DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Reading threads you dont really want...

I was just tempted to click on a thread here for no better reason than to fritter away another precious few minutes of my life, and it got me thinking about our tendency to get addicted to the act of reading shit online. Faceache and twatter clearly have this cleverly designed in to their platforms. Less so on here, making it easier to just bin it off on here with a wee bit of self control.

On social media I'm having a 'mute january' muting or unfollowing groups, words, tags and people with gay abandon. Better than unfriending or blocking as it isn't so final for your relationship with people. It's doing wonders for me so far, and it also means I'm realising how little is actually on those platforms that I actually want to read. I'm already thinking of extending the muting and time as a fine way of weaning myself off such places. I'm also, incidentally, feeling much better for having done so.

I expect the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell me that social media is for poofs and is the devils whatnot but it's the only means I have of staying in contact with certain people and organisations, so I can't completely bin it off. It is also, so far, three weeks into the experiment, a good way of counteracting the addictive elements of those sites.

Edited by Melchett
14 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I was just tempted to click on a thread here for no better reason than to fritter away another precious few minutes of my life, and it got me thinking about our tendency to get addicted to the act of reading shit online. Faceache and twatter clearly have this cleverly designed in to their platforms. Less so on here, making it easier to just bin it off on here with a wee bit of self control.

On social media I'm having a 'mute january' muting or unfollowing groups, words, tags and people with gay abandon. Better than unfriending or blocking as it isn't so final for your relationship with people. It's doing wonders for me so far, and it also means I'm realising how little is actually on those platforms that I actually want to read. I'm already thinking of extending the muting and time as a fine way of weaning myself off such places. I'm also, incidentally, feeling much better for having done so.

I expect the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell me that social media is for poofs and is the devils whatnot but it's the only means I have of staying in contact with certain people and organisations, so I can't completely bin it off. It is also, so far, three weeks into the experiment, a good way of counteracting the addictive elements of those sites.

Ah, so the truth emerges.  :)

Cutting down is good.

I was active on three forums including this one and have drastically reduced my use of the other two; though that was primarily because they were both football forums and I really dislike the absolute state of professional football in this country though there is another thread for such.

This one remains highly informative and interesting in the main.

11 minutes ago, 23rdian said:

There are other forums?

Funny you should mention this. I’m one of the last half a dozen or so active posters standing on a previously busy forum. I’ve no interest in what the forum is about anymore, but to walk away would mean a) cutting off the friendships I’ve developed over the years with the remaining posters and b) probably collapsing the forum for good, as there are so few people left, and a couple of them can’t stand each other.

Moral: don’t be one of the last ones standing. If a forum is dying, slip away while there are still enough people left that you feel no guilt about doing so.

6 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Funny you should mention this. I’m one of the last half a dozen or so active posters standing on a previously busy forum. I’ve no interest in what the forum is about anymore, but to walk away would mean a) cutting off the friendships I’ve developed over the years with the remaining posters and b) probably collapsing the forum for good, as there are so few people left, and a couple of them can’t stand each other.

Moral: don’t be one of the last ones standing. If a forum is dying, slip away while there are still enough people left that you feel no guilt about doing so.

That's good advice.

The smaller football forum that I'm on, whilst good, has been steadily dwindling.  As a moderator I'm expected to help fund the annual running costs which IIRC is £20 from me.  When I say "expected" there is no compulsion but I know if I don't then the site owner / admin is paying £20 more and he's fairly skint.  Pre-divorce, which was related to the amount of time and money he spent following the team as well as running the forum, he mentioned that his wife was complaining about his funding it which is why he was asking for help.  (This is entirely genuine btw and not a scam; for the first five years I was on it there was no call for donations to running costs.)

I would feel guilty about slipping away even now but combine that with my serious loss of interest in football and now is maybe the time.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would feel guilty about slipping away even now but combine that with my serious loss of interest in football and now is maybe the time.

There's no reason to feel guilty. If it was a real-life club and you were on the committee and paying £20 membership and had lost interest in the club's activity, would you feel guilty* about resigning?

