Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Pizza Oven (DIY)


spunko
 Share

Recommended Posts

They're a bit nouveau riche but I want to replace my old grotty B&Q barbecue with a pizza oven or fire pit. Something to keep warm in the summer and also to cook on. For some reason the kits are ludicrously expensive, i.e. £3k or something for what appears to be bricks.

Would something like this be as easy as I imagine for the competent DIY-er?

cache_57512479.jpg?t=1550121048

 

(But on a smaller scale, I don't need the cupboards and no electrics needed).

It would just be essentially a brick oven or tandoor type thing, if you can do brickwork and make a structure out of timbers, plus the roof (pegtiles are piss easy). I am worried I am missing something and it's going to be a ballache.

cache_57512481.jpg?t=1550121662

I'd probably get someone in on day rates to do the base/groundwork as I hate doing that, but the rest looks fairly easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobthebuilder

You should pop over to the deflation thread spunko, experts on pizza ovens over there.

I think this should be easy enough to do, looks nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Green Devil

Arches can be tricky, especially if youre not good at bricklaying. If its a first attempt you should be able to get something up, but it might not look perfect. The groundwork is probably the easier bit, pay the bricky a days labour even if its just to get you started off. He could probably do most of it in a day anyway if hes half decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Arches can be tricky, especially if youre not good at bricklaying. If its a first attempt you should be able to get something up, but it might not look perfect. The groundwork is probably the easier bit, pay the bricky a days labour even if its just to get you started off. He could probably do most of it in a day anyway if hes half decent.

I've always found bricklaying a piece of piss personally. Arches I thought were the pinnacle of bricklaying but looking on YouTube they just seem to use a mould or temporary support...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

swiss_democracy_for_all
20 hours ago, spunko said:

They're a bit nouveau riche but I want to replace my old grotty B&Q barbecue with a pizza oven or fire pit. Something to keep warm in the summer and also to cook on. For some reason the kits are ludicrously expensive, i.e. £3k or something for what appears to be bricks.

Would something like this be as easy as I imagine for the competent DIY-er?

cache_57512479.jpg?t=1550121048

 

(But on a smaller scale, I don't need the cupboards and no electrics needed).

It would just be essentially a brick oven or tandoor type thing, if you can do brickwork and make a structure out of timbers, plus the roof (pegtiles are piss easy). I am worried I am missing something and it's going to be a ballache.

cache_57512481.jpg?t=1550121662

I'd probably get someone in on day rates to do the base/groundwork as I hate doing that, but the rest looks fairly easy.

 

The only person I know who built a pizza oven had to do the whole thing again from scratch, so he ended up building it twice, with all the hassle of dismantling and getting rid of the materials from his first effort. The bloke isn't the sharpest knife in the block, mind, but his job is a practical one building/maintaining sports halls so I'd have expected him to manage it ok.

There are quite a few potential pitfalls I think, an obvious one is that it must deal with both very high and very cold temps without cracking. Special materials for everything. I daresay Youtube can give you all the pointers you need. 

Good luck!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Fully Detached

I looked at this, and as a stepping stone made one of those "pop up" ones you see on youtube out of some bricks and patio slabs. One exploding slab and some shit pizzas later, I've decided it's not for me.

The final nail in the coffin was when I looked at one of those gas fired Ooni things, and reading some of the comments, I found that your Neapolitan "bakes in 90 seconds" pizzas is never going to have a crispy base. Which was the whole point for me. Instead, we have a kitchen oven that will hit 240C and will crisp up a home made base in about 7 minutes. Cost £300 and does lots of other shit as well.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I looked at this, and as a stepping stone made one of those "pop up" ones you see on youtube out of some bricks and patio slabs. One exploding slab and some shit pizzas later, I've decided it's not for me.

The final nail in the coffin was when I looked at one of those gas fired Ooni things, and reading some of the comments, I found that your Neapolitan "bakes in 90 seconds" pizzas is never going to have a crispy base. Which was the whole point for me. Instead, we have a kitchen oven that will hit 240C and will crisp up a home made base in about 7 minutes. Cost £300 and does lots of other shit as well.

I think those Ooni things are pretty ugly personally, you can buy them on AliExpress unbranded/fake for about £20 so the markup is huge. I also don't want to faff about with gas or electric, so that rules them out.

I also don't have an oven, well only a bloody AGA one, which is another story altogether :S

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...