• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Harvey

Apparently the US is about to be hit by a giant rabbit - the biggest giant rabbit to hit Texas since giant rabbits began hitting America.

People have been warned not to do anything... but too get out.... and not to stay... but also to stay indoors and not do anything stupid... So we probably need a thread for all the stupid things that probably will be done in the next 24 hours.

Those pesky experts anticipate 20 inches of rain in Houston and people across Texas have been warned to stay away from flooded areas due to all the alligators that will think there is a special on.

In all seriousness, it looks bad. They say it will be worse than Katrina in 2006. Loads of people died then. Many more lost their homes. It is estimated that 700,000 animals died during that storm.

Anyhow, here is the culprit:

harvey.jpg

There's always one:

hurricane-harvey-02-ap-jc-170825_12x5_99

Seen loads of videos on US construction, lots of mentions about houses and other buildings being built to "code", hurricane ties, min requirement for structural  timber etc etc. Shock, stick built houses with tin clad roofs fall apart when exposed to high winds.

They'll be replaced with exactly the same construction with the same code. There's a parable/story in there somewhere.

I've been in a few houses in the SE US and IMO they're not built to last forever; lots of structural wood in a humid climate.  I've seen several big plots where there is one house mouldering away at one end, covered in vines, and a brand new one replacing it at the other end of the plot.

It makes sense where land is plentiful and you can do this; build a house that will be absolutely great to live in for thirty or forty years then when it starts needing serious work build another next to it and let it fall down.

This is doubly so in a hurricane state as when the hurricane sweeps in you take the insurance and build a new one.

It's not a sign of poverty merely a different attitude: houses in general aren't forever or the vast accumulations of wealth that they are in much of the UK.  I've heard the Chinese are similar and would always prefer something brand new if flimsy to something solid but second hand.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've been in a few houses in the SE US and IMO they're not built to last forever; lots of structural wood in a humid climate.  I've seen several big plots where there is one house mouldering away at one end, covered in vines, and a brand new one replacing it at the other end of the plot.

It makes sense where land is plentiful and you can do this; build a house that will be absolutely great to live in for thirty or forty years then when it starts needing serious work build another next to it and let it fall down.

This is doubly so in a hurricane state as when the hurricane sweeps in you take the insurance and build a new one.

It's not a sign of poverty merely a different attitude: houses in general aren't forever or the vast accumulations of wealth that they are in much of the UK.  I've heard the Chinese are similar and would always prefer something brand new if flimsy to something solid but second hand.

I can see some sense in this, but building is not cheap, ok I suppose if insurance covered but you have to have the proper cover and that will bump up premiums, unless of course you get taken out by the storm yourself. From what I've seen reported the Chinese plain just don't bother looking after anything and maintenance/upkeep don't come into the equation - which reinforces the buy new attitude. Investors will buy an apartment shell - literally just bare concrete walls and leave it that way.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

I can see some sense in this, but building is not cheap, ok I suppose if insurance covered but you have to have the proper cover and that will bump up premiums, unless of course you get taken out by the storm yourself. From what I've seen reported the Chinese plain just don't bother looking after anything and maintenance/upkeep don't come into the equation - which reinforces the buy new attitude. Investors will buy an apartment shell - literally just bare concrete walls and leave it that way.

Yes, I don't think I'd like having Chinese neighbours.

In the poorer places in the US, which I would call villages but it sounds too twee, they put big mobile homes on the lots ?$20k and again live in them until they break and buy another one.  That's probably $1k a year housing costs and the big mobile homes are pretty decent to live in.

Tbh, technology is moving on fairly quickly and it type of makes sense to replace houses every 30 years. Windows from 30 years ago are fairly rubbish never mind windows from 100 years ago.

In the Scottish islands you see brand spanking new bungalows next to derelict old stone built cottages.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, technology is moving on fairly quickly and it type of makes sense to replace houses every 30 years. Windows from 30 years ago are fairly rubbish never mind windows from 100 years ago.

In the Scottish islands you see brand spanking new bungalows next to derelict old stone built cottages.

Agreed.  If I was starting with an empty plot I might well have done just that.

The modular construction techniques where you can specify your house like you spec a kitchen and it all turns up and gets bolted together looks like the way ahead but for some reason this currently costs more than a traditional build and the results and longevity are not as good.

I'm sure in time the cost will come down so that modular is much cheaper and we'll all be doing it and expecting to replace our houses every forty years.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Agreed.  If I was starting with an empty plot I might well have done just that.

The modular construction techniques where you can specify your house like you spec a kitchen and it all turns up and gets bolted together looks like the way ahead but for some reason this currently costs more than a traditional build and the results and longevity are not as good.

