DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Energy Supplier Early Warning?

Green Energy has invited its customers to get 10% extra by "topping up" their account (their app must offer some kind of PAYG system, I'm with them but just pay by DD).

They recently announced a price hike due to wholesale energy price increases.

Taken together, I think this betrays an urgent need for cash flow. TBH, the "top up" gambit alone would be enough to set alarm bells ringing.

I've now been with two electricity suppliers that have gone bust (probably a consequence of regularly switching to low-priced suppliers :D)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, that the meter will inevitably need to be changed again means that I await the introduction of genuinely smart meters where they are fully standard across all suppliers. I had mine changed a

They are currently in credit default with the balancing company, since yesterday.

I'm in the process of moving both my accounts to British Gas. It's more hassle than it's worth to keep hunting out the best deals with the minnows enticing you with small savings only to later fold. T

Posted Images

I had an email from them asking for a meter reading at the end of the year. They said that it was to check that the DD amount was high enough to cover the winter usage. When I looked I was pretty well in credit. Heard nothing more since.

What happens when one of these outfits goes TU?

Edited by Rare Bear
1 hour ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Green Energy has invited its customers to get 10% extra by "topping up" their account (their app must offer some kind of PAYG system, I'm with them but just pay by DD).

They recently announced a price hike due to wholesale energy price increases.

Taken together, I think this betrays an urgent need for cash flow. TBH, the "top up" gambit alone would be enough to set alarm bells ringing.

I've now been with two electricity suppliers that have gone bust (probably a consequence of regularly switching to low-priced suppliers :D)

I've been with three that have gone bust, Breeze Energy, Extra energy and Economy Energy, got all my money back, but still a hassle. I just negotiated this time with British Gas and got the cheapest tariff + 20% more off.

I was handed from a bust supplier to an incompetent one which never managed to refund what I was owed from the bust one.

I ended up getting an ombudsman ruling but the supplier (which I'd left after three months) still wouldn't refund or send the required compensation and apology letter.

In the meantime I'd  asked the bank to reverse one DD which would have left things pretty even, but they refunded all three. So I got two months of free 'leccy.

Much later the supplier sent me a £70ish payment on top, which bears no relation to the £50 they were due to pay under the ombudsman ruling xD

I'm in the process of moving both my accounts to British Gas. It's more hassle than it's worth to keep hunting out the best deals with the minnows enticing you with small savings only to later fold. The price caps mean it's not even viable for the big players - SSE have given up on retail and ebico sold their accounts to British Gas.

2 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

I had an email from them asking for a meter reading at the end of the year. They said that it was to check that the DD amount was high enough to cover the winter usage. When I looked I was pretty well in credit. Heard nothing more since.

Another supplier is appointed to take over the business (they don't have to honour the old tariffs, I guess you get put onto a standard deal). They're supposed to refund any credit on your old account.

2 hours ago, choochoo said:

I've been with three that have gone bust, Breeze Energy, Extra energy and Economy Energy, got all my money back, but still a hassle. I just negotiated this time with British Gas and got the cheapest tariff + 20% more off.

Thats why I always apply for a rebate as soon as I build up any credit. 

Trouble is I'm on a smart meter which means staying with octopus unless I want the aggro of changing the meter. 

Whoever thought up - hey lets have smart meters but not inter-changable between suppliers needs to be introduced to a wall and a firing squad. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Trouble is I'm on a smart meter which means staying with octopus unless I want the aggro of changing the meter. 

Whoever thought up - hey lets have smart meters but not inter-changable between suppliers needs to be introduced to a wall and a firing squad. 

I've had a smart leccy meter through several suppliers. Obviously doesn't function as a smart one now. Only the leccy as the installer fucked when trying to install the gas meter. Almost cost me a new boiler. Anyway like that visiting me is going to have to give written guarantees wit severe penalty clauses before crossing the doorstep. A guy from Siemens BTW.

2 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:

I was handed from a bust supplier to an incompetent one which never managed to refund what I was owed from the bust one.

