DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Brexit is to be a success we need to encourage UK based business, get people to spend more with UK based retailers and manufacturers. Personally think it's a positive that a £200 coat from Ger

I sent a load of second hand kids clothes from HK to family in the UK.  UK officials decided to add 50 quid 'tax' on it before my family could have them.  there were some sentimental items in there so

It really is quite amazing just how far modern cars have managed to completely free to owner/driver from anything resembling day to day maintenance. I suppose keeping the screenwasher filled is about

21 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Surely If I buy stuff from EU, I have already paid VAT. Are these import duties a fiddle? I would have thought we would have negotiated around this better.

Could kill a lot of trade with EU, and that's not what I wanted.

You have paid EU VAT not UK VAT, if it's subject to EU VAT I couldn't say but I suspect not.

The EU vendor should be registered with the UK for VAT purposes and charging the UK VAT rate at time of sale, all these stories about VAT charges are basically because the vendor has not bothered to comply and so the customer has to handle the VAT payments. If you are registered and fill out the paperwork then no additional VAT required.

Anything over £135 will also incur import duty, which VAT will additionally be applied on.

Anybody used to importing stuff from outside of the EU is normally pretty up on the rules. The worst thing you can do is send stuff via courier as they handle all the import side of things and charge additional fees, send it via standard postal services and you avoid that completely.

Edit : on that last bit, I mean you avoid the additional charges applied by the courier, not the VAT or duty.

Edited by gilf
19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Surely If I buy stuff from EU, I have already paid VAT. Are these import duties a fiddle? I would have thought we would have negotiated around this better.

I sent a load of second hand kids clothes from HK to family in the UK.  UK officials decided to add 50 quid 'tax' on it before my family could have them.  there were some sentimental items in there so my rellies had to pay.

So sorry if I have no tears for EU companies being charged tax.  Fuckem.  That's what Korea and Japan did to build their home industries - put barriers up to cheap imports.

24 minutes ago, MrPin said:

VAT is payable at the point of consumption*, your house.

There used to be things called consumption houses, later sanitoria but they were for TB.

p.s. Ring the Germans up, rent a unit and start thomann.co.uk

23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I was thinking about this as someone here recently spunked a lot of money at Thomann, the German music shop. I've done the same myself, and I wonder how this will change.

No idea about them individually, if they do a lot of business with the UK then if they are sensible they will either adhere to UK VAT registration or better still as @Chewing Grass just suggested set up a UK based arm.

However I suspect most of their items would incur import duty, to a level I suspect that would make it uneconomical to use as a UK consumer.

Got nothing against them, if it damages their business then maybe the EU should have taken Brexit a bit more seriously. I'd say a fair few EU business will go to the wall due to this in the longer term.

Edit : I think it's going to take a year or two for the EU to realise what it's done in removing it's second biggest net contributor. All discussions have had the veneer of "Brexit hasn't happened yet", that's gone now.

Edited by gilf
21 minutes ago, wherebee said:

So sorry if I have no tears for EU companies being charged tax.  Fuckem.  That's what Korea and Japan did to build their home industries - put barriers up to cheap imports.

What's interesting is that those two countries plus possibly Singapore and definitely Taiwan, all dislike (hate) China and the Chinese.

And those four countries all despite being small, have mega economies. It just goes to show what happens when you build things yourself rather than import stuff on megatankers from Chy-na.

You could probably add HK to this list too tbh.

7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Might be cheaper to buy a Gibson direct from the USA.

I have previously bought from USA, and expect the import duty. Depends how good the pound is against the Dollar. The item I bought was actually Japanese. Could have sourced it in the UK, so I can't remember why I chose Thomann

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

And those four countries all despite being small, have mega economies. It just goes to show what happens when you build things yourself rather than import stuff on megatankers from Chy-na.

Even the Japanese outsource manufacturing to China, but they do keep a tab on the quality control.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I have previously bought from USA, and expect the import duty. Depends how good the pound is against the Dollar. The item I bought was actually Japanese. Could have sourced it in the UK, so I can't remember why I chose Thomann

The closer you get to price parity the less attractive it is buying remotely, the threat of turning up and smashing a window or two is a pretty decent customer service incentive.

My equivalent to Guitars is Archery Bows, when it was $2 to the pound I would buy a lot directly from the US, it was cost effective, even with the VAT and import duties they were still better value than UK made stuff. When it went down to closer to $1.3 to the pound I just stopped and started buying the local stuff. Sure there are the odd few things you do have to source direct.

While I get the argument it's cheaper, a UK based supplier could fill the whole left and that increase in sales volumes should drive the price down.

23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

2 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I think that Toyota were less than impressed by BMW's standards of engine building when they started their recent joint venture sports car.

As you probably know, I like the Toyota build quality. A chum's BMW blew up when it sucked its plastic flaps into the engine. Bloke bought a Lexus after that costly one.:S

55 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Prior to Brexit, when we sold stuff to the EU countries, we didn't charge UK VAT and charging destination country VAT was not our problem - it was down to the local government to collect.  I don't see that that has changed, except some companies supplying to consumers have not worked this out yet.

For digital products at least, we were supposed to charge local VAT and remit it to the appropriate country. Utterly ludicrous. VAT is a thoroughly EU tax -- we had to adopt it (Britain used to have a simple purchase tax) as a condition of joining the EEC. 

As already noted, Fuck 'em.

40 minutes ago, spunko said:

What's interesting is that those two countries plus possibly Singapore and definitely Taiwan, all dislike (hate) China and the Chinese.

You could probably add HK to this list too tbh.

They're overwhelmingly people to whom investment (= surpluses) comes naturally. People in the West used to be like that, now not so much.

Economists blithely talk about "balancing inflows" for trade deficits, but that's code for ownership of your future passing into foreign hands.

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I don't think these small sellers have got their head round it. I haven't!

Going back to your Thomann example:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_special_tribute_sc_tvy.htm

they're offering free delivery to the UK, and prices net of VAT. 

Therefore need to factor in 20% extra for VAT, plus any import duties and fees?