DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Films That Are Better Than The Book

Setting aside that the book is essentially a genre defining work of rich imagination that continues, to this day, as the essential source material for endless popular culture. I have to say I find the film version of Bram Stoker’s Dracula superior to the book. It fills in a lot of the cracks in the plot/narrative very well indeed I think. 

For those unfamiliar with the book. Basically the start is amazing and the ending is quite strong as they chase him back to the castle. There’s plenty of good stuff in the middle, like Renfield but, from where he rocks up in Whitby, presumably as another unwelcome fucking tourist, it drags and is more than a bit thin on his motivations. In the film this is filled in by the added subplot that Mina is a near reincarnation of his dead wife.

Edit to add: Never noticed before that the sandwich board @ around 2.07 is advertising Hamlet at The Lyceum theatre - Stoker worked there, in real life, as the theatre manager.

Edited by SNACR
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trainspotting. I sought out the book having enjoyed the film but it read as outline sketches for what became the film; this was that very rare event of the film having more depth and character de

Blade Runner. “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” is an OK book, that is perhaps deeper and more thought provoking, but ultimately failed to have a satisfying takeaway. The film plays with a ra

Alien and lord of the rings .I know everyone will disagree about the latter

I haven't got through a Stephen King novel, ever. His sentence structure is awful and it is packed with verbose. I am not the best judge as I am challenged by writing and grammar myself.

Perhaps that's why I don't wish to make too much effort with reading and I like the words to flow. 

Since the Shining is a great film; in my case, anyway, it's got to be better than the book.

Edited by crashmonitor

Blade Runner. “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” is an OK book, that is perhaps deeper and more thought provoking, but ultimately failed to have a satisfying takeaway.

The film plays with a rather different take on “what makes life worthy of empathy”, but ultimately you feel like you witnessed something to ponder rather than just got given some hints.

Taking a slightly different angle is risky. Minority Report is a book where nothing is logically consistent and I was convinced he had written himself into a corner. Then in the final page and a half it finishes with a revelation that clears all the paradoxes brilliantly. In the film they finish with “fuck it, who cares about paradoxes”. 

Edited by Hail the Tripod
16 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I haven't got through a Stephen King novel, ever. His sentence structure is awful and it is packed with verbose. Obvs being an accountant I am not the best judge as I am challenged by writing and grammar myself.

Perhaps that's why I don't wish to make too much effort with reading and I like the words to flow. 

Since the Shining is a great film; in my case, anyway, it's got to be better than the book.

Interesting.  I've tried one or two Stephen king books in the past but could never get far in.  I think the most recent one I tried was the stand.

I think you summed it up well...I don't think I'm being lazy it's just hard to read.

Random thought just now was a trilogy of books I did get through, Justin Cronin the passage https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-passage/justin-cronin/9780752883304

Iirc the first page and the way it was written lulled me in, despite later some being quite lengthy.  I see it was made into TV series although doubt it's a better adaption.

Stephen King has written some great books. As with most authors some are poor but it's an impressive body of work. The Stand is a superb book.

Back on topic, struggling to think of an example. Books are usually better than the films. I thought the film of The Road was pretty powerfully done.

Books that dwell on the inner thoughts and feelings of the characters tend to be hard to put on film while those with set piece scenes or set piece dialogue are easier. If you watch the film the Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart and then read the book by Dashiell Hammett you will note that the film matches the book almost exactly both scene for scene and in the text of the screenplay. The Maltese Falcon is a classic in both detective fiction and as a film but there are lots of more prosaic authors whose books are enhanced by being converted to film where the editing of the screenplay, addition of visual effects and sound by cinema can enhance the original.

As a kid I much preferred Mary Poppins the film  to Mary Poppins the book.

Edited by Virgil Caine
31 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Blade Runner. “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” is an OK book, that is perhaps deeper and more thought provoking, but ultimately failed to have a satisfying takeaway.

The film plays with a rather different take on “what makes life worthy of empathy”, but ultimately you feel like you witnessed something to ponder rather than just got given some hints.

Taking a slightly different angle is risky. Minority Report is a book where nothing is logically consistent and I was convinced he had written himself into a corner. Then in the final page and a half it finishes with a revelation that clears all the paradoxes brilliantly. In the film they finish with “fuck it, who cares about paradoxes”. 

Agree with Bladerunner, I would probably. Go with minority report aswell though. 

The Godfather - good book, brilliant film.

23 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Stephen King has written some great books. As with most authors some are poor but it's an impressive body of work. The Stand is a superb book.

Back on topic, struggling to think of an example. Books are usually better than the films. I thought the film of The Road was pretty powerfully done.

I've never read 'Stand by Me', but according to the story the film adaptation was so close to King's vision that he cried after he saw it. 

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I totally agree. LotR was a fantastic piece of cinema.

Yes, I thought the same. I remember sitting around with friends when we were kids and we were of the opinion you could never make a film of it as you could never do the special effects with what we had at the time. I'm no fan of the effects laden modern films to be honest, but thought it was extremely well done in this instance.

Another book we were of the same opinion of was Arthur C Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". I would imagine it hasn't been made because American cinema audiences won't get it, which is a shame as it would make a brilliant film. A few people have tried to get it off the ground, including Morgan Freeman I think. Would have to be done well though or it would be a disaster.

Also can't believe there hasn't been an attempt at Iain Bank's "The Wasp Factory". While not a fan of remakes "Logan's Run" is ripe for the taking too, especially in our current times.

13 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Yes, I thought the same. I remember sitting around with friends when we were kids and we were of the opinion you could never make a film of it as you could never do the special effects with what we had at the time. I'm no fan of the effects laden modern films to be honest, but thought it was extremely well done in this instance.

Another book we were of the same opinion of was Arthur C Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama". I would imagine it hasn't been made because American cinema audiences won't get it, which is a shame as it would make a brilliant film. A few people have tried to get it off the ground, including Morgan Freeman I think. Would have to be done well though or it would be a disaster.

Also can't believe there hasn't been an attempt at Iain Bank's "The Wasp Factory". While not a fan of remakes "Logan's Run" is ripe for the taking too, especially in our current times.

Who will play Jenny Agutter’s snatch?

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Alien and lord of the rings .I know everyone will disagree about the latter

I loved the book as a kid, was sceptical about the films. Then saw the first one and thought, "bloody hell, they've actually matched the Gondor of my imagination."

I have them as two separate, good entities, though: book and film. Neither one better than the other, not directly comparable.