DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

January 2021 Floods

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is new Manchester Airport relief road.  Clue - the road is the thing that looks the river. 

Another Musa attempts to part the waters of Buttsbury Ford (River Wid Essex) to reach the promised land of Billericay!  

Near me, 2000 evacuated...        

Posted Images

Nope, I did 26 miles on my bicycle and noticed that ground water was literally running across roads where I have never seen it do it before in 30 years of using the route. Two roads have their usual full width floods but one of them is already at the deepest I have ever seen it.

Then the forecast say continuous heavy rain from 3pm tomorrow to 3pm Wednesday with the Pennines and other upland areas still having some snow cover to melt.

Plus flood warnings starting to appear for some spots on the Rivers Ouse & Witham.

Peak District levels were high by Friday owing to three days of heavy snow and rain.

We are now on warning for the Derwent and Wye...due to start raining on Monday at 17.00 and finish on Thursday at 7.00. If we do get an unrelenting 62 hour spell, then Bozza better get his mop out.

Bozza clearing up in Matlock in December 19. Fuck I'm due to go to that Specsavers tomorrow..must be an omen.

Edited by crashmonitor
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

From today's Sun:

NINTCHDBPICT000630960762.jpg?w=960

Floods today at St Ives, Cambs, after the Great Ouse burst its banks

NINTCHDBPICT000630960987-1.jpg?w=960

Also St Ives

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13766468/uk-weather-heavy-rainfal-melting-snow-floods-warning/

Horrible stuff; it's always brown and stinking because it brings up debris from the drains and sewers.

The councillors who allowed all that construction right up to the river on the south side of St Ives should be shot. 

When I moved back to cambridge from Norfolk I considered St ives but it was too far out. I bought in Bar Hill which for all the jokes  I was at the top of the hill and there was a great bus service into Cambridge. 

11 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The councillors who allowed all that construction right up to the river on the south side of St Ives should be shot. 

When I moved back to cambridge from Norfolk I considered St ives but it was too far out. I bought in Bar Hill which for all the jokes  I was at the top of the hill and there was a great bus service into Cambridge. 

As you know Kurt central government now rides roughshod over local planning departments. Don't shoot those councillors.

You don't want 5,000 homes built in a field built by your historic 8,000 home village with narrow roads and no parking?  Tough.

Wadebridge is probably the worst example in Cornwall as it's absolutely drowning in new builds and the town centre is small and has medieval roads.

Shame as it used to be really nice.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

As you know Kurt central government now rides roughshod over local planning departments. Don't shoot those councillors.

You don't want 5,000 homes built in a field built by your historic 8,000 home village with narrow roads and no parking?  Tough.

Wadebridge is probably the worst example in Cornwall as it's absolutely drowning in new builds and the town centre is small and has medieval roads.

Shame as it used to be really nice.

They blame not refusing on having to pay costs of there's an appeal and they lose.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

From today's Sun:

NINTCHDBPICT000630960762.jpg?w=960

Floods today at St Ives, Cambs, after the Great Ouse burst its banks

NINTCHDBPICT000630960987-1.jpg?w=960

Also St Ives

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13766468/uk-weather-heavy-rainfal-melting-snow-floods-warning/

Horrible stuff; it's always brown and stinking because it brings up debris from the drains and sewers.

Regular feature of that area. The Doplhin Hotel (bottom of 2nd pic) car park usually used to catch a few cars out each time there was a flood and the cottages n the bottom right could be cut off for extended periods. The flat opposite the hotel were raised up deliberately but still access is dodgy sometimes.

We were in Houghton and only had minor problems (unable to flush loo for 2 days) once in our time there but meadow to Hemmingfords flooded regulalry. Christine Heeers house on the Hemmingofrd side built on stilts for its roverside location.

13 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Foxdenton new development.

The bit next to the road will be some industrial units are planned.

FB_IMG_1610904482255.jpg

fucking hell, I've seen this all over the UK.  councils allowing building on land that floods, the locals know it, and fuckwits complain as they get flooded every 3 years.

I think individual councillors should be sent to jail for approving this sort of stuff.

2 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

That is thought to have been more of a tsunami than common or garden flood

The Bristol tsunami of 1607 | VolcanoCafe

Thanks, yes I have heard of that tidal wave on the levels but I didn't realise that's what Stokie was on about.

Reports noted that odd sparkling at the crest that is often seen on big tidal waves but has not been explained.