I'm sure in time the cost will come down so that modular is much cheaper and we'll all be doing it and expecting to replace our houses every forty years.

I'm literally looking at a hotel that was built in a few months due to modular construction. Building the components of a hotel in a nice warm factory instead of out on site (where work gets rained off) are immense.

I think the main thing holding back modular houses is that mortgage lenders might not lend on them... Without the critical mass prices won't come down.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

I'm literally looking at a hotel that was built in a few months due to modular construction. Building the components of a hotel in a nice warm factory instead of out on site (where work gets rained off) are immense.

I think the main thing holding back modular houses is that mortgage lenders might not lend on them... Without the critical mass prices won't come down.

Because the previous batch of modulars were poorly made, didn't fit together and weren't completely bolted as they should have been. Meant huge damp and structural issues.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I don't think I'd like having Chinese neighbours.

In the poorer places in the US, which I would call villages but it sounds too twee, they put big mobile homes on the lots ?$20k and again live in them until they break and buy another one.  That's probably $1k a year housing costs and the big mobile homes are pretty decent to live in.

The japanese don't like second-hand stuff, including houses. It's bad feng shui. And in an earthquake zone, they regard buildings as ephemeral.

Best comment on there: I see the mayor of one town in the eye of the storm has instructed those who stayed --ignoring explicit instructions to leave --to write their social security numbers and names on their forearms. On the one hand, this may seem like the kind of theatrics designed to incite fear and hype a situation, a dolefully wrong note in a crisis (and I can see this); on the other, maybe saying it this forcefully will bring home the foolishness of second guessing catastrophe planning and prompt those still in areas where it's safe to evacuate to do so.

ANd it's true http://thehill.com/homenews/348030-texas-mayor-tells-those-not-evacuating-to-write-names-social-security-numbers-on

I watched some of the storm chases last night doing live streams from the area - mostly pitch black screens with people shouting how awful everything was. They could have been in a broom cupboard for all I knew.

At one point a bloke with a huge lorry pulled up with a delivery for Walmart seemingly oblivious that a massive hurricane was raging all around him.

20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I watched some of the storm chases last night doing live streams from the area - mostly pitch black screens with people shouting how awful everything was. They could have been in a broom cupboard for all I knew.

At one point a bloke with a huge lorry pulled up with a delivery for Walmart seemingly oblivious that a massive hurricane was raging all around him.

I love people like that!  There was a tanker driver who ignored the biblical flow of water coming down the hill at Coverack last month to complete his round.

Mind, these people are excellent drivers.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I love people like that!  There was a tanker driver who ignored the biblical flow of water coming down the hill at Coverack last month to complete his round.

Mind, these people are excellent drivers.

It was quite hilarious actually. For about 2 hours all these TV weather people, in wet weather gear, had been doing their bits to camera telling us how hard it was to stand up, holding up bits of paper to show us how strong the wind was - which promptly fell to the floor when they let them go - and then this lorry driver turns up wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

They told him that he was in the eye of the storm and the wall of the storm, with 140mph winds were just 2 minutes away, and he looked at them:

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

55 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

What did you say?

A couple:

Trump sows the seeds of this with his deliberate destruction of the environment. His regime effectively imposes climate change on the entire world, why should we grieve when part of it bites back on the ignorant fools that 'elected' him?

AND

It's a real shame that this website has become a haven for Trump apologists. They should be roundly condemned.

Comments like "oh, he has only been in power 8-months" are contemptible. It is clear that his chaotic policies will not only cause more and more extreme weather events, but his corrupt junta's response will cause death and ethnic cleansing, as he will surely target the poor neighborhoods, where the ethnic minorities are forced to live, with zero response, whilst posting National Guardsmen outside the mansions of the white supremacists to avoid theft of drinking water and that kind of thing.

And YES, there is an irony that the HQ of modern Nazism, that enabled Trump to seize power last year is the first to be hit by nature as a proverbial karmic strike against this freak of nature, TRUMP!

Number of loons cheering on my sentiments speaks volumes!

26 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

A couple:

Trump sows the seeds of this with his deliberate destruction of the environment. His regime effectively imposes climate change on the entire world, why should we grieve when part of it bites back on the ignorant fools that 'elected' him?

We can't save the planet until people are prepared to switch off the heating and stop flying. 

9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We can't save the planet until people are prepared to switch off the heating and stop flying. 

This^^^

im fed up of being told to recycle, being charged for driving my car, been made to feel guilty when at the same time they are expanding airports. 

I cant remember the exact figures but something like one person on a flight is equal to a years  driving 

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Yes, I know. But I love turning every subject at the Graun into an insane rant against Trump to get them throthing at the mouth!