DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Britain - Was once a world leader. Your stories please.

I've created this topic to avoid derailing the Hopium Trump/Biden topic.

@86d Told of his dad being present at a British A-bomb test in the Christmas islands while being sat behind a Coconut tree with his hands over his face.  He had to get up and start running when he could no longer see the bones in his hands (to avoid flying coconuts)!!!!!!! There are further tales of test firings from the Isle of Wight  to scare the yanks into giving us more money. Am I right in thinking that this was the British H2O2 based rocket system @86d?  Isn't Prospero still up there?  A pure British satellite, pushed up there on a pure British rocket!  No foreigners involved! - Apart from the fact it was launched from Australia - A country we basically created!

I find this sort of stuff fascinating and hugely motivating bearing in mind that we are a small island of eccentric drunkards!  Indeed , I have a large piece of vegetation which was posted to my grandparents from the same nuclear test that @86d's dad was running from.  I intend to buy a Geiger counter and check it out.  It is a 50X30X30 cm lump of wood upon which he scrawled an address and stuck a stamp.  AND IT GOT HERE! 

I thought I would start a thread for people to talk about when we really were GREAT Britain!  Our personal stories.

Concorde was designed and built down the road from me - My mates grandad was the chief metallurgist.  All just a few miles from where Gordon Murray created the McLaren F1 basically out of his own head! - about a mile from where HG Wells sat down and wrote War of the Worlds!

Tell your personal stories of British Greatness!

Edited by Whowhywhen?
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today we rely on our cousins across the pond to supply F35-B's for our shiny new carriers, so it's easy to forget that Blighty once not only ruled the waves but the skies too. Sixty years ago Britain

I've always been disheatened by Britains ability to piss away our competitive advantage. The old adage that we are a nation run by accountants has never held more true. A lack strategic vision and see

I've created this topic to avoid derailing the Hopium Trump/Biden topic. @86d Told of his dad being present at a British A-bomb test in the Christmas islands while being sat behind a Coconut tree

Posted Images

Not exactly the direction I intended for this thread Mr Fimble.  But there is some truth in the sentiment!  

Some of the peoples of our colonised lands should be welcomed and celebrated as a part of our collective greatness!

Some should not.

And most certainly, some pure white anglo saxon stock should be expelled!

Edited by Whowhywhen?
3 minutes ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Not exactly the direction I intended for this thread Mr Fimble.  But there is some truth in the sentiment!  

Some of the peoples of our colonised lands should be welcomed and celebrated as a part of our collective greatness!

Some should not.

And most certainly, some pure white anglo saxon stock should be expelled!

Apologies, it's something I only found recently, and have been looking for somewhere to shoe horn it in ever since, here felt right. 

I agree we have some crap needing flushed from our own, but blame the dysgenic effects of the welfare state for that, rather than or people themselves. 

Nice idea for a thread btw, we really were great, and could be again, if we can break free of the limits put on our thoughts and words by those who have had extra influence since the end of WW2, and who had too much influence before the war, without those interfering people we could have avoided the war altogether...

Hmm.... fantastically avoiding the area of which I suspect you speak..... I fear, might still have led to us speaking German.  Which carries an ugliness all of it's own!

Let us instead look at another example of Great Britishness

Jethro Tull - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_Tull_(agriculturist)

and another - Jethro Tull - 

Edited by Whowhywhen?
12 minutes ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Hmm.... fantastically avoiding the area of which I suspect you speak..... I fear, might still have led to us speaking German.  Which carries an ugliness all of it's own!

Let us instead look at another example of Great Britishness

Jethro Tull - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_Tull_(agriculturist)

and another - Jethro Tull - 

I really don't think we'd be speaking German, even if we were though- what's preferable?

https://worldtruthvideos.org/watch/at-least-we-039-re-not-speaking-german_t9yykqVJysEVf39.html

another link to the same video :

https://www.bitchute.com/video/DnMdIsiNZaiN/

Oh Fimble!  I thought I had hinted enough - but clearly not.

I know black people and asian people that I would consider more British than you.  No matter how white you and I are.

Promulgating white supremacy is not the intention of this thread.  Please do that elsewhere if you wish.

I want a celebration of British ingenuity with personal anecdotes.

And in response to your last post - Germans regularly correct my English spelling and grammar - so I'd count that as a win!

Edited by Whowhywhen?
1 minute ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Oh Fimble!  I thought I had hinted enough - but clearly not.

