DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wherefore art though 'flu?

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

I've thought this an inevitable effect of the lockdown since in reply to my noting I'd been offered a free NHS 'flu for the first ever time somebody on here asked "From who do you think you'll catch it?".

Every other year I've been in busy offices, eaten out in pubs, been into small shops.

This year: nothing because of lockdown so I didn't bother having the jab purely because I couldn't be bothered booking an appointment and then going there to have it.  That looks like the right decision.

Flu is 'almost wiped out' and at lowest level in 130 YEARS as seasonal virus plummets by 95%

• Experts say bug appears to have been 'almost wiped out' after 95 per cent drop 
  • Week in January saw 1.1 in 100,000 people report flu-like symptoms to their GPs
  • This compares to five-year average of 27 in what is typically worst time for virus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9206071/Flu-wiped-lowest-level-130-YEARS-seasonal-virus-plummets-95.html

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

sarahbell
37 minutes ago, Melchett said:

It’s the masks...:ph34r:

Masks
Washing hands
Staying away from people

Probably a combination of them all. You keep your sniffly germs to yourself when you wear a mask and probably wipe less nose goo on everything you touch as you walk round the supermarket.

• Agree 4

sarahbell
26 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

how much of the flu is spread by people flying around the world and that's not been possible

The common thing I hear about flying is the air used to be cleaner when they let people smoke.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It'll come back in the winter of 22-23 and be horrid.

[or perhaps the year after -- you just can't tell with flu]

[The interesting statistic about the flu jab that I only found out about when researching viral vaccine escape is that the flu jab is more effective if you didn't take it last year (well, its protection against H3N1, which is the big killer for the 65+ group) -- its efficiency appears to wane with a repeated dose.  Now, this is kind-of useless information, as you don't know if this year is going to be your year and so if you're in a risk group (or don't like being inconvenienced by flu) you should take it anyway -- but it is interesting nonetheless]

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

sarahbell
3 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Flu has been almost eradicated because people are staying at home and wearing masks when they have to go out.

Covid is out of control because people are going out too much and not wearing their masks properly.

9_9

Must be the international travel ban then.oh wait 

Are we only avoiding Australia and New Zealand? 

Rare Bear
9 hours ago, sarahbell said:

The common thing I hear about flying is the air used to be cleaner when they let people smoke.

It costs money to properly ventilate airliners. That's why smoking was first banned.

• Agree 1

Virgil Caine

As far as I am aware the medical profession don’t routinely test for flu unless people are admitted to hospital. Instead they base the diagnosis on the symptoms a lot of which are very similar to the coronavirus. It is therefore quite possible that people could test positive  for the latter but actually be suffering the former.

• Agree 4

Miraculous how the seasonal flu3 has disappeared isn't it.  Just totally gone yet corona cases sky 3 rocket. 

The cognitive dissonance when this is brought up is astonishing,  however,  refreshing to see many comments pointing this out!

As mentioned,  a diagnosis of flu is predominantly made on symptoms some of which can be attributed to influenza,  a clinical diagnostic test is rarely done and hospital admissions are usually for the sickest as for the vast majority of people flu isn't that bad. 

... the coof on the l other hand  ... 

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

Covid IS just another flu. Unfortunately it has been over-hyped, and gifted with magical status, like Apple devices, or Musk's electric chariot.:Old:

• Agree 10

8 hours ago, LC1 said:

Flu has been almost eradicated because people are staying at home and wearing masks when they have to go out.

Covid is out of control because people are going out too much and not wearing their masks properly.

9_9

They were saying that flu is harder to spread as it's droplet based where covid is aerosol, so the measures to dampen covid spread have been more effective against flu.

Seems logical.

I wonder when the requirement will shift from face coverings (any old crap) to wearing proper medical grade covid resistant masks like Germany and others are starting to move towards. Surely the PPE manufacture and supply process has been improved over the last year so the original risk of taking supply required for medics has been overcome.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BoSon said:

They were saying that flu is harder to spread as it's droplet based where covid is aerosol, so the measures to dampen covid spread have been more effective against flu.

