DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Charity shop rip-offs

Just before Christmas we took a load of stuff down to the charity shop, including a guitar. 

Walked past the shop today and says to Mrs. Mellie  isn't that the guitar we gave them?' she says yeah, has to be, it's got the same string missing. 

Pride of place in the window, looked at the tag - fifty fucking quid. If I'd thought it was worth that much I'd have put it on ebay. Unless they know something about it we don't. 

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Just before Christmas we took a load of stuff down to the charity shop, including a guitar. 

Walked past the shop today and says to Mrs. Mellie  isn't that the guitar we gave them?' she says yeah, has to be, it's got the same string missing. 

Pride of place in the window, looked at the tag - fifty fucking quid. If I'd thought it was worth that much I'd have put it on ebay. Unless they know something about it we don't. 

If it was really any good a member of staff would have taken it and put it on eBay themselves. No stock control in charity shops. 

Did you 'gift-aid' it?

In other words, will they be claiming an extra 25% (or whatever the going rate is in the UK now) from Uncle Rishi when it sells?

The reason I ask is, last time I was in the UK, I bought some stuff in a sale at a local charity shop (@ 75% off), but I'm certain they put the original price sticker down on the gift aid paperwork.

And I thought to myself, "What an interesting way to scam extra cash from the government, provided you're not too greedy..."

23 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Did you 'gift-aid' it?

In other words, will they be claiming an extra 25% (or whatever the going rate is in the UK now) from Uncle Rishi when it sells?

The reason I ask is, last time I was in the UK, I bought some stuff in a sale at a local charity shop (@ 75% off), but I'm certain they put the original price sticker down on the gift aid paperwork.

And I thought to myself, "What an interesting way to scam extra cash from the government, provided you're not too greedy..."

Also good for the donor if they’re in the higher tax bracket.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

If it was really any good a member of staff would have taken it and put it on eBay themselves. No stock control in charity shops. 

Sad but true. I bought a joblot of hand tools to do a job when I was on holiday - kept what I needed and handed the rest into a charity shop. An offduty member of staff who was in the shop took them straight home "to make sure they worked ok before sale" (wtf - spanners work or don't, no need to take them out the back door). Talking to someone else I know who worked in the shop it's one of the perks of working there 9_9 Similar - I know somebody who knits and volunteers in a charity shop, any wool that is donated is split between her and another member of staff, any customers who ask for wool get told "We never get any". They're all nice respectable folk otherwise :/

Edited by Andersen
typo

I'm sure the charity shop workers get the option of grabbing some of the "good stuff".

Generic old guitars aren't usually worth much. Cash Converters, or similar will give you a reasonable price for them. Much easier than EBay.

Funny, I was thinking of what the staff nick in retail this morning. In thinking about it was a follow on from thinking about my mantra that you shouldn't computerise a small business until such time as the staff are stealing more than the government will steal if the business is fully computerised.

Anyway, let's assume someone runs a hardware shop. There is a particular drill that sells at £100 plus vat. It has cost £50 pp plus vat coming in the door. Someone working in the shop flogs the drill for £50 cash and puts the cash in his pocket. The owner is down £50. Or is he really.

In the situation above it has cost the owner £50 to put £50 in the employee's pocket.

Suppose the employee has sold the drill over the counter for £100 plus VAT. The owner has now received £50 of gross profit. The owner, being a generous sort gives that £50 to the employee who sold the drill. The employee who s now £50 better off and the owner isn't £50 down. 

But.

In the case where the employee simply sold it and pocketed th cash the owner has not made £50 of taxable profit, in fact due to the loss of the drill he has reduced his taxable profit by £50.

In the case where everything has gone through the books the owner has made that money that he has decided to give to his employee and it must be accounted for. 

Either he he adds it to the employee's gross wages and then pays employer's NI on it, deducts the employee's NI contribution and the employee's tax and the employee probably ends up with half the money.

Or he makes up the employee's nett wages by £50 and increases the employee's gross wages and pays the difference himself.

What I'm trying to say is that a certain amount of shrinkage is possibly desirable in a business. It lets the employee get a bit more money without all the overheads that go with formal wages.

22 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

You used to be able get some good stuff in charity shops, but I have seen over the last 10 years or so a trend that anything half decent is priced accordingly.

I think it's two fold, a newer breed of "helper" who are less interested in the root cause and so less keen to get things moved out the door and more concerned with "profit and then mechanisms that make it a lot easier for ordinary folks to appraise something, ebay and the like.

Used to be the grannies would just be really pleased with the 50p or whatever it was was coming in and went on to feed the cats.

Don't have an issue with the look to maximise the profits for the charity, but what it's meant is a vast array of collectors and enthusiasts that used to visit such shops general don't bother anymore because they know all the good stuff has been stripped long before it gets to the shelves or anything that does make it as it at market prices.

It's now at the stage that some of the biggest charities have ebay shops selling the better stuff centrally, doesn't seem in the spirit of the whole thing for me.

2 hours ago, gilf said:

It's now at the stage that some of the biggest charities have ebay shops selling the better stuff centrally, doesn't seem in the spirit of the whole thing for me.

yes, pays to watch them. Items they haven't got a clue about (mainly computing) go for a song. I got an unopened box decent Nvidia graphics card for £30, a Draytek modem for £10

Other stuff that they understand and think they know the price of however, they stick stupid starting prices on that are just a few quid off retail, so nobody ever bids and they stay on sale for months.

Edited by Hopeful