• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

House clearing

As we gear up for moving home, we need to dispose of lots of stuff.

The outbuilding at the end of the garden has been used to dump things we no longer need or use and is full. There's also plenty to get rid of from inside the house.

There's just too much to make multiple journeys back-and-forth to the local tip by car. So I'm looking at two possibilities: renting a van and renting a skip.

Browsing through sites for skip hire, it looks as though they want the skip contents to be more-or-less "all the same thing". Electrical goods are excluded, for example (old TV, old computers) so it appears that the skip option, which I was thinking is the logical choice, is not in fact an option because the ability to simply dump everything into one skip and have it taken away doesn't seem to exist.

So, the second option is looking best: hire a van. We then turf everything out of the house and outbuilding and stack it in piles of "like things" on the lawn and then load each pile into the van and take it to the tip, so just three trips.

Does this logic sound right to you..

Tips don't like vans so much.  You'll almost certainly need to apply for a permit to get the van to the tip.  It won't cost much (might be free), but you'll have to get it sorted first.

Skips are expensive.

If you cost up your time properly (well, at £10 per hour) it might be cost effective to just use the car.

Yes, get the van for 24 hours though, or at least longer than you think you will need it. Putting stuff in piles so they're not mixed when you get to the tip too, massive ballache otherwise. If you have lots of smaller things, get a big 1 tonne sack from Screwfix, handy for garden waste too. 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/woven-1-tonne-polybag/90147

My local council tip, and I suspect others, require proof of hire to dump stuff, and only one of the two tips allows vans at all. Probably then best to check online with your local council.

The Dennis Nilsen waste disposal strategy is always best - buy some sort of power saw or angle grinder and cut everything up into small pieces and smuggle it out through regular methods. Get a pikey in a van option but make sure there's absolutely nothing to identify you mixed in as you're liable when they inevitably fling it all in a lay by.

Fortunately I have one of these Orwaks in an outbuilding then take the uber-pancaked resulting sack into work where anything gets buried an even bigger compactor skip pakawaste thing.

ORWAK-Flex-5030-Waste-Compactor-IN-BAG_7

Sure there's nothing that would sell? Also we put stuff on drive (to be fair is a busy road) and nearly everything has been snapped up when given away free - if only for someone else to sell on at car boots.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Sure there's nothing that would sell? Also we put stuff on drive (to be fair is a busy road) and nearly everything has been snapped up when given away free - if only for someone else to sell on at car boots.

Put it all in the back of the car in some big new John Lewis polythene carrier bags. Then park it somewhere insalubrious and just leave the boot open and it will probably go even faster.

It depends on how short your horizon for moving is.

My parents were downsizing and over the course of three months I helped my Dad with loading up and two trips to the tip or charity shop either early Saturday or Sunday depending upon which I could make.

It gave my parents a week in between to sort out stuff into sell / charity shop / tip / keep and was a very painless way of doing it.

They moved a couple of months later and were even able to fit in a holiday beforehand; it was totally unstressful.

6 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

There were street corner unofficial public dumping spots when I lived in Queens Park and Shepherds Bush - anything good would disappear  within the hour.

Otherwise, there will be local house/ garage clearance junk businesses who will probably take it all away for free.

Yes, one of the things I do is garage and outbuilding clearance. I don't generally do house clearance but I have for a couple of customers that were moving house and having a clearout. Anything that's any good gets flogged to support the hedgehogs.

Mark, If the stuff is generally usable, try putting it on ebay as a job lot for car booting (collection only). There's also Freecycle. Or you could offer it to local charities but I'm not sure if any would collect.

I'd just hire a skip and pay cash when they deliver it. I do this often as I'm perma-renovating my home. Tell them it'll be filled with general household - no asbestos and no electrical items. Then just put the electrical items at the bottom, and fill it up with other junk so that they can't be seen. Round here in rural Kent I pay £200  for a 6 yard, £230 for an 8 yard (cash). Don't give them your debit card details. The skip is worth more than £200 to them so they will always collect it regardless of what is in it.

One thing to be aware of is that you will likely only be offered a 6 yard skip due to weight restrictions. Presumably it will be sited off-road, otherwise that's another additional ballache.

Don't bother with a van, the council will have CCTV everywhere at the local tip and ANPR, without a 'voucher' they won't let you in.

(Other option is to just dump it outside your house and report it as "the damn pikey's flytipping again". )

4 hours ago, DTMark said:

As we gear up for moving home, we need to dispose of lots of stuff.

The outbuilding at the end of the garden has been used to dump things we no longer need or use and is full. There's also plenty to get rid of from inside the house.

There's just too much to make multiple journeys back-and-forth to the local tip by car. So I'm looking at two possibilities: renting a van and renting a skip.

