DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Great Reopening Saturday 30January

Austin Allegro

The Great Reopening movement is encouraging as many businesses to re-open, starting from this Saturday.

It does not appear to be a full civil disobedience campaign  -  ie, pubs are not just going to throw their doors open - but rather, businesses are being encouraged to find loopholes in the law, such as rebranding a barber's as a 'film studio making instructional videos' or a cafe as a 'business meeting space' etc.

On a local level, people do seem to be using the group to share information on businesses/services that can be available 'underground' also, such as manicurists, home tutors, play groups for children etc. Obviously this needs to be approached with caution due to the risk of infiltration by police, collaborators etc.

Communications take place on Telegram. https://t.me/THEGREATREOPENING

• Agree 2
  • Informative 6
  • Cheers 1
Sucralose Ray Leonard

Which year cos it cant be this.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Stuey
14 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Pendants are about...

• Lol 1
Sucralose Ray Leonard
1 minute ago, Stuey said:

Pendants are about...

Can i get a honk?

• Lol 1
spunko
1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Joke's on you as I've edited the title now. :D

• Agree 1
spunko

Someone should tip off Tim Martin, he'd probably be on board.

I can't help but think if there was a bit more notice given, it would be more popular... Most people won't be able to get the staff in at such short notice now.

• Agree 1
Stuey
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

I can't help but think if there was a bit more notice given, it would be more popular... Most people won't be able to get the staff in at such short notice now.

Not sure it's the best time personally. 1st March "Spring Back" would be better if it wasn't a Monday o.O

Austin Allegro
15 minutes ago, spunko said:

As I understand it, it is not a one-off event, it's an attempt to build a parallel economy of businesses which refuse to abide by lockdowns. Some (probably not many) will be brave enough to open up publicly. Most will be doing it in disguise (eg, turning a barber's shop into a film studio etc).

Others will be offering services via local Telegram groups as well as social interaction and support, eg, providing a safe space for children from different families to meet and play indoors, etc.

Long term it could even be things like small musical/theatrical productions in peoples' homes; even secret services of Holy Communion, like during the Tudor persecutions. Certainly that's the case if like me you believe we are in for something which is going to last a long time.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 2
Sucralose Ray Leonard
3 hours ago, spunko said:

Joke's on you as I've edited the title now. :D

Bet youre a hedge fund manager in your spare time, ya bastard!

MrLibertyRedux

I'll certainly be supporting anything near me if I can find it. Trawling now.

• Agree 1
dgul
20 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Long term it could even be things like small musical/theatrical productions in peoples' homes; even secret services of Holy Communion, like during the Tudor persecutions. Certainly that's the case if like me you believe we are in for something which is going to last a long time.

Ha!  In the olden days people would have had a sing-song around the piano.  Then they invented the gramophone and the whole country breathed a sigh of relief.

Bear Hug

Looks like the great reopening went nowhere in Reading. But at least there is a telegram group and they are going on a walk together. I wouldn't join today as I've just walked quite a lot, but it's a start. 

JohnThePessimist

Looks like today was a damp squib regarding business premises opening.  Looking at some of the local threads on telegram, people have made contact with some mobile service providers (barbers, dog grooming etc), so they appear to have achieved something. 

Edited by JohnThePessimist
Clarify first sentence
  • Agree 2
Bear Hug
5 minutes ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Looks like today was a damp squib. Looking at some of the local threads on telegram, people have made contact with some mobile service providers (barbers, dog grooming etc), so they appear to have achieved something. 

I can't imagine many businesses risking it at the moment. Group walks/picnics in a park once the weather gets better will probably do quite well and would be harder to police 

JFK
18 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

You can't get a haircut but you can go to a tailor. 

And you can go to cheapo Kentucky fried turkey kebab shop,  vape shop, etc.  So 'essential ' 

• Agree 1
Panther
On 29/01/2021 at 14:02, Austin Allegro said:

Long term it could even be things like small musical/theatrical productions in peoples' homes; even secret services of Holy Communion, like during the Tudor persecutions.

Haha, we've been doing that since whenever. No Holy Communion allowed at Mass but who knows what might happen once it's over...

Austin Allegro
On 30/01/2021 at 17:30, maynardgravy said:

You can't get a haircut but you can go to a tailor. 

Is that true? All the alterations places near me are closed and one even said on his website he's not doing mail order jobs because of the risk of spreading the covids on clothing!

Austin Allegro
On 30/01/2021 at 15:33, Bear Hug said:

I can't imagine many businesses risking it at the moment. Group walks/picnics in a park once the weather gets better will probably do quite well and would be harder to police 

Most of the businesses that signed up for the Great Reopening were, as far as I could tell, ones that had already done so or ones which were in a sort of grey area  - eg the shop I visited had been told because it sold some essential items (toilet rolls etc) had not been definitively told not to open after a visit from the police and council officials.

Any kind of mass reopening is never going to happen in the UK, IMO. The government is cleverly keeping support going long enough for businesses to repurpose themselves or shut down permanently so that the 'problem' sorts itself. Eg the owner of the shop I visited said she had decided to close the business down and become an employee elsewhere because she couldn't be sure she'd ever be allowed to reopen again. 

I think you're right that as the weather improves it will be harder to distinguise GR people from 'normal' people and the police won't be able to cope. Last Saturday it was clear who the GR folk were in the local cathedral city, apparently, as there just wasn't anybody else around due to the shocking weather.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Informative 1