DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sir Tom Moore

Libspero

Anyone else sick of hearing about him?

BBC running endless stories..  the latest being of course that he’s caught Covid.

He seems like a decent guy,  I’m sure like many others we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for his services during the war..   but I can’t help thinking that I wish he’d just pop his clogs so the BBC et al will stop fawning over him like some kind of celebrity national hero.   

I really don’t care what charity he’s doing sponsored knitting for this week,  I really don’t need to know what he had for breakfast.  

• Agree 7

Well either this man or someone close to him have obviously been highly irresponsible and inconsiderate and not adhered to the rules and guidance when it comes to covid.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
36 minutes ago, Royston said:

Well either this man or someone close to him have obviously been highly irresponsible and inconsiderate and not adhered to the rules and guidance when it comes to covid.

Not that I’m cynical about journalists you understand, but I was wondering if one of them knew themselves to be infectious and was looking for a story.....

Decent old bloke, like most from his generation, but he’s had his time, it’s only sad for the family if he dies. (And, of course, the demented Twitterati I suppose)

• Agree 1

Very unwise to travel intercontinental at that age, let alone during a pandemic. The reason why insurance rates are so high related to age/travel.

Could very well have picked up pneumonia from travelling abroad, I know of one example and that had life changing consequences as a result of that.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 4

My grandfather traveled to New Zealand and back when he was 92.  He said he was so befuddled by the time he arrived in Heathrow he didn't know who he was or what he was doing.  Airport people had to intervene, move him around on one of those  beepy carts and contact relatives to get him picked up.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Chewing Grass
Just now, Inigo said:

My grandfather traveled to New Zealand and back when he was 92.  He said he was so befuddled by the time he arrived in Heathrow he didn't know who he was or what he was doing.  Airport people had to intervene, move him around on one of those  beepy carts and contact relatives to get him picked up.

Low oxygen levels (hypoxia), aircraft are notorious for it and old folk very susceptible.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 5

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Probably thought he  had landed at Nairobi.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 8

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Low oxygen levels (hypoxia), aircraft are notorious for it and old folk very susceptible.

Why would there be low oxygen levels? It's probably low everything at that height, although I thought big planes are pressurised? It's why the Champagne goes straight to your head.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Why would there be low oxygen levels? It's probably low everything at that height, although I thought big planes are pressurised? It's why the Champagne goes straight to your head.

Pressurised but not fully pressurised.

• Agree 2

Iamcynical
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

They are pressured at an equivalent of about 8000ft asl.  Hence why o2 is lower and peoples feet sometimes swell. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

stokiescum

Legal or not his family were selfish to

take him out there.if he gets better and is offered a free trip sking will that appear on the bucket list ie he had to go

• Agree 2

It's very simple. 

According to very clearly established media rules - he is a COVIDIOT.

I wouldn't call him that. No person with a brain would. But it's "the rules".

Yet you won't see any media calling him a COVIDIOT even though he clearly is according to their very own rules. 

• Agree 7

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

He seems a nice enough old guy. However this is another example of the media plucking someone from obscurity to become a national icon.

I guess if your message coincides with what the media wants to say you'll get the media exposure. Other people that get the exposure include Rashford and Greta. Poor white girls in places like Rotherham, not so much :(

His daughter Hannah Moore perhaps deserves a bit of credit for that? She runs Maytrix Group a brand development company, so obviously knows a bit about promotion/marketing.

A snippet from the company blog last April:

We are all being rightly advised to stay home, stay safe and protect our NHS, and that is exactly what local 99-year-old Tom Moore is doing. 

Having been inspired by the amazing treatment he received and continues to receive after falling and breaking his hip in 2018, and also recovering from skin cancer of the head, he decided to try and raise some money before his 100th birthday (which is less than 4 weeks away) for our incredible national frontline and support health workers.  

https://www.maytrixgroup.com/blog/2020/04/toms-100th-birthday-walk-for-the-nhs

• Agree 3
  • Informative 8

6 hours ago, AQUAMAN said:

WHO?

I think he's that British astronaut guy the Russians brought along as cargo, maybe gave him some cress seeds to grow to keep him occupied.

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

His daughter Hannah Moore perhaps deserves a bit of credit for that? She runs Maytrix Group a brand development company, so obviously knows a bit about promotion/marketing.

Ah, thank you for making sense of why some unknown old bloke walking around his back garden raises millions in sponsorship, becomes a national celebrity, is knighted, and promoted by his old regiment.

Like Greta he is simply the nodding dog fronting a slick marketing campaign.

I'm sure he is a decent chap despite this; unlike Greta who is a mentally unstable spoilt child.

• Agree 8
  • Lol 1

19 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Is David Moore her brother or husband ? 

Either way he also runs the company. 

He has 51 appointments on companies house.

2 minutes ago, ccc said:

Is David Moore her brother or husband ? 

Either way he also runs the company. 

He has 51 appointments on companies house.

I thought it was Piers Morgan.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 3

The Generation Game
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

The Dreamliner was touted as a step-change forward as the carbon composite fuselage allowed the cabin to be pressurised at a lower altitude (can't remember the numbers. Maybe 6,000ft instead of 12,000ft?). 

Edited by The Generation Game
  • Informative 1

I had no idea how pressurised aircraft are. 8000 feet is only a couple of miles high. You usually have to piss around with carburetters, but electronic fuel injection does it all for you.