DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Morrison's & Co-op card problems Tuesday

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

This is why haveing a stash of cash is handy.

Yes.

I was prompted to post because I know a small number of people who don't carry much if any cash who are going to be stuck if their card is rejected.

Also the Co-op is @The XYY Man's cheap whisky purveyor of choice and I wouldn't want him being forced to spend the evening sober.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes.

I was prompted to post because I know a small number of people who don't carry much if any cash who are going to be stuck if their card is rejected.

Also the Co-op is @The XYY Man's cheap whisky purveyor of choice and I wouldn't want him being forced to spend the evening sober.

The Co-op I use had problems on the same day that Morrisons did. It only affected contactless payments, but they did have to switch me to another card reader before I could type my PIN in.

And don't worry Frank - there is always at least thirty quid in my wallet to offset any unanticipated soberness...

XYY

*** This XYY post is certified as being swear-word free ***

6 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Shopped at our co-op on Sunday. Contactless wasn't working but card readers were.

Yes, I think it was Sunday.

But all the days just melt into one during these extraordinary times that we live in.

It definitely wasn't Thursday mind - as that's when them noisy fucking bin-men wake me up before noon...

XYY

Co-op really are a terrible store in terms of management. I remember for a few weeks in 2019 most of the shelves were empty in my local one due to a 'software glitch'.

A lot of the time I go in there and entire shelves/ranges are closed off, god knows why.

They are a bloody rip-off as well, you'd think they'd sort it out.

Morrisons are depressing hell holes and I don't go in them so can't comment there.

19 minutes ago, spunko said:

Co-op really are a terrible store in terms of management. I remember for a few weeks in 2019 most of the shelves were empty in my local one due to a 'software glitch'.

A lot of the time I go in there and entire shelves/ranges are closed off, god knows why.

Morrisons are depressing hell holes and I don't go in them so can't comment there.

Like Morrison's when I've been.  They went through that fancy period with dry ice over some of the fresh produce I think, at least they try.  And there meat and fish I think is meant to be better than most of the other supermarkets.

Don't really see what the appeal is of the co-op though.  Total rip off when I visit.

Us northerners have scotmid which is somehow aligned with co-op but despite usually having smaller stores carry more choice and are pretty generous with their discounts too.  Whereas in the co-op I think they just get rid of their fresh bread etc after a certain hour (was going to a local charity when I asked last time I was in, fair enough - but meant I was without bread and them a sale, this was iirc at least an hour before close)

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

The upside of Co-op's eye watering prices, usually enabled by having a monopoly status as they will put in a mid-size store somewhere viewed as being too small by other supermarkets like the Isles of Scilly, is that when they reduce going out of date food they absolutely slash it.

Tesco might reprice something costing £2 down to £1.80 but Co-op will take it down to 40p.

I very rarely visit a Co-op but when I do I go straight to the yellow stickers.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The upside of Co-op's eye watering prices, usually enabled by having a monopoly status as they will put in a mid-size store somewhere viewed as being too small by other supermarkets like the Isles of Scilly, is that when they reduce going out of date food they absolutely slash it.

Tesco might reprice something costing £2 down to £1.80 but Co-op will take it down to 40p.

I very rarely visit a Co-op but when I do I go straight to the yellow stickers.

This is another thing that baffles me - supermarkets, in particular Waitrose, make a huge deal out of food donation bins. They want you to buy their food and shove it in the donation bin so that they can donate it to the local rapefugee centre.

Meanwhile out the back their staff are chucking away £20k of food every day because nobody wanted to pay £1.80 for a £2 cake that goes off in 3 hours.

For that reason, among others, I will never donate to a 'food donation bin'.

33 minutes ago, DocH said:

I like the one on Newport Road 8n Cardiff. Cheery  with cheery staff. :)

In some parts of the country they're much quieter. Down here in the SE you cannot move inside them because they're so packed. It almost brings me out in hives just thinking about going to Morrisons. xD

36 minutes ago, DocH said:

I like the one on Newport Road 8n Cardiff. Cheery  with cheery staff. :)

It seems to depend upon location. When I lived in Gloucester there were two Lidls.

One was big with a big carpark and straight off the A38. It was pleasant, clean and uncrowded.

There was also a smaller more central one with a small car park; edge of an industrial estate IIRC. It was more convenient for me so I went there a few times.

It was grotty. Dingy, untidy, and those few times I went there I had the impression that I was the only English person in there, including the staff, based upon the languages spoken.

I understand why people can be sniffy about Lidl if that latter one matches their experience.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Went in last night and it was manual purchases only, this is why there should always be cash as  Plan B to avoid digital chaos due to cyber naughtiness.

Think my cash stash could last me serval months but I think I’m an extream case.

Edited by stokiescum
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Didn't you know? There's a war on. 

Edited by The Generation Game
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Meanwhile out the back their staff are chucking away £20k of food every day because nobody wanted to pay £1.80 for a £2 cake that goes off in 3 hours.

I like the yellow sticker items at the end of the day. Sometimes the bargains are brilliant (£3 pack of sausages for 30p which goes straight in the freezer). However sometimes it's a rubbish discount.

I'd assume it depends on the manager.. I'd also guess a lot of out of date food goes home with the staff.

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I like the yellow sticker items at the end of the day. Sometimes the bargains are brilliant (£3 pack of sausages for 30p which goes straight in the freezer). However sometimes it's a rubbish discount.

I'd assume it depends on the manager.. I'd also guess a lot of out of date food goes home with the staff.

My Lidl had reduced some basic sandwiches down to 20p a few weeks ago; I mentioned to the girl on the till how great value that was and she agreed saying that she had bought one for her lunch.  I suppose that's how Lidl keeps their prices down - they don't even let staff have a reduced to 20p sandwich!