DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This is a pain in the arse- our gas has gone off, again...

I wanted to put a pan of water on to cook some hot dogs (nice ones, not eyelids and ring pieces) and there was nothing, not even a little flame. Went to the gas bottle outside and fiddled with it- checked the tap on top of the bottle was on, checked the little isolator valve near the house was open and tried again- nothing. I then made sure the hob controls were all off then turned the valve just outside the house off, closed the tap on top of the bottle and undid the connection, pulled the connector with the regulator and hose off and opened the valve to make sure gas was coming out the (almost completely full) bottle, which it was. Connected the regulator back up and then slowly opened the valve on top of the bottle, then slowly opened the valve near the house and went I side to try the hob again, it worked but the flames weren't full strength.

Came out for a fag, planning to go in and cook the hot dogs, only to be told by my wife that it had stopped working again. 

Might it be the regulator? I know it's not the tank as propane doesn't freeze until minus 40 or something, anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Carl Fimble thread, with title "Gas", had to brace myself before clicking 

You've run out of Jews? 

Does (almost completely full) imply something different to you?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

try heating the regulator, warm water or hairdryer or tapping it with small hammer

Just assuming but with cold weather less vapour pressure would make a regulator more likely to stick?

@Carl FimbleHow big is the bottle? Can you insulate it and see if that makes a difference as well? Previous issues - tied with low temps? Is the bottle feeding anything else - heating causing more pressure issues?

14 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Just assuming but with cold weather less vapour pressure would make a regulator more likely to stick?

@Carl FimbleHow big is the bottle? Can you insulate it and see if that makes a difference as well? Previous issues - tied with low temps? Is the bottle feeding anything else - heating causing more pressure issues?

Yerp.

Propane exists in its liquid form at or below its boiling point (-44°F) as well as when it stored under pressure. To further explain, if the temperature outside is -45°F, propane will be a liquid and you would be able to pour it out of a bucket.

So try pouring the boiling water over the bottle.

8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Doubt you'd see much of a drop in pressure until the ambient temp approaches the boiling point of the gas.

Some white, stale male came up with a principle relating temperature to pressure drop across an orofice.

So as the high pressure gas in the tank passes through the regulator there will be an associated temperature drop, can't be arsed going back thirty years and figuring it all out again.

If the temperature drop is sufficient and the starting temperature of the HP gas low enough then there is a possibility that water in the gas may be freezing and fritzing the regulator.

There may be a frit, small filter, in the regulator that is blinding.

Recommended liberal application of a blow torch around the regulator.*

"You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life"

*joking, if you hadn't gusseted.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

This is a pain in the arse- our gas has gone off, again...

I wanted to put a pan of water on to cook some hot dogs (nice ones, not eyelids and ring pieces) and there was nothing, not even a little flame. Went to the gas bottle outside and fiddled with it- checked the tap on top of the bottle was on, checked the little isolator valve near the house was open and tried again- nothing. I then made sure the hob controls were all off then turned the valve just outside the house off, closed the tap on top of the bottle and undid the connection, pulled the connector with the regulator and hose off and opened the valve to make sure gas was coming out the (almost completely full) bottle, which it was. Connected the regulator back up and then slowly opened the valve on top of the bottle, then slowly opened the valve near the house and went I side to try the hob again, it worked but the flames weren't full strength.

Came out for a fag, planning to go in and cook the hot dogs, only to be told by my wife that it had stopped working again. 

Might it be the regulator? I know it's not the tank as propane doesn't freeze until minus 40 or something, anyone got any ideas?

You've run out of Jews? 

6 hours ago, onlyme said:

Got it working now but the bottle is a 47kg one, I've had similar problems before when it's been cold, can't really insulate it very well, though could just wrap it in an old blanket or something? Bottle only feeds our hob. 

Hoping the new regulator sorts it. 

6 hours ago, XswampyX said:

So try pouring the boiling water over the bottle.

Eh, no, that sounds like a fairly terrible idea.