DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A world you don't see

Fake olive oil and smuggling is big business. Hacked security cameras and armed men turning up at night with tankers to steal it and the rest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2086440/amp/Olive-oil-Fraud-intimidation-unpalatable-truth.html

Arms dealing also fascinates me. 

You want to watch operation Odessa on YouTube.

I watched most of it thinking this is so ridiculous it can't be true. But seems it is. 

They are all like actors in some film - but again looks like all real. 

The Cuban / Colombian cartel bloke. :ph34r:xD

2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Fake olive oil and smuggling is big business. Hacked security cameras and armed men turning up at night with tankers to steal it and the rest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2086440/amp/Olive-oil-Fraud-intimidation-unpalatable-truth.html

Arms dealing also fascinates me. 

Please watch what I recommended.

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Does anyone ever get the feeling that their life is small and lacking in adventure? I read this story this morning and it gave me that feeling.

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2021/1/14/venezuela-s-false-flag-tankers-cause-headaches-for-law-abiding-nations

Many Dosbodians spend many hours on here, pontificating on the whys and wherefores of the US election and bemoaning their lack of freedom. 

Meanwhile someone is running oil tankers under false flags to avoid sanctions, using it to load up crude in Venezuela, flogging it who knows where and making millions. 

And probably not giving a fuck about Joe Biden. 

Yeah agreed must be a lot more interesting than most lives.

I'd want to be ex-SAS (one of the smarter ones) or something to be involved in that kind of stuff though, I imagine you encounter some pretty tough types and have to keep your wits about you at all times.

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah agreed must be a lot more interesting than most lives.

I'd want to be ex-SAS (one of the smarter ones) or something to be involved in that kind of stuff though, I imagine you encounter some pretty tough types and have to keep your wits about you at all times.

I would think your day to day con artist would be best equipped for this type of thing. 

I doubt there's much actual jumping off helicopters with rifles in hand :D

I've no doubt these type of operations involve this type of person for protection etc.

However those organising it and actually doing the "work" will just be scamsters imo. 

Fair play to them. :D

A former colleague flirts at the edge of this stuff, usually providing close protection to ‘business men’ visiting some of the ‘more dynamic and freethinking’ parts of the world*. He is just back from a stint in Mosul and is pretty bemused by Covid and all the related palaver.

*His words, not mine.

I put this in the "I don't know where to post it thread" earlier this morning, but it certainly fits here. I called it a 'gem'

I think it would be impossible to not find this interview in 3 parts interesting

Behind the scenes in the Falklands conflict as told by the leader of the amphibious task force

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80012519

1 hour ago, ccc said:

You want to watch operation Odessa on YouTube.

I watched most of it thinking this is so ridiculous it can't be true. But seems it is. 

They are all like actors in some film - but again looks like all real. 

The Cuban / Colombian cartel bloke. :ph34r:xD

Please watch what I recommended.

28 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I put this in the "I don't know where to post it thread" earlier this morning, but it certainly fits here. I called it a 'gem'

I think it would be impossible to not find this interview in 3 parts interesting

Behind the scenes in the Falklands conflict as told by the leader of the amphibious task force

:Beer:

I'll give those both a watch later.

3 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Does anyone ever get the feeling that their life is small and lacking in adventure? I read this story this morning and it gave me that feeling.

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2021/1/14/venezuela-s-false-flag-tankers-cause-headaches-for-law-abiding-nations

Many Dosbodians spend many hours on here, pontificating on the whys and wherefores of the US election and bemoaning their lack of freedom. 

Meanwhile someone is running oil tankers under false flags to avoid sanctions, using it to load up crude in Venezuela, flogging it who knows where and making millions. 

And probably not giving a fuck about Joe Biden. 

Reminds me of two local gents, both long since departed.  They were senior citizens when I was the youngest in the pub.  They'd been gun-runners for Franco in the 1930's.  Well, they'd crewed a ship engaging in that, at least.  Normal pay.  But, £1 each day 'danger-money' while the weapons were on board.  Average wage back then was £1 sumthin a week.  Liverpool - A Coruna.

Have tried to look for any historical accounts, but it seems such practice wasn't allowed by UK government.  So, it's just an unwritten bit of history.

Another one which I did get to see, is free divers and their community whilst in Dahab.

Some friends and I went on a dive specifically to watch them. Something quite remarkable about being at a hundred feet below and watching someone go swimming down a line past you until they disappear past the level of visibility below in nothing but a mask and fins.

I thought divers generally were a tribe but these guys are something else.

Not necessarily deep for free diving, but I was there not long after this guy dived The Arch at the Blue Hole. Beyond limits for recreational diving with scuba equipment, which is why it is notorious for the number of deaths there.

4 mins.

Every time I have come back off a diving trip, everything looks monochrome for a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

When we were kids we used to play football on a field near a block of flats.

Quite often an elderly man who lived in a second floor flat with his Mother, who was even older than he was, used to open his window, call us over, and throw out handfuls of sweets and chocolate bars.

Over time, as they were getting on in age, they stopped going to the shops, so they asked us to go to the garage for cigarettes on our bikes.

Back then cigarettes were sold to children. 

We went up the stairs to the flat, they gave us the money, we went for the cigarettes, and they gave us something for going.

Eventually, I ended up doing all their shopping and got to know them really well.

They kept themselves to themselves, they didn't really bother with their neighbours. Nobody knew much about them really.

I always showed them the records I bought as they were both able to play piano and were very interested in music. 

The day I bought Elton John's Goodbye Yellowbrick Road album they opened the gatefold sleeve and both pointed at Candle In The Wind. 

They went into the lounge and brought me a photo in a frame.

It was a signed picture of him with Marilyn Monroe on his arm. 

He had emigrated from Pontypridd to Quebec with his family, one of whom married a sawmill owner, and had a son born in Ste Catherine, who later became a top Hollywood star of his day.

Glenn Ford.

This unassuming old codger had spent most of the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s, as Ford's personal valet, driver, and friend.

He returned from America to Wales to look after his Mother.

The stories about Ford were quite astounding.

That's probably when I realised that when you see old people, often you have no clue of the things they have seen and done in their lives.

There's a big world to find out there if you only choose to look for it. :)

One of my great regrets is not talking more to elderly relatives before they passed. I think that's why things like the World at War were so good, because there is no one left to tell you those anecdotes now. 

21 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

One of my great regrets is not talking more to elderly relatives before they passed. I think that's why things like the World at War were so good, because there is no one left to tell you those anecdotes now. 

The World at War is one of my regular fall backs on Yesterday. Three observations of it

- sometimes it cheers me up in a kind of 'realise how good you have it' way. Other times the opposite.

- the older I get, the nearer in history it seems. Especially since my birthdate is now closer to its end than the current date

- its lessons have been lost; the 80-year generational memory thing.

4 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Part two is especially instructive, is that really how you go to war? The donkeys are still in charge it seems.

Does anyone ever get the feeling that their life is small and lacking in adventure?

I'm sure I posted here ages and ages ago ....  I read David Niven's autobiography ...  he lists all these adventures about being in the army and Hollywood and travelling all over, then says '..then I turned 21...'.  I thought, Fuck me - at 21 I had just about managed to get the barman to pour me 'the usual'.