DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Just found an old rates bill for this place

4 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

The amount for the year was £158.70 for 1989/1990.

For the last year the council tax was £131 per month, a bit more for the first month so call it £1320 for the year.

Inflation in fiat is supposed to double every decade so £160 -> £320 -> £640 -> £1280 sounds about right. 

14 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Inflation in fiat is supposed to double every decade so £160 -> £320 -> £640 -> £1280 sounds about right. 

Salaries appear to have not stick to the same formula... Everyone should be on 100k+

Figures are as usual though what you make of them.  Couldn't be arsed to search much so the first article i found with then made do... BBC from 2000 re housing... Might be interesting to some:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/593477.stm

I've long since stopped bothering about that particular market.

4 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

A community charge bill, poll tax has just appeared in the clear up. Date of issue April 1990. £286.87. Now this is per person so we are now looking at over £560 for the same flat. About three and a half times the previous years rates bill.

Now your £560 in 1991 is equivalent to about £1200 now so it looks like it was your post Poll Tax change that stiffed you over.  

Just now, 23rdian said:

Now your £560 in 1991 is equivalent to about £1200 now so it looks like it was your post Poll Tax change that stiffed you over.  

I hope we trip over the first council tax bill during this clear out. As far as I remember, that was another big jump.

I think that the only lesson is that any changes to the structure of any part of the taxation system will mean higher taxes, no matter what claims are made by the proponents of said change.

6 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

One bed flat. To my mind incredibly expensive way to get the dustbins emptied.

I'll never look at my wheelie bin the same way. The shite I throw out is effectively worth £100 odd a month. What a mindfuck.

Well, that and fat Joan at the council's generous pension.

2 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

The amount for the year was £158.70 for 1989/1990.

For the last year the council tax was £131 per month, a bit more for the first month so call it £1320 for the year.

Our council tax bill is £4032 a year! 

£336 per month .... for what?

Live in Northumberland.

I couldn’t believe it when I found out! Christ that’s like the rent I’d pay on a house! 

Edited by Vendetta
34 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Our council tax bill is £4032 a year! 

£336 per month .... for what?

Live in Northumberland.

I couldn’t believe it when I found out! Christ that’s like the rent I’d pay on a house! 

Lot of public sector wages and pensions aren't going to pay themselves you know.  

Chances are you're not going to get out of paying that so the trick is to get yourself on the other side of that equation. Get some of that sweet sweet public money into your pocket. 

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Lot of public sector wages and pensions aren't going to pay themselves you know.  

Chances are you're not going to get out of paying that so the trick is to get yourself on the other side of that equation. Get some of that sweet sweet public money into your pocket. 

I’m doing my bit I get 130 a week from the council they are getting a fucking bargain 

9 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

What is your council tax? Public sector will bankrupt the economy eventually. 

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’m doing my bit I get 130 a week from the council they are getting a fucking bargain 

Nice work.  But there must be more in it for you. You got to dig deeper into that rich seam of cash.  Fuck they'll even provide someone to advise you on how to get more, in, I believe any language of your choice.