DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

It's Coming Home, It's Coming, Grandad's Coming Home

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1391521/brexit-latest-expats-UK-pensioners-leaving-EU-retirees-return-to-UK-EU-visa

10K our of 500K isn't a lot but, all the same, I wonder how much of this is due to COVID rather than Brexit? I know a couple of Brits who've left Canada to return to the UK (and some Canadians who've done the reverse) because of the the plague for example. I can speak from personal experience when I say it's tough being in a different country from most of your family and worrying about things like what happens if one of them dies and you can't make it back for funerals etc. There's also now the consideration that, if you want to get vaccinated this year, then the UK is probably the place to be as well.

I think this sort of thing spreads doubt in people too and tends to have a knock on effect. My parents went to Australia many years ago with 2 small children. They lived amongst quite a few expats. Once one or two couples started coming back, many more followed. Reminds me of when you get a group of couples and one separates, generally a few more follow as they start to re-evaluate their circumstances.

If you are in a country with a healhcare system which is not free at point of contact (most countries in the world), and you are over 80, and COVID comes along which will almost definitely give you a high risk of complications, you'd be mad not to head back to the UK.

Add in the wish to see family before the borders come down (we have family in NZ, elderly, haven't seen for over a year now).

Make sense if you have a base in the UK to use.

2 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

What’s the normal return rate for ex pats ? 

As I understand it quite few only last a few years abroad before scuttling back to the U.K.

I don’t know the rate but I expect what you’re implying is correct. That is, the return rate isn’t far off the norm but the leaving rate has fallen, likely as a mix of Brexit and COVID. 

56 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I think this sort of thing spreads doubt in people too and tends to have a knock on effect. My parents went to Australia many years ago with 2 small children. They lived amongst quite a few expats. Once one or two couples started coming back, many more followed. Reminds me of when you get a group of couples and one separates, generally a few more follow as they start to re-evaluate their circumstances.

You say that as if they left you behind when they went!