DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Covid Thinking

Great Guy

Great Guy

Outside my town there is a council car park that a lot of people use for going for walks in the countryside. Due to covid they have closed it... as a result people are parking on the road...

It's a high speed road and now its effectively a single track road due to people parking on it. FFS, how is this safer? How can you realistically catch covid by going for a walk in the countryside? Now you gave families etc walking along a high speed road. 

• Agree 8

sarahbell
16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Outside my town there is a council car park that a lot of people use for going for walks in the countryside. Due to covid they have closed it... as a result people are parking on the road...

It's a high speed road and now its effectively a single track road due to people parking on it. FFS, how is this safer? How can you realistically catch covid by going for a walk in the countryside? Now you gave families etc walking along a high speed road. 

Dovestones has been so crowded the farmer can't get to the animals and some have died as a result

• Informative 3

Popuplights

Yes. Same kind of thinking at Winchester Cathedral, who have removed all the benches in the inner close, so people now have to sit on the ground. 

Absolutely crazy, and certainly not what Jesus would do. 

MrLibertyRedux
7 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Yes. Same kind of thinking at Winchester Cathedral, who have removed all the benches in the inner close, so people now have to sit on the ground. 

The World has quite clearly lost its mind.

• Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

And closing toilets....where's the logic in that?

We can all crap at the side of the road, like in India. I'll bet the Indians wish they had more public bogs, but sometimes they don't.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Toilets and showers an infection control nightmare at hospitals, no reason public toilets not the same. A lot of sense really unless they are going to be cleaned round the clock like motorway services etc.

• Agree 1

sarahbell
27 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Because it can transmit through faecal matter?

And people are dirty bastards that would put cleaning staff at high risk. 

And it would encourage people to go out

Just now, onlyme said:

Toilets and showers an infection control nightmare at hospitals, no reason public toilets not the same. A lot of sense really unless they are going to be cleaned round the clock like motorway services etc.

We are told that they need a daily deep clean and clean after each use so allotment toilets are not open.

Much of the response to Covid is the result of a long 'logic chain' where the end result isn't actually related to the original point*.  You see this in the closure of car parks, banning of sales of alcohol, etc etc.

[* I've not heard of the 'correct' name for this.  Perhaps it should be 'Chinese Logic' (ie Chinese Whispers) except that that's racist]

• Agree 1

Great Guy

Lol, I drove past the car park today. Someone had moved the barriers and there was about a dozen cars in the car park. There was three cop cars and a police van there. I assume they were "interviewing" people that had parked there.

• Lol 1

8 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Yeah what’s with the removal of benches ? 

Popuplights
19 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

I have no idea what they are thinking. Mass insanity. 

31 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

What are the birds going to shit on now?

Edit: Oops, sorry, should have checked up-thread first. I thought this was referring to park benches, lol.

Edited by Stuffed

29 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Just more removal of the small joys in life. Promotion of fear......it’s too dangerous to sit on a bench.

It’s really nice to sit on a bench and watch the world go by. I often sit on the high street benches and also the countryside one's in my town/area. 

If they remove any of them I’ll make a point of getting an easily carried portable seat and sit on that.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

Great Guy
51 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Dont know? Maybe they are scared people are licking them?

the gardener
1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Lol, I drove past the car park today. Someone had moved the barriers and there was about a dozen cars in the car park. There was three cop cars and a police van there. I assume they were "interviewing" people that had parked there.

That reminds me. I must go out and cut the cable ties the council have used to lock the children's playground. There's a few stupid coronavirus signs up as well, they're going in the bin. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 5

ashestoashes
2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

That reminds me. I must go out and cut the cable ties the council have used to lock the children's playground. There's a few stupid coronavirus signs up as well, they're going in the bin. 

keep the signs, might become collectors items in the future

• Agree 2

the gardener
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

I have no idea what they are thinking. Mass insanity. 

These people are dangerous. They get a (stupid) idea put in their heads and they will out-compete each other in a stupidity contest, going further and further into insanity measures. 

All that was needed was the government to point them at the (imaginary) problem (Covid-19) and off they fucking go into full-on clown world. 

Edited by the gardener
  • Agree 4

29 minutes ago, the gardener said:

These people are dangerous. They get a (stupid) idea put in their heads and they will out-compete each other in a stupidity contest, going further and further into insanity measures. 

All that was needed was the government to point them at the (imaginary) problem (Covid-19) and off they fucking go into full-on clown world. 

The trouble is, there an asymmetry in the response vs punishment for getting it wrong.

Ie, No-one will be fired for removing a bench.  Someone might get fired for not removing a bench.

What's more, you won't be able to be fired in the future for removing a bench in the past (ie now), because you've always got the defence that it was 'best policy' at that point in time.

So, as far as 'management' is concerned you just can't do too much at the moment.

[There's a name for this sort of thing -- I can't recall, but it is a known phenomenon]

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

the gardener
1 hour ago, dgul said:

The trouble is, there an asymmetry in the response vs punishment for getting it wrong.

Ie, No-one will be fired for removing a bench.  Someone might get fired for not removing a bench.

What's more, you won't be able to be fired in the future for removing a bench in the past (ie now), because you've always got the defence that it was 'best policy' at that point in time.

So, as far as 'management' is concerned you just can't do too much at the moment.

[There's a name for this sort of thing -- I can't recall, but it is a known phenomenon]

Indeed. And this is how you get the Healthcare, police, local authorities etc all (unwittingly) in on the act. They all feed off each other and you end up with the madness of crowds. People like those on this forum are but a few voices drowned out by the roaring of the masses. 

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, dgul said:

It makes me think of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Where possible, therefore, people should make removing benches more costly / risky for these bastards.

"They" have provided tools that can be turned against them for this. Disability discrimination, for example.

Hail the Tripod
On 24/01/2021 at 10:43, onlyme said:

But this rather presupposes that if a toilet isn’t available people will simply not urinate and defecate, which is only marginally true. While the real truth is the toilets were installed in the first place because they are so very, very much more hygienic than the alternative.

• Agree 2

On 24/01/2021 at 20:59, dgul said:

Yes unfortunately the logical conclusion is to remove all benches. And that’s what is happening. Atleast from what I have seen.  

Other odd things are shopping centres re-creating Pac-Man style directions on floors and paths that go no-where into loops. Clearly most people ignore but if you look down it’s like an airport floor map on steroids.

• Agree 1

dillinger
On 24/01/2021 at 10:15, Wahoo said:

They did that during first lockdown here in Northern Ireland but I have a Radar Key.