demand any more (everyone staggers their kettle for the end of their own episode - although that would make planning more difficult). 

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Does anyone remember that thread about diesel generators hidden on industrial estates? I can't find it now.

I do remember the thread. Don't think it was necessarily industrial estates, more sort of lock up compounds near to appropriate points on the national grid.

On the French TV they told us to turn a light bulb off

"because if everyone did it, it would be the equivalent to a city the size of Toulouse"

No mention of the 500K migrants they let in each and every year, more than a city the size of Toulouse. Plus the ones from the South spend all their time bitchin' about how cold it is here, nothing like the traffiker promised.

EDF say they add 160k houses per year to the French grid, consuming on average 4 770 kWh. That's a lot of lightbulbs extra each year.

People stuck at home on Furlough and not allowed out. 

People stuck at home working and not allowed out.

Offices still open for skeleton staff and still need heating, water boilers still on for hot water, etc etc.

Stands to reason more juice is needed.

13 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

can't they put solar panels in peoples lounges and then when short of electricity broadcast a 4k HDR picture of the sun to boost electricity production, could also use pictures of glaciers in the summer for cooling, no would still need sun.

Have you patented this already or can I do it?

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Some power stations have power packs built around gas turbines - had one on a test stand at one of my jobs,  an old RR avon, run as a twin pack and being serviced, from a power station in Belgium.  So the idea is certainly not new.

Businesses have done this too. We replaced the shitty back up gensets at our data centre with proper Wartsilla heavy duty jobbies. We get some money from Nat Grid by having them available at immediate notice if the grid is under strain. Better use of them than periodically running them to cycle through the diesel. Its also getting better use from a single asset. 

1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

can't they put solar panels in peoples lounges and then when short of electricity broadcast a 4k HDR picture of the sun to boost electricity production, could also use pictures of glaciers in the summer for cooling, no would still need sun.

Not quite that but as I am paid for electricty generated - the amount I use is irrelevant - I wondered about the economics of rigging up high power lights to shine upon my solar panels when the sun is shining and maybe up their output by 50%.