DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Roads to be named after British heroes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Benny Hill.

https://foxhole.news/2021/01/24/plan-for-road-names-and-statues-after-british-heroes-backed-by-government-ministers/ Plan for road names and statues after British heroes backed by government mini

I think people will be surprised how many heroes there are in the management positions of the local council.

Posted Images

Nothing new in this apart from rubber stamping the rejection of wokeness.

Many roads, streets, buildings, were named by the Victorians in honour of heroes.

During the Victorian era 1837-1901 it was commonplace across towns and cities. You can look up the names and find something genuinely worthy of posterity.

By the end of WW2 there became a trend to honour working class dignitaries such as local council leaders.

More recently we have seen sports people and various celebrities being recognised in their home towns or place of birth.

The danger is rewriting history to erase colonial figures, by pulling down statues, or changing long standing names on infrastructure.

I'm sure this is a push back against BLM and other Marxists rather than enabling their agendas.  :)

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's been approved by the government ministers so it's not going to be the way you want it to be.

There is a fair chance of that but the proposal, as reported, is for recipients of either the Victoria or George Cross to be remembered. It is a good thing to have been proposed. Obviously it will be fucked as soon as some wanker adds a diversity quota. No problem if that ends up with Ghurkas disproportionately represented.

Obviously the solution is to appoint a quango to decide on all this headed up by me. However, that is my favoured solution for everything.

I always think that great comedians are repeatedly overlooked for awards and honours.

This is in stark contrast to actors who receive them all the time.  I genuinely think that the difference is that comedians are working class people playing to predominantly working class audiences whereas actors are middle to upper class people playing, in theatres especially, to the same.

Why isn't Roy Chubby Brown Sir or Lord Brown?  I genuinely think that with the level of success he has had as a comedian he would have been knighted had he been an actor.

Sirs and Dames are ten a penny in the field of acting.

Knighted comedians are, and it's a short and very unusual list:

• Harry Lauder
  • Charlie Chaplin
  • Harry Secombe
  • Norman Wisdom
  • Tony Robinson
  • Lenny Henry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33107304

No John Cleese, Michael Palin, Victoria Wood, Morecambe and Wise, Joyce Grenfell, Bernard Manning.

Returning to the OP on an estate with five roads I would name them after the Monty Pythons.

I am never actually sure if there is any truth in the rumour that a lot of road names are named after ex-councillors. It always seemed like an urban legend to me. Anyone know if it's true? There are some weird and wonderful names round here, quite often some foreign sounding surname like for example Hernandez Drive.

I do find road names quite interesting; you can tell the age of the properties (mostly) from the name. The very worst ones to me are those 80s/90s cheesy American sounding ones with "Boulevard" or "Glade" in them. Just say no!

Most very new ones round here are named after birds, which I find very depressing, or they have continental sounding names. For example Bad Munstereifel Road in Ashford, or  Avenue du Puy in Tonbridge :S

Edited by spunko
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am never actually sure if there is any truth in the rumour that a lot of road names are named after ex-councillors. It always seemed like an urban legend to me. Anyone know if it's true? There are some weird and wonderful names round here, quite often some foreign sounding surname like for example Hernandez Drive.

I do find road names quite interesting; you can tell the age of the properties (mostly) from the name. The very worst ones to me are those 80s/90s cheesy American sounding ones with "Boulevard" or "Glade" in them. Just say no!

Most very new ones round here are named after birds, which I find very depressing, or they have continental sounding names. For example Bad Munstereifel Road in Ashford, or  Avenue du Puy in Tonbridge :S

Very common in my area, and also MPs.

My mother lives in a street named after a local councillor, and there is one estate built just after the war that has loads of them, but no-one remembers who they are actually named after as they've been dead for years...

XYY