Seems logical.

I wonder when the requirement will shift from face coverings (any old crap) to wearing proper medical grade covid resistant masks like Germany and others are starting to move towards. Surely the PPE manufacture and supply process has been improved over the last year so the original risk of taking supply required for medics has been overcome.

It’s amazing the mental gymnastics people will make to believe the narrative 

surely anyone with one brain cell can work out they are relabelling flu as covid 😂😂

I think they even came out with a statement saying they were going to lump flu cases in with covid 

Wake up!!

• Agree 5

10 hours ago, LC1 said:

9_9

Different R values for SARS CoV2 and influenza virus due to them being different viruses with different degrees of transmissibility. If the same set of social behaviours gives flu an R value of 0.8 and SARS CoV2 an R value of 1.2 then flu will die out and SARS CoV2 will run rampant.

When will it be over?”: An introduction to viral reproduction numbers, R0  and Re - The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Darude said:

Different R values for SARS CoV2 and influenza virus due to them being different viruses with different degrees of transmissibility. If the same set of social behaviours gives flu an R value of 0.8 and SARS CoV2 an R value of 1.2 then flu will die out and SARS CoV2 will run rampant.

When will it be over?”: An introduction to viral reproduction numbers, R0  and Re - The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine

So all of those have an unmitigated R number of more than 1? (you'd think they might have highlighted 1 on the chart, given the significance).

So I guess we're all dead, then?

• Lol 1

Old Bojo doesnt have much luck does he, the year he cures the flu and saves thousands of lives, a flu like virus comes along and kills all those people he saved.

If the govt are so worried about respiratory illnesses why the fuck can i go and buy a packet of cigarettes.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

1 hour ago, Hancock said:

why the fuck can i go and buy a packet of cigarettes.

Because they make money by taxing those.

This story is the perfect example - if anyone wanted one - of the pervasiveness of COVID propaganda. I sent the link to the article to some COVID-ists, and their reactions were all the same. It was not as I had hoped "oh, how silly we've been!" but more along the lines of "well OF COURSE. The masks work, so the flu isn't spreading as easily, stupid!"

Someone who gave a fuck would have shot back with "if masks work, why is COVID-19 spreading then?" but I just don't entertain it now.

Things are so entrenched that nothing - nothing - will change people's minds now on whether COVID-19 is a fraud or not. It is too much mental upheaval for both sides to even bother arguing.

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 6

14 hours ago, dgul said:

It'll come back in the winter of 22-23 and be horrid.

[or perhaps the year after -- you just can't tell with flu]

[The interesting statistic about the flu jab that I only found out about when researching viral vaccine escape is that the flu jab is more effective if you didn't take it last year (well, its protection against H3N1, which is the big killer for the 65+ group) -- its efficiency appears to wane with a repeated dose.  Now, this is kind-of useless information, as you don't know if this year is going to be your year and so if you're in a risk group (or don't like being inconvenienced by flu) you should take it anyway -- but it is interesting nonetheless]

Ill come back in 2021-22 and barely register as coivd has brought forward the flu deaths.

• Agree 1

Battenberg
11 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

As far as I am aware the medical profession don’t routinely test for flu unless people are admitted to hospital. Instead they base the diagnosis on the symptoms a lot of which are very similar to the coronavirus. It is therefore quite possible that people could test positive  for the latter but actually be suffering the former.

Can you imagine if they tested loads of people only to find they’re walking about with flu without symptoms.

• Lol 2

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Ill come back in 2021-22 and barely register as coivd has brought forward the flu deaths.

Its here in 20/21, just flu deaths are called Covid deaths.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Its here in 20/21, just flu deaths are called Covid deaths.

Same as every other type of death...

• Agree 1