DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ludicrous skinflintery

I fully subscribe to avoiding adding to possessions - partly money saving, partly to avoid clutter - but am happy to pay for experiences. Though the first alone makes me a loser in the eyes of a consumerist world which views the winner as being who has the most stuff when they die.

There is a programme on TLC called Extreme Cheapskates which is being discussed on the radio this morning.

There are a couple of examples at the link:

US millionaire who buys catfood because it is 20p cheaper per can than tuna.

A man who drinks out of yoghurt cartons. (Why, mugs last decades and cost a couple of quid if that?).

If anyone has been watching this or has RL examples please add; especially where they are a false economy.

One I heard on the radio ages ago was a daughter who had grown up in a house where her father went around turning off all unused lights to keep his electricity bill down.

When she returned when older she realised that the glowing red switch outside the bathroom which had always been on when she was a child was the immersion heater; on permanently and the actual reason for the high bills.

And a relative by marriage who, amongst other things, heard on the radio that insects were the cheapest protein available and now buys packets of (dead) locusts from the pet shop for his daily snacks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13866110/cheapest-millionaire-eats-cat-food-tlc/

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was told these two little 'townies' (5 & 9) would never eat pheasant Perhaps not I thought, if they were just given a dish of pheasant for supper. So, they did the following themselves

To benefit from the cheap price of food you need just a little bit of cooking know-how. Not much; just enough to know how to boil pasta and rice, cook vegetables, what goes with what, and the confiden

Budgeting and loan interest would be incredibly useful. What you say there is for me the absolute best reason for retaining cash as a primary mode of exchange. When you have your money as di

Posted Images

Just now, MrPin said:

You do give the impression of being comically thrifty though.:S

Yes, I like to make a joke of it.

For me though it is value that I demand rather than cheapness which I think is different.

When my kettle was on the way out I could have bought an Argos value one for a tenner, but I have seen these at other people's and they are light and flimsy, and instead bought a decent heavy enamel finish one from Lidl.

My car cost twelve or thirteen grand, hardly bangernomics, though I've kept it for a long time as everything still works.

And I have never bought catfood other than for cats!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I fully subscribe to avoiding adding to possessions - partly money saving, partly to avoid clutter - but am happy to pay for experiences. Though the first alone makes me a loser in the eyes of a consumerist world which views the winner as being who has the most stuff when they die.

There is a programme on TLC called Extreme Cheapskates which is being discussed on the radio this morning.

There are a couple of examples at the link:

US millionaire who buys catfood because it is 20p cheaper per can than tuna.

A man who drinks out of yoghurt cartons. (Why, mugs last decades and cost a couple of quid if that?).

If anyone has been watching this or has RL examples please add; especially where they are a false economy.

One I heard on the radio ages ago was a daughter who had grown up in a house where her father went around turning off all unused lights to keep his electricity bill down.

When she returned when older she realised that the glowing red switch outside the bathroom which had always been on when she was a child was the immersion heater; on permanently and the actual reason for the high bills.

And a relative by marriage who, amongst other things, heard on the radio that insects were the cheapest protein available and now buys packets of (dead) locusts from the pet shop for his daily snacks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13866110/cheapest-millionaire-eats-cat-food-tlc/

Why not just go vege, get a pressure n yellow peas?

Seriously.

My diet has been totally unaffected by food price inflation.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Why not just go vege, get a pressure n yellow peas?

Seriously.

My diet has been totally unaffected by food price inflation.

Well mostly because I think food is incredibly cheap; probably the cheapest it has ever been relative to incomes.

I don't see a need to economise on food - meaning supermarket food as opposed to greasy bacteria-ridden takeaways - in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well mostly because I think food is incredibly cheap; probably the cheapest it has ever been relative to incomes.

I don't see a need to economise on food - meaning supermarket food as opposed to greasy bacteria-ridden takeaways - in the slightest.

I meant cat food millionaire n Uncle Locust.

If you are bothered about cost - and even meat is cheap, for what you need to eat- why not go vege half the week.

