DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Just had an absolute fucking bombshell dropped on me by a neighbour. There is a house being developed 2 doors from mine. The neighbour has just found out from the developer's wife that they have converted it to six bedsits. No planning permission has been applied for. He has also been told that they have applied to the council to be able to house tenants that nobody else wants - the dregs of society - don't know offhand what scheme it is. They intend to fill it with tenants ASAP and then once up and running apply for retrospective planning permission. 

Help! What can I do? 

Obviously I'm getting straight onto planning as has the neighbour. He's told me that when he spoke to them they didn't seem to be confident that they would do anything and once the council houses these people it's too late. 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. 

What can I do?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had an absolute fucking bombshell dropped on me by a neighbour. There is a house being developed 2 doors from mine. The neighbour has just found out from the developer's wife that they have conve

That is a start. If you can call the whole street and mean the whole street to arms to cause as much shit and blowback to the developers and council that may be another.  

Torch it?

Posted Images

Turn house into HMO and run.

Sorry, best I can say, Moved from area that was going rental the neighbour's house when to a BTL arsehole with plans to extend and put pretty much whole of our back garden in shade. Let alone noise and everything else that goes with it - thin terraced separating walls, that is assuming good tenants. If you know shit is being dumped, only a matter of time it takes the whole street with it unless nipped in the bud.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Forgot to mention if council involved then planners already primed - planners and council obviously two cheeks of the same arsehole. The developer would not do all the work unless pretty damned sure they could get away with it.

I'm trying to find out if the decent planning guy is still working there. He is quite anti-hmo landlords.

To add. There are no HMOs in my street at all. Not one. 

7 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I'm trying to find out if the decent planning guy is still working there. He is quite anti-hmo landlords.

That is a start.

If you can call the whole street and mean the whole street to arms to cause as much shit and blowback to the developers and council that may be another.

Edited by onlyme
59 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Just had an absolute fucking bombshell dropped on me by a neighbour. There is a house being developed 2 doors from mine. The neighbour has just found out from the developer's wife that they have converted it to six bedsits. No planning permission has been applied for. He has also been told that they have applied to the council to be able to house tenants that nobody else wants - the dregs of society - don't know offhand what scheme it is. They intend to fill it with tenants ASAP and then once up and running apply for retrospective planning permission. 

Help! What can I do? 

Obviously I'm getting straight onto planning as has the neighbour. He's told me that when he spoke to them they didn't seem to be confident that they would do anything and once the council houses these people it's too late. 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. 

What can I do?

No advice but I'm sorry- that's terrible, hopefully you can manage to get it refused. 

42 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Its the new normal. Its the only way for the BTL scumlord to justify his purchase and yield is to pile the property full of undesirables. 

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

Help! What can I do? 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. 

What can I do?

Shit like this makes my blood boil. Planning departments in this country are the absolute pits and a law unto themselves. This wanker is only doing this because he is confident he'll get away with it in advance.

You're best bet is to get as many people in the street to compain as possible. At least that way you might be able to force the decision to go to committee, rather than having a corrupt planning officer giving permission without comment whilst accepting a backhander under the table.

You could also try going to the local press to get the developer named and shamed. That might give the council less room for manoeuvre. What you don't want is to be in a position where the council and developer team up to play the 'vulnerable' people card thus guilt tripping everyone into accepting an unfair decision.

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

No advice but I'm sorry- that's terrible, hopefully you can manage to get it refused. 

Wont happen unless there is an article 4 planning restriction usually in student areas. If the flats are individual then yes youd need proper planning, but it'd be very unusual to the LL to spend such high sums of cashs to house scum in his high yield investment.

Have a look at some "I want to convert a resi to HMO - what are the pitfalls?" type forums, random to start you https://www.propertytribes.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24&action=latest_posts 

Hopefully you can find some major hurdle you can put in place that wil get enforced. Not my field but start by getting as many residents to put their concerns on record with the council as you can - does heading it as "Formal complaint about unauthorised propery development" get more attention than a general winge? - copy in both planning dept and your local councillors. Newpapers?

In addition to whatever is the planning requirement they require a council licence for five or more people and you can appeal against the granting of this licence by the council.

This would be on the grounds of it being a normal residential street.

These cost about £500, actual price down to council, and last for five years.

Conditions

You must make sure:

• the house is suitable for the number of occupants (this depends on its size and facilities)
  • the manager of the house - you or an agent - is considered to be ‘fit and proper’, for example they have no criminal record or breach of landlord laws or code of practice

You must also:

• send the council an updated gas safety certificate every year
  • install and maintain smoke alarms
  • provide safety certificates for all electrical appliances when requested

https://www.gov.uk/house-in-multiple-occupation-licence

You can appeal against the granting of a licence:

It is possible to appeal against:

• the council's decision to refuse to grant a HMO licence
  • the council's decision to grant a HMO licence
  • the conditions of a HMO licence
  • the council's decision to vary or revoke a HMO licence
  • the council's decision to refuse to vary or revoke a HMO licence

Appeals can be made by any relevant person, including:

• the applicant for a HMO licence
  • any freeholder, long leaseholder or mortgage lender
  • a person having control of or managing the HMO

How to appeal

Appeals are made to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), which is an independent body. Appeals must be made within 28 days of the decision being appealed against, and you will generally need to pay a fee.

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/housing/landlords/multiple-occupants/appeal-against-licence-decision

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

Help! What can I do? 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. 

What can I do?

Flag it with concil.

Leaflet neighbours.

Flag it with councillor.

Councils are *VERY* anti HMOs - and with good reason.

Councils *DO* do stuff against HMOs.

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

Help! What can I do? 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. 

What can I do?

Which LA are you?

52 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Flag it with concil.

Leaflet neighbours.

Flag it with councillor.

Councils are *VERY* anti HMOs - and with good reason.

Councils *DO* do stuff against HMOs.

Which LA are you?

Not sure I want to give that info out publicly, however, we are in the Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area so that narrows in down. NE Hampshire. 

Rushmoor then. 😂

Edited by the gardener