Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

I was just watching the telly and there was yet another segment of a teary eyed family member telling us how covid killed a family member. I couldn't help thinking that when there is a terrorist attack no family members are ever interviewed on telly about their lost kid etc.

The difference in media/ government reaction to covid/ terrorism is mind blowing. With covid we've shut down the economy for a year and people cant travel. With terrorism it's basically a case of "Nothing to see here. Move along".

I'd argue that terrorism will be a bigger threat to europe than covid overt the next 50 years....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I was just watching the telly and there was yet another segment of a teary eyed family member telling us how covid killed a family member. I couldn't help thinking that when there is a terrorist attack no family members are ever interviewed on telly about their lost kid etc.

The difference in media/ government reaction to covid/ terrorism is mind blowing. With covid we've shut down the economy for a year and people cant travel. With terrorism it's basically a case of "Nothing to see here. Move along".

I'd argue that terrorism will be a bigger threat to europe than covid overt the next 50 years....

One of the problems with greiving relatives is when they're exploited to push an agenda.

Frequently they're used for road safety campaigners to force through speed limit changes, freedom of expression etc without any scientific justification.

Grieving relatives are experts on grief, that's it, not road safety, epidemiology, drug abuse or any of the campaigns that eventually affect the rest of the population for no other reason than than it makes the relatives feel better.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

One of the problems with greiving relatives is when they're exploited to push an agenda.

Frequently they're used for road safety campaigners to force through speed limit changes, freedom of expression etc without any scientific justification.

Grieving relatives are experts on grief, that's it, not road safety, epidemiology, drug abuse or any of the campaigns that eventually affect the rest of the population for no other reason than than it makes the relatives feel better.

 

The mother of some stabbed child in London is never sobbing and full of forgiveness.

Why is no one bring forgiving?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever seen the footage of the Queen visiting the hospital that treated the Manchester Arena bombing victims? A load of beaming nurses saying how it was great, actually, as they'd done an exercise into just such an event a few days previously, so on the night it went off like clockwork. It's properly weird.

Meanwhile a few coffin dodgers wheeze their last and they're all traumatised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eight said:

Have you ever seen the footage of the Queen visiting the hospital that treated the Manchester Arena bombing victims? A load of beaming nurses saying how it was great, actually, as they'd done an exercise into just such an event a few days previously, so on the night it went off like clockwork. It's properly weird.

Meanwhile a few coffin dodgers wheeze their last and they're all traumatised.

It's as if they're trying to act out a pandemic..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Maybe "terrorism" was the wrong word. However places like Yugoslavia and Rwanda show that ethnic genocide is real...

Civil war is different. The events you chose were absolutely appalling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one that really boils my piss is this one.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/danielle-beccan-how-14-year-3385543

They wheel the mother out every time the media do a piece on gun crime or, more significantly, further restrictions on gun ownership.

Whilst it is tragic that a 14 year old girl was shot, no one ever asks what the fuck a 14 year old girl was doing on the streets of St Ann's at gone midnight?

It's the worst area of Nottingham, renowned for its gang feuds and gun crime. Total fucking shithole.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Civil war is different. The events you chose were absolutely appalling.

Maybe you should look at how Christians are treated in places like Pakistan and Egypt?

I think my point stands. The way the media have shown covid is completely different to how they show terrorism. We've had umpteen pieces about nurses not coping with people dying from covid. Not one piece about nurses not coping with sticking kids together after the Manchester attack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

The one that really boils my piss is this one.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/danielle-beccan-how-14-year-3385543

They wheel the mother out every time the media do a piece on gun crime or, more significantly, further restrictions on gun ownership.

Whilst it is tragic that a 14 year old girl was shot, no one ever asks what the fuck a 14 year old girl was doing on the streets of St Ann's at gone midnight?

It's the worst area of Nottingham, renowned for its gang feuds and gun crime. Total fucking shithole.

I think Saint Stephen of Lawrence is the ultimate in one sided media reporting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Great Guy said:

Maybe you should look at how Christians are treated in places like Pakistan and Egypt?

I think my point stands. The way the media have shown covid is completely different to how they show terrorism. We've had umpteen pieces about nurses not coping with people dying from covid. Not one piece about nurses not coping with sticking kids together after the Manchester attack.

I've travelled to both Pakistan, and Egypt. Christians are a bit in the minority, and obviously I'm not local. There's a fuck off sized Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo, which looks expensive. Pakistan is more OK than you think, as we got the local lager, rather than the Heineken, at a rather inflated price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've travelled to both Pakistan, and Egypt. Christians are a bit in the minority, and obviously I'm not local. There's a fuck off sized Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo, which looks expensive. Pakistan is more OK than you think, as we got the local lager, rather than the Heineken, at a rather inflated price.

So Pakistan is OK because you bought a local lager rather than Heineken. Good to know. I guess we should all just ignore Christian persecution in Pakistan then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Great Guy said:

So Pakistan is OK because you bought a local lager rather than Heineken. Good to know. I guess we should all just ignore Christian persecution in Pakistan then.

