DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Buying stuff you don't really want?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I deleted my Amazon account.  One by one I will be decoupling from all those companies that have poked their heads above the parapet to reveal how truly disgusting they are.  

Over Christmas I was looking at watches online. I type of fell in love with a Hamilton automatic and I bought it at a good price. It was delivered last week and I've still not taken it out the bo

Spotted this hiding in a box being offered on Ebay. It came up like a mirror.  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Over Christmas I was looking at watches online. I type of fell in love with a Hamilton automatic and I bought it at a good price.

It was delivered last week and I've still not taken it out the box ffs. It's funny how sometimes the act of shopping is more enjoyable than the actual thing itself....

I think this is a big part of the female shopping experience. That said, we all do it to a greater or lesser extent. I actually think the way it was when I was growing up in the 70s with little money instilled good discipline, in that you had to think 'If I buy this, I cant buy anything else for a week/month/year.'

3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I think this is a big part of the female shopping experience. That said, we all do it to a greater or lesser extent. I actually think the way it was when I was growing up in the 70s with little money instilled good discipline, in that you had to think 'If I buy this, I cant buy anything else for a week/month/year.'

I think you're probably right. It is the cliche of women that they have a cupboard full of brand new dresses and shoes they never wear.

I also collect coins. It's just a bit bizare, I buy a coin, look at it for a bit then put it in a safe or under my bed...

23 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Over Christmas I was looking at watches online. I type of fell in love with a Hamilton automatic and I bought it at a good price.

It was delivered last week and I've still not taken it out the box ffs. It's funny how sometimes the act of shopping is more enjoyable than the actual thing itself....

I very much recognise the same thing in myself; and in recognising it don't do it.

I like militaria for example but if let that desire rip firstly I would fill up a room with it and then what I had would be of less interest than what I could buy next.  Always the next purchase, the next bargain, the counting down auction - have I won? -  the awaiting the package, the unwrapping and worshipping the precious, the next hit on the dopamine receptors. 

On and on and on.  Never satisfied.

I did it with books and CDs for a while but moving house, and knowing that I would be regularly moving house for the next twenty years, put a stop to that pattern of buying when I had to transport boxes and boxes of them.  The charity shop did very well out of me that year.  I was tempted by those high quality replica watches which @spunko posted up even though I wouldn't wear it because I wear a Fitbit watch.

It's very much not just women in my experience, I'd agree that is majority women but in men it is amplified by that male collecting impulse: stamps, coins, trading cards, cars.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Do you want my missus, you'd live a long and happy life.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Is it black

Just now, onlyme said:

I deleted my Amazon account. 

One by one I will be decoupling from all those companies that have poked their heads above the parapet to reveal how truly disgusting they are.

Not my amazon account. Someone in my house has a trial of prime. Again.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Plenty of alternatives, search hard enough and will save the postage and more that Amazon offers, worth the effort.

Sadly not. I'd done the leg work. Sent a link to him and he looked in various places and concluded that was the best option.

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I like militaria for example but if let that desire rip firstly I would fill up a room with it and then what I had would be of less interest than what I could buy next.  Always the next purchase, the next bargain, the counting down auction - have I won? -  the awaiting the package, the unwrapping and worshipping the precious, the next hit on the dopamine receptors. 

I would never have guessed you were interested in militaria...

What things do you have?

21 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Plenty of alternatives, search hard enough and will save the postage and more that Amazon offers, worth the effort.

I do my best to reduce my use of Amazon. Sometimes though it is difficult. I needed an inner tube for a pushchair wheel 2 from Amazon for £7.49 prime delivery. Went onto decathlon. £1.50 cheaper but would have to pay delivery or click and collect (£1 in petrol plus faffing / delay collection until I'm biking that way). Alternatively spend £50 and get free delivery so I did that, added a top and some sealskinz socks plus a couple of other bike inner tubes - all of which I need / would use. But! Get to delivery options - expected delivery 2nd-3rd February! All in stock in my local store - just what the hell are they using? A snail? 

No wonder Amazon do so well - I just received the inner tubes this morning - about 16 hours after ordering. 

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I would never have guessed you were interested in militaria...

What things do you have?

Only the things I bought over thirty five years ago out of pocket money: ammunition box, medals and badges.

I couldn't afford anything decent then but now I could start buying Victorian medals and equipment.

Though I can't buy what I would really like to have: handguns and rifles from WWII and earlier but am hugely envious of the US collectors I see on YouTube with Martini Henrys and Lee Enfields. 

For the 25 years when I buy new clothes they would just sit in my bed room with the price labels on until I can find the motivation to try them on. 

I bought a new shirt from Debenhams before Christmas. Now I did try that one on shortly after coming home. However, the latest announcement of the kung flu lockdown took me by surprise and so I haven't had the opportunity to wear it on a night out. 

Most of my childhood was spent with my mum explaining why we couldn’t afford to buy / do something. Things that I saw other families and relatives doing regularly. 

We weren’t particularly poor, but there was this overwhelming feeling that we weren’t able to participate in normal life... never ate out in restaurants, dad making a fuss if we asked for a packet of crisps in the pub, taking a (warm) picnic to the one time we went to Alton Towers when everyone else is eating a burger etc, every item of clothing either a hand me down from cousins or an ill-fitting, odd coloured sale item.

I genuinely get a buzz out of buying things now, whether I particularly need them or not. Can’t beat the thrill of a John Lewis parcel arriving with that upbringing - although I still avoid ever paying full price for clothes / shoes.