DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Catalytic converter thefts

I think this is mentioned in various places but maybe deserves a thread of its own.

Mother in law had hers nicked last night (2 year old Lexus).

Cheeky bastards used a bottle Jack and angle grinder. We do at least now know that her newly installed double glazing is bloody good.

Thing is, the scumbags know it will be fixed and sat there next week, plump and ready for nicking again.

How, short of a shotgun stakeout, do you stop it happening again and again?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The newspaper article from snacr says a second hand cat converter has a value of about £60. That's what gets me with crime. The economic loss is absolutely huge. Someone has to spend over a grand

The current Mini Clubman and Mini 5 door hatch are about the same dimensions as the Panzer Mark 1 light tank used by the German army in the 1930s. So when people say modern cars are like small tanks i

There was a post from a chap on our local area Facebook group saying that a gang of four crims did his BMW 1-series last week. Apparently when he opened his front door to see what was going on one of

8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I think this is mentioned in various places but maybe deserves a thread of its own.

Cheeky bastards used a bottle Jack and angle grinder. We do at least now know that her newly installed double glazing is bloody good.

Thing is, the scumbags know it will be fixed and sat there next week, plump and ready for nicking again.

I think there's a sort of aftermarket cage you can get secured around them.

Do cars run just fine without them?

In which case why not run until a month before MOT is due and do it then?

After all we pay police to stop crime, they don't GAF about this sort of petty theft, far too busy with coivid harrasment [appropriate typo].

We're expected to buy a part and mechanic time, all plus 20% VAT [used to pay police of course] to replace. All to help the environment, society, Greta and other people in general. Isn't it time to stand up and say maggie was right after all, there is no such thing as society, fuck that I'm not cooperating.

27 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

There was one nicked a hundred metres from my parents' house last week. What they heard is that the criminals target an area and move on. They're generally professional and not usually local. It isn't likely that they'll be back soon. It is a target rich environment so no need to return to the same spot as burglars used to do to get the replacements.

10 minutes ago, BWW said:

Do cars run just fine without them?

In which case why not run until a month before MOT is due and do it then?

After all we pay police to stop crime, they don't GAF about this sort of petty theft, far too busy with coivid harrasment [appropriate typo].

We're expected to buy a part and mechanic time, all plus 20% VAT [used to pay police of course] to replace. All to help the environment, society, Greta and other people in general. Isn't it time to stand up and say maggie was right after all, there is no such thing as society, fuck that I'm not cooperating.

Because with a massive gap in the middle of the exhaust system it'll sound like a tractor.

Yes. My daughter had the Cat chopped off her Honda Jazz in the staff car park of Basingstoke hospital last summer. My other daughter got an email from Frimley hospital warning of thefts last week. Honda Jazzs are the favourite apparently. 

I would chop the hands off anybody caught stealing Cat converters. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Night vision cameras & this sort of thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theftmark-Microdots-Anti-Theft-Business-Protection/dp/B07CQKPKQ9

I know the rozzers have to catch them first, and how it works with heat, and so on...but a thought anyway..

Plod weren't in the least bit interested.

Usual thing - crime number and on your way.

21 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Including your ears.

Why the TDI badge?

will the engine start after a cat removal ? would have thought it would error

diesels tend to use base metal convertors and adblue fluid

my honda civic has the cat behind the radiator in the engine bay

Edited by ashestoashes
11 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

will the engine start after a cat removal ? would have thought it would error

diesels tend to use base metal convertors and adblue fluid

my honda civic has the cat behind the radiator in the engine bay

Diesels still have a precious metal converter, but they have to have an additional catalyst (base metal) to do nox reduction, they also need a particulate filter and an ammonia slip catalyst. Exhaust systems on diesels are pretty complex. 

3 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Diesels still have a precious metal converter, but they have to have an additional catalyst (base metal) to do nox reduction, they also need a particulate filter and an ammonia slip catalyst. Exhaust systems on diesels are pretty complex. 

is wikipedia wrong then ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Diesel_engines

Instead of precious metal-containing NO
x
 absorbers, most manufacturers selected base-metal SCR systems that use a reagent such as ammonia to reduce the NO
x
 into nitrogen. Ammonia is supplied to the catalyst system by the injection of urea into the exhaust, which then undergoes thermal decomposition and hydrolysis into ammonia. The urea solution is also referred to as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

18 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

is wikipedia wrong then ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Diesel_engines

Instead of precious metal-containing NO
x
 absorbers, most manufacturers selected base-metal SCR systems that use a reagent such as ammonia to reduce the NO
x
 into nitrogen. Ammonia is supplied to the catalyst system by the injection of urea into the exhaust, which then undergoes thermal decomposition and hydrolysis into ammonia. The urea solution is also referred to as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

Wikipedia is not wrong, but you're only looking at part of the system. 

The first catalyst is an oxidation catalyst (DOC) to convert CO to CO2 (there's probably a wiki article on this step too), this is precious metal, the next step is then SCR to deal with the NOx (the bit in the wiki article). 

In a petrol engine it's different, there is no oxygen but some hydrocarbon left in the exhaust gas so the NOx is used to oxidise the CO and hydrocarbon and no SCR is needed (look up 'three way catalyst' on wiki for this) 

Edit: here you go https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Diesel_Oxidation_Catalyst

Edited by Roger_Mellie