DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Can't cook curry

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/20/sacked-curry-factory-worker-told-you-cant-cook-youre-not-asian-13933985/

A white man working for a curry-making company who told him to ‘go and work for an English firm’ said he is delighted to have won an employment case. Colin Sorby, 31, complained that he was racially harassed by his supervisor, Azheem Akhtar, after being told he did not understand the recipes being made at the production plant because he was white.

The amount of compensation to be awarded will be decided at a remedy hearing at a later date. A company spokesperson told Metro.co.uk: (We) operates on a strict anti-discrimination policy in the workplace.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That remedy hearing should be interesting. Could get spicy. 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/20/sacked-curry-factory-worker-told-you-cant-cook-youre-not-asian-13933985/ A white man working for a curry-making company who told him to ‘go and work for an English

Ghee is the worst ingredient you can buy if you are trying to replicate a UK takeaway curry. Lots of the cheapest, nastiest vegetable oil is what they use - and to replicate the flavour, you need

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/20/sacked-curry-factory-worker-told-you-cant-cook-youre-not-asian-13933985/

A white man working for a curry-making company who told him to ‘go and work for an English firm’ said he is delighted to have won an employment case. Colin Sorby, 31, complained that he was racially harassed by his supervisor, Azheem Akhtar, after being told he did not understand the recipes being made at the production plant because he was white.

The amount of compensation to be awarded will be decided at a remedy hearing at a later date. A company spokesperson told Metro.co.uk: (We) operates on a strict anti-discrimination policy in the workplace.

That remedy hearing should be interesting. Could get spicy. 

Just now, spongeh said:

Curry is the one thing I really struggle to cook, even when Indian friends give me their home cooked recipes. I'm pretty sure their is something in the cooking method that I as a white european just can't get my head around.

Mr Akhtar was probably right in what he said, but it's rather un PC to say it. 

I find them easy enough. A lot of work though. Unless you do them regularly so can prep spice mixes and whatnot in bulk.

2 minutes ago, spongeh said:

Curry is the one thing I really struggle to cook, even when Indian friends give me their home cooked recipes. I'm pretty sure their is something in the cooking method that I as a white european just can't get my head around.

Does he take what’s on the table or tikka chance and go to tribunal?

24 minutes ago, spongeh said:

It's not difficult. The wife's sister was going out with a guy from Mauritius when I met up with her in the mid 70s. How taught me. Moslem guy, sound, very nice. The only thing wrong with him was that you were liable to find a nice sirloin of steak turned into a curry if he got to it first. As I say, sound guy, he'd go out and restock the drink if he thought we were getting low.

I'll stick a basic recipe on here and you just fiddle around from there. I've had an Asian say that my wife married me for my cooking so I must do it half decently.

5 minutes ago, spongeh said:

I’ve never had any difficulty producing authentic tasting Indian restaurant style food, you just need to start with a proper base sauce (google for recipes). Chinese stuff is a whole different kettle of fish though and is pretty much impossible without a very high temperature gas burner.

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’ve never had any difficulty producing authentic tasting Indian restaurant style food, you just need to start with a proper base sauce (google for recipes). Chinese stuff is a whole different kettle of fish though and is pretty much impossible without a very high temperature gas burner.

I think it's pretty easy but British people are scared of putting enough flavour and spice in. And usually forget the salt (10grams per person minimum..) 

1 hour ago, spongeh said:

Yep..  In a way I don't take any particular pleasure from the verdict because it was probably true. 

If it was really only about his colour they wouldn't have employed him in the first place. 

Political correctness is corrosive whichever direction it works in..