DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Guitar tips and useful advice

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy to help any one who can't play guitar who wants to learn or provide advice or tips for those wishing to improve.  

Nice. I have a lot of guitars and amps that I collected when I used to tour. Here's my practice amp.

I’m primarily a jazz player. So, I do melody first, always. Chords behind them and then work out the key for improvisation. That piece is a chord melody piece and I’m afraid, I’m useless at that style

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

learning johnny b goode at the mo off a You Tube vid....flippin' 'eck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCeUBf37Sro&t=601s

It’s not an easy one this. But the verses are all standard status quo style shuffle. 
Work on it in clear stages. The double stop slide to the bottom two strings. Then make sure your bend on the g string is to pitch. Just do the single string to start. Then slowly start to cycle the loop after the bed to include the top 2 strings. Then worry about the little run which includes the 2nd finger taking an out of pentatonic note (the major third - makes it bluesy) and lastly do not rush. Do not even try to play it up to speed when learning. Get it down at half bpm and work your way up. Trust me, that’s the way to learn. 

3 hours ago, Theboltonfury said:

It’s not an easy one this. But the verses are all standard status quo style shuffle. 
Work on it in clear stages. The double stop slide to the bottom two strings. Then make sure your bend on the g string is to pitch. Just do the single string to start. Then slowly start to cycle the loop after the bed to include the top 2 strings. Then worry about the little run which includes the 2nd finger taking an out of pentatonic note (the major third - makes it bluesy) and lastly do not rush. Do not even try to play it up to speed when learning. Get it down at half bpm and work your way up. Trust me, that’s the way to learn. 

A good position to learn the relationship between say C and Am7 the minor 3rd. Can open the door to being a better guitarist.

6 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

A good position to learn the relationship between say C and Am7 the minor 3rd. Can open the door to being a better guitarist.

Very good Bob. Although the song is in the modality of Bb mixolydian which would make it C Aeolian which would actually make its major parent be Eb. 

but, if you finger an A shape C chord and move your first finger to the A on the E string, you’ve actually got yourself an Am7, which is think what you’re driving at  

1 minute ago, Theboltonfury said:

Very good Bob. Although the song is in the modality of Bb mixolydian which would make it C Aeolian which would actually make its major parent be Eb. 

but, if you finger an A shape C chord and move your first finger to the A on the E string, you’ve actually got yourself an Am7, which is think what you’re driving at  

Yeah, I also use say a c#m7 in 2nd position on the 4th fret then add my little finger to add the E (like a barred C shape) to make it Emajor. Same sort of thing really. Or C open chord to Am7 open chord, etc.

This might all sound a bit confusing to new players, but it opens you up to a whole new world in blues type playing.

Been working on this Russian waltz for a couple of months.

Hills of Manchuria

There was only music notation available so I slowly worked out different fingering mostly in the middle of the fingerboard. I still can't play at his speed but it sounds too fast to me in his version. Do you think it's too fast or am I just used to my much slower speed?

10 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Yeah, I also use say a c#m7 in 2nd position on the 4th fret then add my little finger to add the E (like a barred C shape) to make it Emajor. Same sort of thing really. Or C open chord to Am7 open chord, etc.

This might all sound a bit confusing to new players, but it opens you up to a whole new world in blues type playing.

Essentially every chord in a relative set are same. C is the same as Am, is the same as B dim. Just changing the root note. 

play a c major at the 3rd fret. Use your first finger to bar. Then move your first finger to the A note on the E. It’s Am7 and the most beautiful and accessible voicing you can get IMO. It’s much preferred by jazz players 

6 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

Hills of Manchuria

There was only music notation available so I slowly worked out different fingering mostly in the middle of the fingerboard. I still can't play at his speed but it sounds too fast to me in his version. Do you think it's too fast or am I just used to my much slower speed?

I think that tempo is perfect. What a great piece of guitar playing that is. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

Hills of Manchuria

Beautiful piece. I always learn any new stuff bar by bar. That tempo shouldn’t challenge. What causes the challenge is uncertainty as to where you’re going and that’s caused by not learning it in many bite size pieces. Bar by bar and any adjoining bars with difficult bits. 

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I am self-taught from sex pistols and ACDC records, but my dad was a pro jazz player and some wiped off on me.

As Eddie Van Halen said “there’s music fact and music theory’ 

I know so much theory. I know about a million chords. I use about 20. 

if I was starting out again I’d avoid all this stuff like the plague and just play stuff that sounds good. EVH didn’t worry himself with whether he was playing chord tones or secondary minor substitutions. He just played the right note with rhythm. 

12 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

Beautiful piece. I always learn any new stuff bar by bar. That tempo shouldn’t challenge. What causes the challenge is uncertainty as to where you’re going and that’s caused by not learning it in many bite size pieces. Bar by bar and any adjoining bars with difficult bits. 

Thanks. I also worked it out slowly experimenting with different fingerings though that really slows down committing it to memory. I now have each of the sections and just need to put it all together. I have been listening to some of the vocal versions to try to get the emphasis back on the melody. Youtube has versions for accordion, orchestra, ensembles and singers. Do you have find it helpful to play just the melody notes in order to have them more in mind when playing the completed piece?

2 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

Thanks. I also worked it out slowly experimenting with different fingerings though that really slows down committing it to memory. I now have each of the sections and just need to put it all together. I have been listening to some of the vocal versions to try to get the emphasis back on the melody. Youtube has versions for accordion, orchestra, ensembles and singers. Do you have find it helpful to play just the melody notes in order to have them more in mind when playing the completed piece?

I’m primarily a jazz player. So, I do melody first, always. Chords behind them and then work out the key for improvisation. That piece is a chord melody piece and I’m afraid, I’m useless at that style (comparatively). Paul Simon is the man for that style IMO. 

1 hour ago, Theboltonfury said:

I’m primarily a jazz player. So, I do melody first, always. Chords behind them and then work out the key for improvisation. That piece is a chord melody piece and I’m afraid, I’m useless at that style (comparatively). Paul Simon is the man for that style IMO.

Was looking for "jazzed" version of Manchurian Hills but found this:

https://youtu.be/PISx5ENGt28

They have several versions up on Youtube.

34 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

I have 6 that I generally try to play equally. 
PRS custom 24

PRS - Al Di Meola Prism

Gibson SG standard

usa Strat

usa Tele

Gretcsh - Electromatic 

Cheapskate!

Do you like the SG? I always thought the LP to be no good in a fight, unlike a Precision Bass.

44 minutes ago, Theboltonfury said:

I have 6 that I generally try to play equally. 
PRS custom 24

PRS - Al Di Meola Prism

Gibson SG standard

usa Strat

usa Tele

Gretcsh - Electromatic 

PRS are very shiney, and expensive.