I know black people and asian people that I would consider more British than you.  No matter how white you and I are.

Promulgating white supremacy is not the intention of this thread.  Please do that else where if you wish.

I want a celebration of British ingenuity with personal anecdotes.

Ok, apologies- I'll leave you to it, that bit in bold is just ridiculous though. 

Civic or cultural nationalism won't save what you love in the world, and won't bring back our greatness.

It's the people who created this country and it's culture.

2 hours ago, Whowhywhen? said:

@86d Told of his dad being present at a British A-bomb test in the Christmas islands while being sat behind a Coconut tree with his hands over his face.  He had to get up and start running when he could no longer see the bones in his hands (to avoid flying coconuts)!!!!!!! There are further tales of test firings from the Isle of Wight  to scare the yanks into giving us more money. Am I right in thinking that this was the British H2O2 based rocket system @86d?  Isn't Prospero still up there?  A pure British satellite, pushed up there on a pure British rocket!  No foreigners involved! - Apart from the fact it was launched from Australia - A country we basically created!

I find this sort of stuff fascinating and hugely motivating bearing in mind that we are a small island of eccentric drunkards!  Indeed , I have a large piece of vegetation which was posted to my grandparents from the same nuclear test that @86d's dad was running from.  I intend to buy a Geiger counter and check it out.  It is a 50X30X30 cm lump of wood upon which he scrawled an address and stuck a stamp.  AND IT GOT HERE! 

I thought I would start a thread for people to talk about when we really were GREAT Britain!  Our personal stories.

Concorde was designed and built down the road from me - My mates grandad was the chief metallurgist.  All just a few miles from where Gordon Murray created the McLaren F1 basically out of his own head! - about a mile from where HG Wells sat down and wrote War of the Worlds!

Thanks! I’ve never spent any real time digging on it, only remember what my dad mentioned to me, when I was very much a young foolish And disinterested teenager. 
we were very much destitute after the 2nd world war and from what I infer from my dad was that we used our findings and position to increase our bargains position on economic matters with the USA. My dad was really pissed how a lot of the kudos was never heaped on the British engineers. But we did have a rocket ready to launch from Isle of Wight, up into space before the USA. 
let alone know this, average punter down the pub can’t believe it.

also semiconductors. The term solid state was coined at plessey research at caswell. People talk of Kirby being the father of solid state circuits but there was a few places all making advancements in parallel, kind of like the steam engine. Caswell and the guys there were pretty much tied with Texas Instruments on this. My dad worked for plessey when he left the military in the 60s 

2 hours ago, Whowhywhen? said:

On the Australia launch, that’s where the blue streak / back streak programs were conducted. They fired loads of mini rockets in DOE to build up data on figuring out and bounding conditions for re entry  to Earth.

Back when such things were allowed, I went on several holidays to various Asian countries. Although its not fashionable to talk positively about the British empire, it was always in the back of my mind that most of the 'nice' or efficient things in these countries were the stuff we left behind. 

Built with slave labour no doubt, but e.g. without the railways India would be an even bigger shithole than it is.

Edited by Stinky Wizzleteats
Typo

According to my old copy of Competive Advantage of Nations the UK was exceptional in four areas back in my youth 

Confectionary: all seems to have been sold off and offshored

pharma and biotech: yep, when I was starting my caree, we really were. R&D all over the country, and a necklace of it round London. All gone, thanks to the city mergers and acquisitions tribe and offshoring. The Wellcome site in Beckenham is now a housing estate, as are half a dozen more I know of/ have worked at.

Financial services: least said. From about 2000 onwards they've shown themselves to be more a liability to the real economy than an asset.

Weapons and associated aerospace type stuff. Dunno, are we still? Seems to be a lot less of it about now.

6 minutes ago, Melchett said:

According to my old copy of Competive Advantage of Nations the UK was exceptional in four areas back in my youth 

Confectionary: all seems to have been sold off and offshored

pharma and biotech: yep, when I was starting my caree, we really were. R&D all over the country, and a necklace of it round London. All gone, thanks to the city mergers and acquisitions tribe and offshoring. The Wellcome site in Beckenham is now a housing estate, as are half a dozen more I know of/ have worked at.

Financial services: least said. From about 2000 onwards they've shown themselves to be more a liability to the real economy than an asset.

Weapons and associated aerospace type stuff. Dunno, are we still? Seems to be a lot less of it about now.

According to the last Chinese report I read they still see the UK as the world's leader in Biotech.