DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I wish that we'd be shown toys like these in our schooldays

We used to have army recruitment come into our school and try to tempt us to be mechanics or cannon fodder.

They never wanted us to be officers and gentlemen so I guess that happened at a different school...

Can't remember if I told this story but one time they threw a grenade on the floor next to me and simultaneously fired a blank round from a pistol under the table.  I VERY nearly shat.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

We used to have army recruitment come into our school and try to tempt us to be mechanics or cannon fodder.

They never wanted us to be officers and gentlemen so I guess that happened at a different school...

Can't remember if I told this story but one time they threw a grenade on the floor next to me and simultaneously fired a blank round from a pistol under the table.  I VERY nearly shat.

yeah, that would have been one of my schools.  And yes, it was made clear that you'd be expected to be an officer.

Good fun though.  I fired some very big weapons at taxpayers expense.

2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

If you had inserted it into your anus, you could have been officer material.

48 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Step son in the royal engineers was told it was often policy to blow stuff up in the way ffs .and they blew a lot of stuff up because it was a logistical nightmare to get it back or to stop others getting it .

During basic training we did a 3 day field exercise and at the end of it  one of my corporals ask for all the unused blank rounds in magazines then proceeded to do a Turkish unload firing hundreds of rounds through my SA80 on auto which didn't miss a beat but cooked the barrel. Never shot straight afterwards even with the gun sights set to its limits. If it wasn't for that I'd have probably got the marksmen badge as all my groupings were tight with the occasional stray. 

Edited by longtomsilver
1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

During basic training we did a 3 day field exercise and at the end of it  one of my corporals ask for all the unused blank rounds in magazines then proceeded to do a Turkish unload firing hundreds of rounds through my SA80 on auto which didn't miss a beat but cooked the barrel. Never shot straight afterwards even with the gun sights set to its limits. If it wasn't for that I'd have probably got the marksmen badge as all my groupings were tight with the occasional stray. 

Precisely this sort of shit that put me off ever entering the forces.  In any other job you can always just walk away.

Heard too many stories of victimisation - for seemingly random reasons.  These were from a large range of people from many different timescales (1930's - 1990's).

Don't get me wrong, I have total respect for the forces.  I had the most minor brush with them myself (cadets).  I had no probs myself, but there were ppl who were just never going to fit in there and should have just been politely asked to leave (horrendous if they couldn't).  And others who fitted a bit too well (potentially horrendous if they were ever in any position of real power over others)!

I hope that if any good has come of woke culture that they now have procedures to weed out the random psycho sadists who seemed to find comfort in institutionalised bullying.

TBF if it could be guaranteed that that sort of shite was never going to happen, I could prob. deal with the death/killing and other associated hardships.  If I were 16 again!

Edited by Whowhywhen?
5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Haha, it was for officer entry at our school. We were bright but not posh. We also had Parachute units visit

Edited by Panther
2 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

He wanted to do the sniper course but got his driveing license a hgv out of them and a degree in civil engineering 

2 hours ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Precisely this sort of shit that put me off ever entering the forces.  In any other job you can always just walk away.

Heard too many stories of victimisation - for seemingly random reasons.  These were from a large range of people from many different timescales (1930's - 1990's).

Don't get me wrong, I have total respect for the forces.  I had the most minor brush with them myself (cadets).  I had no probs myself, but there were ppl who were just never going to fit in there and should have just been politely asked to leave (horrendous if they couldn't).  And others who fitted a bit too well (potentially horrendous if they were ever in any position of real power over others)!

I hope that if any good has come of woke culture that they now have procedures to weed out the random psycho sadists who seemed to find comfort in institutionalised bullying.

TBF if it could be guaranteed that that sort of shite was never going to happen, I could prob. deal with the death/killing and other associated hardships.  If I were 16 again!

