DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Nigga Music

Roger_Mellie

Roger_Mellie

Thread title comes from a taxi ride I had in Barcelona, a rap song came on and the taxi driver turns to me and says 'you like nigger music'? Pissed myself laughing after I'd got over the shock of the 'N word'. 

Anyhoo, turns out I do.  It's a bit of a guilty pleasure. 

Couple to start with, Cameron 'oh boy' and Lizzo 'batches and cookies'. 

Go against everything the Dosboderati stand for, but I like them. 

Edited by spunko
  • Lol 2

TBH I think most modern rap/R&B is tedious dirge; I much prefer late 80s and 90s hip-hop. But I do quite like the ouevre of world renowned mentalist Azealia Banks:

• Agree 1

Other than the 80's and early 90's stuff from the likes of Ice-T, Run DMC, Public Enemy etc then it's a no from me.

Frank Hovis

Great song, great album.

This has been overplayed to death but was excellent when it was first released:

Quirky New York band:

Simply a fun track. Little Jackie is the name of the band rather than the singer.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
7 hours ago, Rave said:

TBH I think most modern rap/R&B is tedious dirge; I much prefer late 80s and 90s hip-hop. But I do quite like the ouevre of world renowned mentalist Azealia Banks:

Total filth, but I like it. 

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie

This is a favourite of mine, very errr... Dosbods relevant video as well. 

No idea how to delete videos, that was meant to be this:

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Read an article/ interview the other day on Hieroglyphic Being.  Whilst I haven't listened to a lot of his stuff, he's an interesting character and iirc reading a review of one of his records, someone mentioned it's difficult to 'beat match' as the tempo continually shifts.

Apologies in advance to dosbods for source.  And even though I don't I agree with his statement at all, I do see how he arrived at it in a way, from his frame of reference.

I look at myself as being part of a global human culture: black folks create stuff, Asians make the technology and white folks put the dollars behind it.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/01/hieroglyphic-being-jamal-moss-dance-music-producer-interview

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

I don't know what Aretha Franklin would think of this thread. Nor James Brown either.

She'd probably say a little prayer and he'd think it was super bad...

XYY

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

TheBlueCat
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

She'd probably say a little prayer and he'd think it was super bad...

XYY

I'm thinking she would ask for a little bit of respect myself.

• Agree 1

I certainly do like a lot of the music of those brown people.  I also go crazy for shipping up to Boston - a white man’s track indeed!

Sasquatch

I get the backstory but not comfortable with the thread title sitting there on its own. Just my opinion.

I recently bought the W.I.T.C.H cd box set. Fantastic mid 70's band from Zambia of all places.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I get the backstory but not comfortable with the thread title sitting there on its own. Just my opinion.

Agree.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie

The Grey album is a good piece of work. Can't believe how old it is now. 

Love the lyrics to this:

I never claimed to have wings on niggers, I got my by any means on, whenever there's a drout get your umbrellas out because that's when I brainstorm. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie

Battenberg

Some of my favs 

13 hours ago, MrPin said:

I don't know what Aretha Franklin would think of this thread. Nor James Brown either.

I hope Stevie Wonder isn’t reading this thread.

• Lol 2