* enough to actually make a difference, I can see that there might be some regret.

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

I posted a lot on one forum from about 2005 to 2010. Over time it seemed to lose it's edge (possibly as it was basically a single issue forum). People left so I did as well. Went back in at the beginning of 2020 to find that only 7 or 8 posters were active. One of those seemed to be picking arguments with the others. I gave up again.

Maybe the same forum?! :ph34r:O.o

27 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I posted a lot on one forum from about 2005 to 2010. Over time it seemed to lose it's edge (possibly as it was basically a single issue forum). People left so I did as well. Went back in at the beginning of 2020 to find that only 7 or 8 posters were active. One of those seemed to be picking arguments with the others. I gave up again.

Possibly not - mine is a Sci Fi based one?

I resigned from an Aussie forum last month, after yet another censorship by the mods of me because too many people were getting raged when I was posting inconvenient truths.  One of the temp bans before then was linking to a senate report about Biden, because it was 'uncorroborated'.....when I pointed out that it was an official report from the US senate, the mod answered that it wasn't proven.

I used to get lots of private posts from other members in support, but they were too scared to post themselves.  Now I have gone for good (with a royal fuck off to the mods) it'll be a complete echo chamber.

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Social media killed a lot of the forums. 

I was active on one from about 98-2010. One of the biggest gambling forums. Everybody just seemed to disappear overnight. I think it had about 20,000 members at one point, and a significant number of those active. 

13 hours ago, Melchett said:

Can't, or won't...

XYY

2 hours ago, wherebee said:

I resigned from an Aussie forum last month, after yet another censorship by the mods of me because too many people were getting raged when I was posting inconvenient truths.  One of the temp bans before then was linking to a senate report about Biden, because it was 'uncorroborated'.....when I pointed out that it was an official report from the US senate, the mod answered that it wasn't proven.

I used to get lots of private posts from other members in support, but they were too scared to post themselves.  Now I have gone for good (with a royal fuck off to the mods) it'll be a complete echo chamber.

I was a mod on a satanist vs Christian group I got banned for takeing the piss out of both sides 

9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Social media killed a lot of the forums. 

I was active on one from about 98-2010. One of the biggest gambling forums. Everybody just seemed to disappear overnight. I think it had about 20,000 members at one point, and a significant number of those active. 

Yeah, everyone seemed to fuck off to social media. There used to fascinating and intelligent discussions on there, and the same posters on social media come over like the retard kid in the simpsons. I don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Yeah, everyone seemed to fuck off to social media. There used to fascinating and intelligent discussions on there, and the same posters on social media come over like the retard kid in the simpsons. I don’t get it.

Have they had the vaccine?  Might have such side effects. 

20 hours ago, Melchett said:

Here, is my only online activity and I post and read too much shit. But during lockdown in winter, I can only do so much walking each day.

Professionally, I have Twitter, FB, YT, Insta, Parler (perhaps) and an unused Gab. I have no personal social media accounts so nothing to bin off. I go online on these accounts once a week to make a post.

I only ever post original content on any of them. I don' interact with, or follow anyone, and have no social media 'friends'. I don't pay for any promotion or advertising.

Most successful social media by far is Twitter, sadly

I don't think I'd want personal accounts, I can't see why anybody would be interested in what I do. The 6 friends i have would all be too busy to read what I'm up to and vice versa. I guess the most personal I get online is on here, but here, when writing personally, I just take the piss out of myself.

I almost never make mobile phone calls. Last year I made 6 and 4 of those were to keep the sim card active. A £5 on my sim can last years.

Probably not much to bin tbh xD

8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

People are quite aggressive if you challenge their stupidity on Facebook. 

I've been kicked out of a couple of groups for disagreeing with moderators even when I have quoted laws.

Some people think their opinion is better that law.

From what I have seen on personal FB accounts in the past (only a few and so may not be representative), most people seem to be encouraged into making disastrous life decisions by 'friends' because friends want to be friends and think saying a few home-truths will get them unfriended.

Edited by Hopeful