DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cooking omelettes

DTMark

Question

What's the best way to make sure that an omelette cooks properly and doesn't have this undone white hue in the middle? It's odd since the gas flame is directly underneath the middle of the pan.

Cook it at a high temperature and keep turning it, or at a low temperature for ages?

Bobthebuilder

My favourite method is to use a wok. Keep moving the mixture around the edge of the pan, fold back to the centre and repeat. I use a lowish heat as the wok is a very efficient pan.

• Informative 1

MrLibertyRedux

Pour into the pan and then drag the sides into the middle all the way around, letting the fluid fill the gaps left at the edges. They tend to come out more fluffy too.

How to Make an Omelette (2-ways!) - Jessica Gavin

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder

Funny how reading stuff online affects your life. Had an omelette today for lunch, really nice eggs called Burford browns.

• Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Funny how reading stuff online affects your life. Had an omelette today for lunch, really nice eggs called Burford browns.

Finished my ham and cheese half an hour ago!

Not had one in ages.

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder

By the way, before @Mrs XYY (could not find the husband) turns up, I said "lunch" because I would normally say "dinner" as in dinner in the day and tea in the evening. But thought if I put dinner people would think I had it for tea.

• Lol 2

Carl Fimble
On 27/01/2021 at 12:30, DTMark said:

What's the best way to make sure that an omelette cooks properly and doesn't have this undone white hue in the middle? It's odd since the gas flame is directly underneath the middle of the pan.

Cook it at a high temperature and keep turning it, or at a low temperature for ages?

I start them off on the hob but transfer the frying pan to grill to cook the top, both hot but I turn the heat off on the hob after a minute or so.

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

Jesus Wept
On 01/02/2021 at 12:21, spunko said:

For anyone who considers themselves an omelette pro... Try this and weep.

I think I will have a nice 5 egg omelette for lunch now! With venison and beef on the side. 100% keto after a 5km run that I am patching myself up for. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

I think I will have a nice 5 egg omelette for lunch now! With venison and beef on the side. 100% keto after a 5km run that I am patching myself up for. 

When I used to come home from night shift I would scramble 6 eggs up.

Depends what kind of omelette..  if you're aiming for something like a Spanish tortilla,  then you are either going to need to flip it or get a pan with a lid. 

Otherwise the trick is to go thin..   Two or three eggs max,  beaten in a separate bowl with your seasoning and poured into a hot pan. 

Jesus Wept

4 egg omelette with parmesan / cheddar and cream whisked in. 
Shredded / pulled Venison on the side.

Tasted good. 

EFB8CFC3-E2C1-41D3-A4C6-3CB01C397158.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Wight Flight

butter, not oil, mixed in the egg bowl before cooking.  

little bit of butter in the pan before you pop the egg in.

use an iron pan, not one of those modern kerfuffles.

not too hot n scorchy.

eat 3, then do some for the rest of the family.

One percent

Not omelette but decided to have eggs last night. 

2 slices of toast

smashed avocado used as a butter mixed with tobasco and lime juice

two poached eggs

baby tomatoes fried gently in butter. 

was delish.  :)

• Cheers 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 01/02/2021 at 13:21, spunko said:

For anyone who considers themselves an omelette pro... Try this and weep.

That's exactly how the omelette bloke in the work canteen (more like a restaurant really) makes omelettes, though he will put stuff in them as well, they're not just plain. They're brilliant, but I will say that it's nothing like as easy in real life to do it yourself, I've never been able to make one as good.

On 12/02/2021 at 13:11, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

That's exactly how the omelette bloke in the work canteen (more like a restaurant really) makes omelettes, though he will put stuff in them as well, they're not just plain. They're brilliant, but I will say that it's nothing like as easy in real life to do it yourself, I've never been able to make one as good.

That;s weird because that's exactly the way I make scrambled eggs, except I probably give it a little less time on the heat and don't bother to make it form a definite half moon shape. I wonder what the actual difference is to a pro chef between scrambled egg and a bona-fide omelette.

The Masked Tulip

Whisk the egg up in a jug first. Make sure all the eggs mixes then put it in a sufficiently hot enough pan. Turn at least once so both sides are cooked. Takes minutes.

I tend to call it a whipped egg - no puns - which is commonly eaten in the US. I think we make too much fuss over an omelette and supposedly the correctly way to cook it. Whipped egg sarnie or crusty roll. Ketchup. Fab.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

That;s weird because that's exactly the way I make scrambled eggs, except I probably give it a little less time on the heat and don't bother to make it form a definite half moon shape. I wonder what the actual difference is to a pro chef between scrambled egg and a bona-fide omelette.

About 30 seconds :D

• Lol 1