• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One percent

Imperial measures post brexit

We will never now need to know. 

The EU have never managed to shift us from our imperial measurements. Collectively we still want a pint of milk or beer.  We still want a pound of apples. 

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

WTF is a Centilitre? (CL) another french spirit measure that has been pushed on us. 

"Bring back the fluid oz"

You don't need to worry now.  I want a sixth of a gill next time I buy a spirit in the pub.  (I'm sure we have been shortchanged on this on the move to the devils measurement)

3 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

WTF is a Centilitre? (CL) another french spirit measure that has been pushed on us. 

"Bring back the fluid oz"

A non SI unit!

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

We will never now need to know. 

The EU have never managed to shift us from our imperial measurements. Collectively we still want a pint of milk or beer.  We still want a pound of apples. 

I like pounds of tits and acres of arse!

I've always used ft/ins and lb/ozs. Just could never get used to metres/cm/litres. Often both are quoted on measurements, recipes etc so no real need to change for me.

I managed to grasp decimal coins fine though, much easier. Wouldn't like to go back to the old £/s/p. Although the tanners and thrupenny's were cute.

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I've always used ft/ins and lb/ozs. Just could never get used to metres/cm/litres. Often both are quoted on measurements, recipes etc so no real need to change for me.

I managed to grasp decimal coins fine though, much easier. Wouldn't like to go back to the old £/s/p. Although the tanners and thrupenny's were cute.

Agree EE. When I think in ft/ins, lb/oz, I can conceptualise it in practical and concrete terms.  I know what an object in these measurements will look and fell like.  I can picture it.  The metric equivalent, not a clue.  Hubby runs and he talks in 10 k, 20k.  My response is to say, what's that in real measure?  xD

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree EE. When I think in ft/ins, lb/oz, I can conceptualise it in practical and concrete terms.  I know what an object in these measurements will look and fell like.  I can picture it.  The metric equivalent, not a clue.  Hubby runs and he talks in 10 k, 20k.  My response is to say, what's that in real measure?  xD

Yep, that's what I'm like. Real measures 😁

I have a battered old tape measure in my bag to assist me if anything catches my eye and only has cm measurements. 

Just now, One percent said:

English, Eu or American measure?

English, Eu or American measure?

American shoes are joke sizes! In America I'm 12 or bigger. I wonder what the women's cunt sizes are! No I don't want to think about it!

Just now, Economic Exile said:

Yep, that's what I'm like. Real measures 😁

I have a battered old tape measure in my bag to assist me if anything catches my eye and only has cm measurements. 

Yep, if I can't get the measurement in feet and inches, then I'm confused and walk away. Interestingly, material width is still in imperial. I don't understand this as the metric system has supposedly taken over.  It seems madness that the width is in imperial but when you buy it, you have to buy it in metric lengths. 

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

My foot is exactly a foot which is very handy. I conceptualize in units of 22 yards.

Are you a professional clown?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

American shoes are joke sizes! In America I'm 12 or bigger. I wonder what the women's cunt sizes are! No I don't want to think about it!

Are those measured?

Yep, if I can't get the measurement in feet and inches, then I'm confused and walk away. Interestingly, material width is still in imperial. I don't understand this as the metric system has supposedly taken over.  It seems madness that the width is in imperial but when you buy it, you have to buy it in metric lengths. 

Note the size 24 yellow shoes!

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are those measured?

One size fits all, and I know about size!

17 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I always had a soft spot for the guinea.  I can categorically state that every single horse that I've every bought has been priced in guinea, even after decimalisation.

In spite of being a fairly active campaigner for our independence from the EU, there's nothing I'd like to see more than us finally getting rid of imperial measurements for good and using 100% metric.

Just now, blobloblob said:

In spite of being a fairly active campaigner for our independence from the EU, there's nothing I'd like to see more than us finally getting rid of imperial measurements for good and using 100% metric.

Noooooo we need to reintroduce it and stop persecuting all those greengrocers who insist on still,selling in imperial.  

1 minute ago, blobloblob said:

It's what we do in physics, but not at the builder's merchant!

Noooooo we need to reintroduce it and stop persecuting all those greengrocers who insist on still,selling in imperial.  

Shouldn't be illegal to advertise imperial alongside metric. Should be illegal not to advertise metric.

3 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Metric I like but SI can do one.  

Who want to put 250,000 pascals in their tyres?