DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Removing a radiator for decorating?

Question

I feel like a proper office boy for even asking. I'm decorating a room for my eldest boy and it's wallpapered. I want that off and to paint the walls (which will undoubtedly be fucked and require plastering).

However it's got a radiator (older style no thermostatic) that needs to be removed. Youtube makes it look like a piece of piss but I've been down that route before. It's not a high pressure system though rather than a tank an expansion vessel has been installed in the loft conversion (fuck knows why they just did it and the heating still works).

What's the chances of me removing and refitting without fucking something up? 

17 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Mental Floss said:

I feel like a proper office boy for even asking. I'm decorating a room for my eldest boy and it's wallpapered. I want that off and to paint the walls (which will undoubtedly be fucked and require plastering).

However it's got a radiator (older style no thermostatic) that needs to be removed. Youtube makes it look like a piece of piss but I've been down that route before. It's not a high pressure system though rather than a tank an expansion vessel has been installed in the loft conversion (fuck knows why they just did it and the heating still works).

Leave the radiator on (don't go there) remove as much paper as you can from behind it and make the walls good with polyfilla in any cracks etc. Do a quick coat of emulsion, let dry and then hand sand smooth and apply some more polyfilla if required and patch sand smooth. Then apply two coats of emulsion and paint as far as you can get around and behind radiator. Nobody will notice and no mishaps will be risked.

7 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

Don’t listen to @Chewing Grass   Take it off and do a proper job.  Shut valves and make a note of how many turns it needed to shut each side (you need this if the system has been balanced). 

it’s better if you have two people but I’ve managed smaller rads on my own and I’m a woman, so man the fuck up. :)

slightly open one side near the valve, the rad side.   Preferably the same side as the bleed valve if you are on your own, opposite side if you have a helper. Then open bleed valve slightly and use this to regulate flow out of rad.  Don’t forget to catch water and have a couple of containers. 

once empty, then undo other side.  Lift off wall. Take out in garden and flush through.  Ptf tape needed for putting it back together.  

33 minutes ago, One percent said:

it’s better if you have two people but I’ve managed smaller rads on my own and I’m a woman,

I now declare you an honorary man.

Here is my recent effort, looks great.

20210202_141610s.thumb.jpg.0de66e3dd592e018e607e36f1d073e16.jpg

Now here is a close-up behind the rad.

20210202_141618s.thumb.jpg.038e4ebc222fbc35fe49db0073ab657f.jpg

Obviously my standards are much lower as I am a man.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I now declare you an honorary man.

Here is my recent effort, looks great.

20210202_141610s.thumb.jpg.0de66e3dd592e018e607e36f1d073e16.jpg

Now here is a close-up behind the rad.

20210202_141618s.thumb.jpg.038e4ebc222fbc35fe49db0073ab657f.jpg

Obviously my standards are much lower as I am a man.

I would be drawn to that constantly and would bloody shudder every time I looked at it.  It would slowly drive me mad.  

mind i have ocd and am a woman.  xD

Do what @One percent said.

I did one for the first time recently and it was fine..  the worst that happens is something gets wet..  So try to pull away your carpets first if you like them. 

If you have no valves you may need to drain the system..  but even that is no big deal really.. just means you will have to bleed all the radiators afterwards.  Plenty of YouTube vids out there.  Good luck! 

On 02/02/2021 at 23:25, sleepwello'nights said:

Our previous house had flexible pipes running into the radiators. It was simply a matter of lifting each radiator 25 mm, about an inch, to clear the fitting slot in the bracket and decorating behind them. 

Nice and easy to remove and return. 

I have just demolished an internal wall to extend the kitchen. It had radiators on either side. Middle of winter, (and fucking lockdown) in a house where I’m outnumbered by the opposite sex... turning the heating off for even a minute... not an option. Luckily I rerouted some pipes last year and used poly pipe. Solution: I built a jig and moved the rads a couple of meters with the system running.B08793E2-AB28-43C9-B776-2177199AE1F7.thumb.jpeg.8a831e560f47e8e05041dfa8bbb7e966.jpeg

Just like to report back on this. Decided to "man up" and do the job "properly".

Totally fucked it up and ended up with water pouring down an interior wall as the radiator valve tore away from the paper thin and totally fucked pipework. That's despite following instructions to the letter using quality grip pliers holding against the pressure of the spanner.

Finding a plumber to sort was a nightmare and not cheap either. However, at least they did a decent job...

Now wondering what else I can fuck up in the house. I hate being incompetent at these things!

2 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

Just like to report back on this. Decided to "man up" and do the job "properly".

Totally fucked it up and ended up with water pouring down an interior wall as the radiator valve tore away from the paper thin and totally fucked pipework. That's despite following instructions to the letter using quality grip pliers holding against the pressure of the spanner.

Finding a plumber to sort was a nightmare and not cheap either. However, at least they did a decent job...

Now wondering what else I can fuck up in the house. I hate being incompetent at these things!

Oops.  o.O

56 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

Now that has been sorted let me drop the bombshell. All alterations to heating circuits are notifiable works to building control via a gas safe registered installer. Nobody bothers with this these days but adding radiators, pipework alteration and new heating controls are covered by the same building regulations as a new gas boiler.

Call a pro.

On 10/02/2021 at 17:30, Bobthebuilder said:

Now that has been sorted let me drop the bombshell. All alterations to heating circuits are notifiable works to building control via a gas safe registered installer. Nobody bothers with this these days but adding radiators, pipework alteration and new heating controls are covered by the same building regulations as a new gas boiler.

Call a pro.

That’s not quite the same as temporarily removing / refitting a radiator for decorating though, is it.

Unless you are saying that non-corgi plumbers are forbidden from touching a radiator.  Which doesn’t sound likely o.O

5 hours ago, Libspero said:

That’s not quite the same as temporarily removing / refitting a radiator for decorating though, is it.

Unless you are saying that non-corgi plumbers are forbidden from touching a radiator.  Which doesn’t sound likely o.O

It's not the same as removing a rad for decorating, but if you do a good tip is to screw blanking plugs on the TRVs. Otherwise, they can open themselves when the heating/ pump over run kicks in.

I once saw a house flooded because decorators had removed rads without TRVs and the heating kicked in overnight. The boiler shook itself off the wall as it had nowhere to pump to. Mains water and gas leak, nasty stuff.

Here's a good tip for you all. When screwing the tails into rads wrap 21 turns of PTFE on the thread, yes 21 turns. It will never leak, you won't even need to check it. Also, 4 turns of PTFE on olives.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
On 10/02/2021 at 16:27, Mental Floss said:

Did you say all the necessary prayers and incantations before you started?

On 02/02/2021 at 13:30, Mental Floss said:

Zero.