I ended up getting an ombudsman ruling but the supplier (which I'd left after three months) still wouldn't refund or send the required compensation and apology letter.

In the meantime I'd  asked the bank to reverse one DD which would have left things pretty even, but they refunded all three. So I got two months of free 'leccy.

Much later the supplier sent me a £70ish payment on top, which bears no relation to the £50 they were due to pay under the ombudsman ruling xD

Administration and decision making has become so convoluted in many companies that often the failure to pay is not deliberate but an outcome of the administrative purgatory. 

There is no SAP code for Mr. Lightly Toasted compo payment. Cannot process, cannot process......

4 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I've had a smart leccy meter through several suppliers. Obviously doesn't function as a smart one now. Only the leccy as the installer fucked when trying to install the gas meter. Almost cost me a new boiler. Anyway like that visiting me is going to have to give written guarantees wit severe penalty clauses before crossing the doorstep. A guy from Siemens BTW.

Our electric one has never worked as a smart meter

Probably for the better as I installed 1.5KW of solar  panels without bothering to put a notification inxD

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

Yes, that the meter will inevitably need to be changed again means that I await the introduction of genuinely smart meters where they are fully standard across all suppliers.

I had mine changed after I installed PVs in 2014; older meters can go backwards when you're a net generator and I didn't want to be diddling the supplier.

I had a meter reader in ?2018 and in reading my meter he said it would need to be changed as it was running backwards on generation.

I pointed out that I had informed SSE when they were installed and the meter was changed: check your records.

I don't feel at all guilty about it going backwards when it is their mistake.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, that the meter will inevitably need to be changed again means that I await the introduction of genuinely smart meters where they are fully standard across all suppliers.

I had mine changed after I installed PVs in 2014; older meters can go backwards when you're a net generator and I didn't want to be diddling the supplier.

I had a meter reader in ?2018 and in reading my meter he said it would need to be changed as it was running backwards on generation.

I pointed out that I had informed SSE when they were installed and the meter was changed: check your records.

I don't feel at all guilty about it going backwards when it is their mistake.

The house I used to have in Cambridge - the meter had been wired to log all the electricity used on Economy 7. They never cottoned on. Had they done I would have sworn no knowledge. 

I sometimes regret selling that house. :D

3 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

Ask mr toasted and ask him where he is going next and don’t copy him

When I moved here 20 years ago, I was with British Gas on a quarterly account.

They had what I thought was an intrusive amount of identity checking before I could pay by phone. As if someone would steal my identity to use MY card to pay MY gas bill.

Within a year I switched to a supplier with a more sensible approach to the paying of the bill.

17 minutes ago, jm51 said:

When I moved here 20 years ago, I was with British Gas on a quarterly account.

They had what I thought was an intrusive amount of identity checking before I could pay by phone. As if someone would steal my identity to use MY card to pay MY gas bill.

Within a year I switched to a supplier with a more sensible approach to the paying of the bill.

All down to Money Laundering Regulations. British Gas never, ever, supply domestic terrorists you know.  Its a well known fact :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The house I used to have in Cambridge - the meter had been wired to log all the electricity used on Economy 7. They never cottoned on. Had they done I would have sworn no knowledge. 

I sometimes regret selling that house. :D

I had a house with an E7 meter which was out by about 12 hours -- cheap electric in the day when you need it...

The original supplier I had to my flat charged me only the E7 usage for 5 years! Their meter reading error. They eventually cottoned on, but waived making any demand for my daytime usage over the 5 year period. Win!

The downside is that they then started charging me properly, and suddenly my leccy bill went up.

I was at the sharp end of deregulation when it happened. The most convoluted set of data swapping I have ever seen between multiple parties for the same “If I press the switch will the light come on” effect. The older guys who new the job inside out and got laid off made a mint being reemployed as consultants, and the software guys must have mansions by the money they were getting.

First day we switched on the transfer process, 100 customers, 10,000 exceptions 😁