DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thatcher - When we became a totalitarian state in the 1980s

Now i know there are many a Thatcher lover on here but i cant stand the witch.

But for me then slippery slope of turning into a full on police state started under her watch.

Remember as a kid watching the New Age Travellers getting battered for living a life outside what the establishment told them. This was not long after the miners were battered by the plod on her orders.

Then it was people going to raves.

In 1990 her Government passed the Entertainment Act which saw increased penalties for hosting raves.

Followed by Major bringing in the Criminal justice and public order act, which meant no more fun if the Tories had their way.

Just seems to have got stricter and stricter ever since to get to the point where we now live in a totalitarian nightmare.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thatcher, like so many other 'beasts' hated by the left, is hated by them for the wrong reasons. They hate her because she broke the excessive power of the unions which was a corrupt cabal turnin

Well the miners were happy beating those up who wanted to work.if anything the unions created thatcher .the country was sick of being held to rand some by unions they ran the country basicly.she was t

The last proper Conservative leader. Small government, personal responsibilty, butting out of people's lives, rewarding hard work. I have no problem with any of that.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hancock said:

Just seems to have got stricter and stricter ever since to get to the point where we now live in a totalitarian nightmare.

Its about to get worse, watch the US follow the Turkish roadmap, if they pull it off we will be next.

Thatcher was nothing compared to what is to come.

1652267696_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1721-53-04.jpg.9cfd08411b77acf581dd33628efd6fd0.jpg

Just now, One percent said:

Well tbf, only scabs. 

Yes when people don't agree with you or do things you don't agree with it's very easy to consider them as non-human and unworthy of any consideration. If that's an acceptable way of thinking, then Thatcher's actions were 100% acceptable as well, can't have it both ways.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

The milk stuff was going away before she took over but, all the same, I for one was happy when it finally finished. Being made by a fucking witch of a teacher to drink my half pint of warm, semi-rancid milk in the middle of the summer of 76 and the promptly running to the bogs to chuck it back up is one of the defining memories of my childhood. 

Eh? It finished way before 76 where I was at school - about 72 or 73 I think. You had milk privilege! (even if it didn't feel like it :D )

21 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well the miners were happy beating those up who wanted to work.if anything the unions created thatcher .the country was sick of being held to rand some by unions they ran the country basicly.she was their creation their baby there nemesis 

There was not enough cheap coal to keep going. Globalisation made sure of that. And the EU not allowing us to subsidize Industry.

Mrs Thatcher said: there is no such thing as public money.

I will paraphrase as there is no such thing as a free school dinner.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Eh? It finished way before 76 where I was at school - about 72 or 73 I think. You had milk privilege! (even if it didn't feel like it :D )

We got milk until I left primary school. Conservative council maybe. 

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There was not enough cheap coal to keep going. Globalisation made sure of that. And the EU not allowing us to subsidize Industry.

Mrs Thatcher said: there is no such thing as public money.

I will paraphrase as there is no such thing as a free school dinner.

We got milk until I left primary school. Conservative council maybe. 

You can’t blame thatcher for that .no doubt you would welcome a thatcher nowadays to get to grips with benifits 

1 hour ago, Hancock said:

Now i know there are many a Thatcher lover on here but i cant stand the witch.

But for me then slippery slope of turning into a full on police state started under her watch.

Remember as a kid watching the New Age Travellers getting battered for living a life outside what the establishment told them. This was not long after the miners were battered by the plod on her orders.

Then it was people going to raves.

In 1990 her Government passed the Entertainment Act which saw increased penalties for hosting raves.

Followed by Major bringing in the Criminal justice and public order act, which meant no more fun if the Tories had their way.

Forgot how much I used to fancy Jan Leeming when I was a teenager. 

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We need a smaller government. All these local council staff quangos and made up nonsense organisations need culling.

Was labour that loves big goverment and goverment that can be mummy or daddy or indeed big brother and aided dismantling of the nuclear family something thatcher loved 

28 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Hmmm, I must be thinking of the wrong hot summer in that case. I’m very sure we had school milk into the 70s though - could have been because it was a military one.

12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Hmmm, I must be thinking of the wrong hot summer in that case. I’m very sure we had school milk into the 70s though - could have been because it was a military one.

I had milk at primary school, which means it was still going into the late 70's.  

52 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Late '60's for secondary school (did anyone actually drink it?).,'71 for older primary school children, '77 for the youngest (up to 7/8)..  IIRC some councils/schools kept on for a little while after, but it was pretty much over by '78.

Edited by dgul
Never apologise, never explain.