DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How do people afford to book a holiday in January?

One of life's mysteries for me. Everyone's apparently SKINT and we've just had Christmas, which depletes your funds even more.

How do people afford to book a holiday in January? I have never understood it, and I'm careful with my money compared to many. The last thing I would dream of spending £2k on right now is a holiday in 8 months time.

Is it all debt/never never?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a single mother gets £20,000 in free money a year and her 'ex' who she's 'not living with' gets whatever, maybe the same, maybe more, what's to stop them getting a cheap flight?

Dunno about anyone else but my savings have rocketed since last March.

They only pay a small deposit, at the moment they are pushing hols with a £60 one (or less). Nothing to pay till 6 weeks before you fly or something like that.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

One of life's mysteries for me. Everyone's apparently SKINT and we've just had Christmas, which depletes your funds even more.

How do people afford to book a holiday in January? I have never understood it, and I'm careful with my money compared to many. The last thing I would dream of spending £2k on right now is a holiday in 8 months time.

For everything else there's MasterCard. Has to be, know too many people who are up to their eyes in it.

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

How do people afford to book a holiday in January?

They only pay a small deposit, at the moment they are pushing hols with a £60 one (or less).

Nothing to pay till 6 weeks before you fly or something like that.

Edited by Chewing Grass

I’m surprised I’m the first smug git on here to comment that I’m anything but skint and the time of month or year has no impact on my purchasing decisions.

I was genuinely surprised last time I went to Costco and it was rammed: I mentioned it to someone working there and he said “Yeah, it’s payday.”

Shrugs.

Tbh, I couldn't live not having a couple of months salary at hand... 

When I started my present job I wasn't paid for a couple of months because they fucked up. To use the language of the kids, I was just like "whatever".

The family down the road were rumoured to get a loan every christmas and pay it off over the year, before getting another loan... 

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

Mortgage paid off. :Old:

But can't even have fucking a few weeks in the sun now. 

Edited by tlc

Maybe not actual January but early February is a great time to go on holiday. Used to go winter-holidaying in America and Canada (I don't actually ski as such but do like snow and ice hockey.) Flights cheap, hotels cheap, why not.

32 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

For everything else there's MasterCard. Has to be, know too many people who are up to their eyes in it.

I tend to agree, so many people are in debt, which has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads perhaps, but I just find it so bizarre how so many people have clearly become accustomed to that lifestyle. If I owe money to someone, I worry, yet many of them don't seem to care. Only got £200 in my account? Fuck it, I'll put £60 into a deposit for a holiday and worry about the remaining £1800 balance in July...

Maybe I am just jealous, and should start to live my life in this way :S

14 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Dunno about anyone else but my savings have rocketed since last March.

Nope. Stuck in the UK March-July earning EE wages with UK prices. Just about breaking even now. Last threw times money came out of my wallet for leaving presents / charity donation. 

Edited by The Generation Game

I tend to agree, so many people are in debt, which has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads perhaps, but I just find it so bizarre how so many people have clearly become accustomed to that lifestyle. If I owe money to someone, I worry, yet many of them don't seem to care. Only got £200 in my account? Fuck it, I'll put £60 into a deposit for a holiday and worry about the remaining £1800 balance in July...

Maybe I am just jealous, and should start to live my life in this way :S

I think the issue is that it's hard to get out of it, or at least it's easier to just stick your head in the sand and carry on.

I managed to clear my debt (which wasn't massive, but a bit limiting) via house sale equity, I don't think I could have done it without that. Not been in a single penny of debt since and nor will I ever be.

Edited by gilf
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

And that Monsieur Spunko, is the difference 

I think you are right. And the anecdotes are everywhere if you look; at lunchtime I was queuing in the corner shop, person in front of me - almost definitely not a stranger to Class A - was buying loads of vodka, he didn't have enough money to pay in his bank account so tried to pay in cash, but was refused service as he already owed Raj a fiver from last week...

Person in front of him was some professional-looking trout lady who spent 20 quid on scratchcards and nothing else.

I think you are right. And the anecdotes are everywhere if you look; at lunchtime I was queuing in the corner shop, person in front of me - almost definitely not a stranger to Class A - was buying loads of vodka, he didn't have enough money to pay in his bank account so tried to pay in cash, but was refused service as he already owed Raj a fiver from last week...

Person in front of him was some professional-looking trout lady who spent 20 quid on scratchcards and nothing else.

I used to work with a guy many years ago, used to spend all his wages on booze and in the bookies. We were paid weekly and every week without fail he would be skint by Monday and have to borrow money from his mum.

Pay day comes and he is of course immediately down £30 as he has to pay his mum back.... and the cycle continues the next week.

The obvious answer would be careful for a week and you are back on an even keel, reality is it would just be an extra £30 in the bookies that week.

---

As for the original question, I think people who go on "those sorts of holidays" tend to be skrimpers and saver types, so will be sticking money away for their big yearly holiday in Torremolinos.

Edited by gilf
43 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, I couldn't live not having a couple of months salary at hand... 

When I started my present job I wasn't paid for a couple of months because they fucked up. To use the language of the kids, I was just like "whatever".

The family down the road were rumoured to get a loan every christmas and pay it off over the year, before getting another loan... 

I remember at one company I worked for, some staff were running around like headless chickens because payday was delayed by, I think, two days due to a glitch of some sort. Lots of conversations along the lines of 'how can anyone be expected to have savings nowadays' etc.

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

I’m surprised I’m the first smug git on here to comment that I’m anything but skint and the time of month or year has no impact on my purchasing decisions.

I was genuinely surprised last time I went to Costco and it was rammed: I mentioned it to someone working there and he said “Yeah, it’s payday.”

Shrugs.

Agree

The month of year makes no difference to me, the only thing that might affect me is unforseen expenditure. I budget for everything foreseen, years in advance.

Edited by Hopeful
1 hour ago, spunko said:

You only put the deposit down I think, and pay the rest about 2 months before you go. 

Normally we go away for Jan makes for a much better start to the year.