Browsing through sites for skip hire, it looks as though they want the skip contents to be more-or-less "all the same thing". Electrical goods are excluded, for example (old TV, old computers) so it appears that the skip option, which I was thinking is the logical choice, is not in fact an option because the ability to simply dump everything into one skip and have it taken away doesn't seem to exist.

So, the second option is looking best: hire a van. We then turf everything out of the house and outbuilding and stack it in piles of "like things" on the lawn and then load each pile into the van and take it to the tip, so just three trips.

Does this logic sound right to you..

Leave it where it is and move 

suddenly someone else's problem 

we once bought a house, everything in the house had been taken including the built in cooker and hob 

imagine my surprise upon finding the roof space completely full of old clothes , broken toys and lots of other rubbish 

took a full day to get rid of it 

I go to car boots. What I see generally if there is a probate sale - everything is cleared out by the houseclearance people. You can negotiate how much - they may take it away for free or give you money. They then sell the lot at the car boot (they keep the money).

1. Ring up house clearance people (news paper ads)

2. They take everything away in a truck. (You may pay them, or negotiate - if you have a lot of valuable stuff they may pay you)

3. House is now empty.

4. Go to car boot and pick up more rubbish to fill your new house (optional)

6 hours ago, One percent said:

The third option is to contact your local traveler community. They will take away your rubbish for a fee and then carefully recycle it all for you as shown in this photo 

IMG_0776.JPG

It's got to chronic levels round my way over the past few weeks. I counted 8 piles of shit on my way to work. Including i kid you not an old underground oil tank just dumped by the roadside. Looks like holds about 2000l. No idea how the council will clear that up.

32 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Hippobags could be another option...

https://www.hippowaste.co.uk/hippobag/

I've used them and found that they aren't as cheap as they used to be. Only slightly less than a skip nowadays. Both a ripoff due to excessive council recycling fees set ultimately by the EU. 

Someone dumped a load of bin bags in front of one of our fields a while ago.  The mug forgot to pull out his personal correspondence, so we just turned up at his address, and dumped it all over his garden.

Fly tipping is a right bastard for farmers, as they are liable for the cleanup...

7 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes, get the van for 24 hours though, or at least longer than you think you will need it. Putting stuff in piles so they're not mixed when you get to the tip too, massive ballache otherwise. If you have lots of smaller things, get a big 1 tonne sack from Screwfix, handy for garden waste too. 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/woven-1-tonne-polybag/90147

My local council tip, and I suspect others, require proof of hire to dump stuff, and only one of the two tips allows vans at all. Probably then best to check online with your local council.

Don't buy these, get them free from small builders doing extensions and the like, just pop in and ask! They are used to deliver materials to jobs too small to warrant a tipper but too big to do it with 25kg bags, and they end up in the skip once used.

I've got one I kept, very useful for hedge trimmings and the like :)

8 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Someone dumped a load of bin bags in front of one of our fields a while ago.  The mug forgot to pull out his personal correspondence, so we just turned up at his address, and dumped it all over his garden.

Round of applause there Sirrah!

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Round of applause there Sirrah!

The problem is that down our way, gyppos are a real problem, and I'm worried that they'll break into our land.  Only about a week ago, they broke into a nearby secondary school's field, and started shitting in the hedges... Local farmers have even had to put concrete barricades in front of their gates...and even then it doesn't stop them.

10 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The problem is that down our way, gyppos are a real problem, and I'm worried that they'll break into our land.  Only about a week ago, they broke into a nearby secondary school's field, and started shitting in the hedges... Local farmers have even had to put concrete barricades in front of their gates...and even then it doesn't stop them.

About two or three years ago a coop supermarket, just off the high street in a prominent part of smallish rural town, closed. Aldi had purchased it.

Overnight about 30 caravans and gypsies appeared in the car park. After about two weeks they moved and the site was secured with gates.

There was a lot of local pressure but I don't know if they moved by choice or from force. I'm not sure what the law is regarding gypsies.

I've seen pictures of gypsie sites and the aftermath after they''ve departed but seeing the reality of such scenes was shocking.

Rubbish, dog shit and human shit gathering everywhere while they were there and none of it cleared when they left.

At least they left here though!

41 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I'll just leave this here...

Can be smeared in bacon grease rather than shit if required

Instead of hiring a van why not buy a cheap MOT failure for say £100. Then park in on the street, outside you house, and fill to the roof with rubbish. Then simply 'forget' to pay the road tax and let the DVLA do their thing - cheaper than Hippo bags.

11 hours ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Don't buy these, get them free from small builders doing extensions and the like, just pop in and ask! They are used to deliver materials to jobs too small to warrant a tipper but too big to do it with 25kg bags, and they end up in the skip once used.

I've got one I kept, very useful for hedge trimmings and the like :)

Yes good advice. I leave mine out the front with a sign saying people can take them for free. Gone within a day!