DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Are we still printing official bits of paper in eleventy thirty languages, now that we have really, really left the EU?

My mate's girlfriend overheard someone in Greggs saying that Klingon is to be forced on UK as an official language by the lizard-controlled WHO supposedly in order to "combat covid" - yeah right.

We must strongly fight back against this jackboot on our fnargs.

https://www.translate.com/english-klingon

I used to play tennis with a guy that made a fortune out of this.

Every council had to be able to answer the phone and engage with the resident in one of 40+ languages. Obviously they couldn't do this themselves.

He set up a large office (Reading or Hounslow, can't remember but I did go there once) and employed people that could speak every language. 

When a council got a caller they couldn't understand, they transferred the call to him. He tapped in to their databases, and dealt with whatever the caller wanted.

IIRC he charged each council £250k per year as a standing charge, then per call. This was early 1990s

The councils reckoned it saved them a fortune. And he made one.