It's just people getting stuff arse about face on cost n spending.

Mrs spys idiot btler friend has 3 cars on PCP but only buys cheap aldi n Iceland food.

Her car bill must be 1500/m yet brag about only spending 100/w on food - and it the junk food end, stodge, not good buying.

Mental.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Mrs spys idiot btler friend has 3 cars on PCP but only buys cheap aldi n Iceland food.

Her car bill must be 1500/m yet brag about only spending 100/w on food - and it the junk food end, stodge, not good buying.

All fur 'n' no knickers as my late gran would often say.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbh, I'm always amazed at how cheap food is. For £5 you can eat reasonably well for a day. £5 is basically about half an hours labour for a median worker. Back in medieval days it was more or less a full time job growing and storing food.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

You can't get Colway Rally Remoulds anymore anyway, they were great back in the day of 70 series rubber.

Back in the 70s, you were lucky if your car would do 70mph. Even my old rust bucket is good for 155, although I have never tried that, officer.

Often been the recipient of derisory sneers for the standard by which I abide. 'If possible, avoid buying anything new.'

My retort to such pompous contempt:

Was your house a newbuild when you bought it?

Did you buy your car new?

Was your wife a virgin when you met her?

All second hand mate, all second hand.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Marcus Rashford says ........

Yeah... obviously white people are stopping black people using supermarkets. Poor black people are forced to use takeaways :( fried chicken isnt cheap.

In all honesty though, a pack of 5 bananas is £1. Its dirt cheap. Even an ok supermarket pizza is £2. 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I like to make a joke of it.

For me though it is value that I demand rather than cheapness which I think is different.

When my kettle was on the way out I could have bought an Argos value one for a tenner, but I have seen these at other people's and they are light and flimsy, and instead bought a decent heavy enamel finish one from Lidl.

My car cost twelve or thirteen grand, hardly bangernomics, though I've kept it for a long time as everything still works.

And I have never bought catfood other than for cats!

You are indeed an amateur Frank!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4230429

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I meant cat food millionaire n Uncle Locust.

If you are bothered about cost - and even meat is cheap, for what you need to eat- why not go vege half the week.

It's just people getting stuff arse about face on cost n spending.

Mental.

Fair enough and yes I agree.

My primary reason for not buying possessions is that I dislike clutter; having more money as a result is a secondary bonus.

Cars are the litmus paper for me.  When I started earning decent-ish money I found that those on similar salaries who would moan about being skint, or would welcome payday when most wouldn't even mention it, were all driving flash recent plate cars that you had to say they couldn't really afford. 

That's the big dividing line between comfortable and skint: what you drive and how you pay for it.

One family I knew had maybe £70k income, a lot for Cornwall, but husband and wife drove lease cars which they changed every three years.   Not only did they not own a house but I heard that had big debts.  They weren't in any other way extravagant though of course their kids cost them money; it was primarily down to the cars.  I thought it was mad: just buy a couple of basic Dacias brand new for for £8k.

They were paying, I've just looked up their models, about £600 a month for the two fairly ordinary cars (one did high mileage) meaning "depreciation" cost them £7.2k a year.  Buy the Dacias and keep them for six years and that is a maximum of £2,667, assuming zero resale value, or £4.6k saved out of net income every year to start paying down those debts.  

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Yeah... obviously white people are stopping black people using supermarkets. Poor black people are forced to use takeaways :( fried chicken isnt cheap.

In all honesty though, a pack of 5 bananas is £1. Its dirt cheap. Even an ok supermarket pizza is £2. 

Sardines 39p, an egg 10p 

2 minutes ago, montecristo said:

You are indeed an amateur Frank!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4230429

That's different.

I was actually tempted by the "keep warm" kettles which you fill and boil at the start of the day and they are then kept close to boiling so that you can have boiling water near-instantly.

https://buythe10.com/top-10-best-electric-water-kettles/

This seems to replicate, for about £40, the high volume boilers that cost £2k - £3k which people, mad people, somehow view as essential in a domestic house.  We had them at my last office and they broke down for a pastime.