Step son said only thing that got to him was picking bits of British troops up .after an

ied they used those quad bikes and put the bits in them .he was a royal engineer trained in defusing the bombs but he says the officers did the vast majority of defusing bombs public school or not he said the toffs more than pulled there weight 

38 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Step son said only thing that got to him was picking bits of British troops up .after an

ied they used those quad bikes and put the bits in them .he was a royal engineer trained in defusing the bombs but he says the officers did the vast majority of defusing bombs public school or not he said the toffs more than pulled there weight 

Aye - I can see that.  I mean, that is the sort of "edge-of-insanity" stuff that I had always imagined would be involved.  Even if you have watched a few films, you would be aware that you are going to have to see some seriously disturbing stuff and make some seriously morally ambiguous life or death decisions.  And yet..... I looked at the army website tonight - Q & A for people who might be interested.  One of the questions, I shit you not, was "Will I have to kill people?".  As if you had considered army life to the point of finding, navigating and reading their website and still had that question in your mind!!!!!  TBF they did basically answer "YES!!!" albeit in a roundabout mealy-mouthed way.

My point is for the benefit of people who are not that extremely fucking dim.  Some people out there who have internally rationalised those choices (not easy) before signing up, used to join up and have their lives made a misery because... their name began with a "W"... had a funny chin....liked football team A rather than B.... basically any old random shit that some psycho sergeant had a hang-up about and that the people you are expected to kill wouldn't give a shit about.

I can not stress enough that the people who told me about this stuff were very much not "weak minded".  They all stuck it through and did all the horrible stuff of combat, but said their life was made miserable by people on their own side.

The lessons they all took from this were dragged onto civvy street when they left.  It wouldn't surprise me if the amount of ex-soldiers in prison right now could be traced back to a few bad apples in command.  I've even come up against a few ex-mil bullies in my life - trying to extent their power-trip into civvy street.  They have always backed down when reminded that their current job and freedom is no longer protected my Her Maj.!

Getting back to your post @stokiescum, the class system in the British army is totally fucked.  Extending the "toasting buttered crumpets betwixt the buttocks of your fag" mentality of public school into the military is utterly insane.  And yet we still hear the plummy accents of the officer class.  Of course there are a lot of great poshos, and prob a few working class officers these days (I don't know but would like to think).  Sound leadership across all ranks should not be difficult to work out.  Every company I have ever worked in has made seriously bad mistakes in this regard, but the mil????  You would have thought that it should be the MOST important thing there and they should have sorted it out many years ago, like I say, maybe they have, I just don't have any modern contacts.

Edited by Whowhywhen?
10 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sounds like BAE has woken up to there being a war in the UK education system for the minds of future generations.

People are offended by weapons - and BAE are probably defending their corner.

I was told the charity could not accept a Nerf gun as a donation as it was offensive. People also have objected to the World War 1 Soldier Silhouettes supporting the Poppy appeal on roundabouts because they had riffles on their backs.

9 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Quite a few videos on youtube showing product testing at Kalashnikov factory. The Russian government sets standards for continuous fire, so they basically just swap magazines and shoot until the weapon catches fire, something like 600 rounds I think. Fun to watch. Showed my "gun-club but not much clue about internet" friend - his face lol.

6 hours ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Of course there are a lot of great poshos, and prob a few working class officers these days (I don't know but would like to think).

The lad was very surprised how many at his school (all of whom are destined to be officers) were working class. Very bright, but not posh. 

There were also a few that he really didn't think should be in command of a toaster, let alone a platoon.

They got weeded out over the two years.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

The lad was very surprised how many at his school (all of whom are destined to be officers) were working class. Very bright, but not posh. 

There were also a few that he really didn't think should be in command of a toaster, let alone a platoon.

They got weeded out over the two years.

Outstanding.:S

13 hours ago, wherebee said:

yeah, that would have been one of my schools.  And yes, it was made clear that you'd be expected to be an officer.

Good fun though.  I fired some very big weapons at taxpayers expense.

I was bollocked for dropping out of a run once.  An officer's only legitimate reason for dropping out is injury or passing out apparently.