It was only a short visit. I cannot comment on that. I didn't really ask. It wasn't mentioned, by anyone I spoke to. I only relate my own experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Option5 said:

One of the problems with greiving relatives is when they're exploited to push an agenda.

Frequently they're used for road safety campaigners to force through speed limit changes, freedom of expression etc without any scientific justification.

Grieving relatives are experts on grief, that's it, not road safety, epidemiology, drug abuse or any of the campaigns that eventually affect the rest of the population for no other reason than than it makes the relatives feel better.

 

There was an excellent Mitchell and Webb sketch where a bloke whose wife had been killed by a train was phoned up for an interview by a radio show.

When asked what should be done about rail safety he said that he was confident that it was being regularly assessed by highly skilled and experienced professionals who had to balance resources against safety but that he knew nothing about rail safety himself so couldn't understand why they had phoned him up to ask him.

It was funny because it was do true. The script was better than I have rendered it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPin said:

I didn't really ask. It wasn't mentioned, by anyone I spoke to. I only relate my own experience.

Yes, it's not the sort of thing you expect to chat about in polite circles, after dinner. But, to give them their due, the sunni muslims in Pakistan are experts in delivering equality of opportunity to minorities. You could be Shiite, Ahmadiyya or Christian - no problem, your place of worship is just as likely to be under threat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So covid is being handled like a psychop to steal someone elses adjective I read today.  Keep the pressure on, keep people scared and ready to take any vaccine offered asap.

Terrorists need news too though, and that's a big part of why there so effective in the media driven West.  I don't think they'd be as effective in China if the news censorship means that 5 people dying from a lone wolf stabber only gets talked about by a few thousand rather than millions or billions.

Sick to almost death of covid news dominating everything.  It's clear it's taken on a life of its own and blown out of all porportion.  Bit concerning is why though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I was just watching the telly and there was yet another segment of a teary eyed family member telling us how covid killed a family member. I couldn't help thinking that when there is a terrorist attack no family members are ever interviewed on telly about their lost kid etc.

The difference in media/ government reaction to covid/ terrorism is mind blowing. With covid we've shut down the economy for a year and people cant travel. With terrorism it's basically a case of "Nothing to see here. Move along".

I'd argue that terrorism will be a bigger threat to europe than covid overt the next 50 years....

More healthy children died in the Manchester bombing that have died from Covid.

I suppose that's why there are no Covid bee tattoos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

There was an excellent Mitchell and Webb sketch where a bloke whose wife had been killed by a train was phoned up for an interview by a radio show.

When asked what should be done about rail safety he said that he was confident that it was being regularly assessed by highly skilled and experienced professionals who had to balance resources against safety but that he knew nothing about rail safety himself so couldn't understand why they had phoned him up to ask him.

It was funny because it was do true. The script was better than I have rendered it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Sick to almost death of covid news dominating everything.  It's clear it's taken on a life of its own and blown out of all porportion.  Bit concerning is why though.

It's a bit like when princess diana died. The media went into meltdown. I have to admit i really didnt give much of a fuck she died and got fed up with the coverage.

I dont know about the rest of the UK. But after the dunblane shooting the scottish media went berserk for a year talking about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

It's a bit like when princess diana died. The media went into meltdown. I have to admit i really didnt give much of a fuck she died and got fed up with the coverage.

I dont know about the rest of the UK. But after the dunblane shooting the scottish media went berserk for a year talking about it. 

I remember it well. I was coming back from my jump course at Brize Norton.

Stopped at a burger king (I think)and everyone was standing still and quiet in remembrance or whatever at her death. One of the blokes went up to order. The burd says "please wait a moment to reflect on blah blah" or something like that. Can't remember exactly. 

I do however remember his response. 

"I don't give a fuck give me a burger"

 

xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

It's a bit like when princess diana died. The media went into meltdown. I have to admit i really didnt give much of a fuck she died and got fed up with the coverage.

I dont know about the rest of the UK. But after the dunblane shooting the scottish media went berserk for a year talking about it. 

Yeah I wasn't that bothered about her dying either (well I didn't know her and was young and had more interesting things to worry about)  Didn't watch TV much either then but she did seem nice by all accounts but guess if it's her Vs Charles she was a bit more real as well as photogenic.

Weirdly remember getting woken up to the news she had died like it was quite a momentous event which in hindsight it was.

Dunblane I remember having more of an effect with the media as it seemed so insane at the time.  Definitely must have dominated the news for a long time after.

Talking of media though the one event and resultant newspaper headlines that stand out for me personally was Hillsborough disaster.  Was quite young but still remember being shocked/ fascinated by the images on the front of the papers with people crushed to death against the fence.  So visceral but equally weird how to me at the time how someone was just photographing it when in my simple mind they could have cut the fence away or something to alleviate the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...