DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Online Sales Tax

spunko

Will Rishi Sunak have the balls to do this? I think not. Although it will likely be a vote winner, most of the corporates that will be affected have already positioned their yesmen very well.

Seems that not a single day goes by, that I don't hear about an ex Google/Amazon/Ebay director or some such, marrying an MP. :CryBaby:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-9235837/Shares-Asos-Boohoo-tumble-amid-talks-possible-Amazon-tax.html

Most of the affected names in that article are rapacious slave driver outfits run by dingdings and propped up by tax credits.

Whatever they do, it won’t affect ordinary people. They will not use the revenue to improve services, and will nore than likely use it to fund the importation of more people, social housing everywhere and free money and stuff for the unemployable. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Whatever they do, it won’t affect ordinary people. They will not use the revenue to improve services, and will nore than likely use it to fund the importation of more people, social housing everywhere and free money and stuff for the unemployable. 

This is true, but it will at least give a small bit of breathing space to the smaller players whose revenue is £1m or less.

It'll carry on as is, until shops merely exist to pick up/return whatever you've ordered online. No doubt there will be talk of going after them but that's been going on for sometime.

One of the reasons for lockdown seems to be to destroy small business, to the benefit of global corporations, taxing them wont assist in this transfer.

6 minutes ago, Hancock said:

It'll carry on as is, until shops merely exist to pick up/return whatever you've ordered online. No doubt there will be talk of going after them but that's been going on for sometime.

One of the reasons for lockdown seems to be to destroy small business, to the benefit of global corporations, taxing them wont assist in this transfer.

Yes, I noticed Wetherspoons have put aside a fighting fund to buy up any closed down pubs that they find attractive.

Primark "sews up" the clothing sector.

Supermarkets crush the small food retailer.

This is why shares have been going up despite people going out of business left right and centre: the small guy or gal is being pushed out for good.

I find it odd that so many are championing this.

Tescos seem to be a front runner. How about we add £1 per pint of milk sold in shops so that we can protect our struggling milkman?

It is amazing to me that people are demanding inflationary prices.

Odd world.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I noticed Wetherspoons have put aside a fighting fund to buy up any closed down pubs that they find attractive.

This is why shares have been going up despite people going out of business left right and centre: the small guy or gal is being pushed out for good.

The small companies dont have shares. So the stockmarket isnt connected to the small businesses at all. As it doesnt affect the headline ftse or s and p, they can be thrown under the bus without a second thought. 

Won't make any difference. It certainly won't save the high street.

Do they really think 50p more cost on my Amazon order is going to make me want to bother going out of the house?

Yadda yadda yadda
11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Tescos seem to be a front runner. How about we add £1 per pint of milk sold in shops so that we can protect our struggling milkman?

Odd world.

Amazon are doing fresh food delivery now. They haven't the range of Tescos, yet, but they are competition. Only available in some cities so far but if Tescos pay tax and Amazon don't they're going to lose market share.

There should be a level playing field for tax, ideally at a lower rate. Amazon should be taxed in the UK on all UK sales. Otherwise all tax will end up being paid by PAYE plebs. Which means me.

3 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Amazon are doing fresh food delivery now. They haven't the range of Tescos, yet, but they are competition. Only available in some cities so far but if Tescos pay tax and Amazon don't they're going to lose market share.

There should be a level playing field for tax, ideally at a lower rate. Amazon should be taxed in the UK on all UK sales. Otherwise all tax will end up being paid by PAYE plebs. Which means me.

But that doesn't answer the issue.

Should I get an online sales surcharge for my Tesco delivery, or is it just tax anyone that isn't Tesco?

Yadda yadda yadda
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

But that doesn't answer the issue.

Should I get an online sales surcharge for my Tesco delivery, or is it just tax anyone that isn't Tesco?

Online sales tax on all online transactions would be because they cannot tax Amazon et al on profits due to transfer pricing, offshore invoicing, etc.

Tesco would probably argue that it should only apply to Vatable goods so they could avoid most of it. Can't have tampons taxed now, can we?

It would have rather delicious EU import implications too. The people moaning that the coat they ordered from an EU website attracts VAT and duty would have another add on to get irate about.

I would rather Amazon was taxed on profits but this might be the best way to do it.

Another hilarious feature would be if pub apps had to charge for an online transaction fee. Might need to be a delivery tax instead.

26 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Might need to be a delivery tax instead.

That would make more sense, and maybe get people pooling orders, or delivery companies sharing*

*That already happens here. Only DPD and DHL have their own vehicles. Everyone else delivers in to Wight couriers, and even then they often share drivers and vans.

It isn't unusual to get my DPD driver turn up in a DHL van delivering something from both of them plus Amazon and FedEx.

Yadda yadda yadda
49 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

What if somebody's having tampons delivered. It's a new tampon tax!

etc.

xD

Just in time delivery is a bloody difficult service to get right. Needs to be paid for.

On 08/02/2021 at 19:19, Wight Flight said:

Odd world.

Remember when Tesco were driving out all the small businesses by buying up the premises and making the rents unaffordable overnight? Sweet karma...

On 08/02/2021 at 14:58, Frank Hovis said:

I had a conversation with an acquaintance who is a commercial real estate site manager tonight. He mentioned that business was booming and his main clients are the supermarkets, namely Tesco.

You have to have some confidence to make these long term capital investments and it seems to me to echo the posts already made here. Supermarkets will not only crush the small food retailers but potentially other retailers like clothing who currently are closed and may go out of business eventually should these lockdowns continue.

stop_the_craziness
45 minutes ago, moneyscam said:

Supermarkets will not only crush the small food retailers but potentially other retailers like clothing who currently are closed and may go out of business eventually should these lockdowns continue.

I don't normally go to the small-village-sized supermarkets, but I ended up in one on Monday.  As I wandered through the aisles of clothes, shoes, books, technology, cooking implements, bathroom accessories, toys, small electricals it suddenly felt incredibly odd that all these "non essential" items were just there for the taking when other shops selling the exact same items were closed.

And the crazy centre aisles of wonder in Aldi and Lidl are just a whole other level of non-essential :D

The thing in Wales where they roped off the non-food sections in supermarkets was bonkers, but in a funny kind of way it was level-playing-field bonkers.  

On 08/02/2021 at 19:28, Errol said:

Won't make any difference. It certainly won't save the high street.

Do they really think 50p more cost on my Amazon order is going to make me want to bother going out of the house?

Will it fuck 

9 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I don't normally go to the small-village-sized supermarkets, but I ended up in one on Monday.  As I wandered through the aisles of clothes, shoes, books, technology, cooking implements, bathroom accessories, toys, small electricals it suddenly felt incredibly odd that all these "non essential" items were just there for the taking when other shops selling the exact same items were closed.

And the crazy centre aisles of wonder in Aldi and Lidl are just a whole other level of non-essential :D

The thing in Wales where they roped off the non-food sections in supermarkets was bonkers, but in a funny kind of way it was level-playing-field bonkers.  

At least the actions in Wales were logically consistent and fair to the retailers forced to close down.

And you would have thought given we're supposed to be dealing with an airborne virus it would be prudent to spread a given fixed amount of shoppers over several hundred or thousand stores rather than concentrating them all in a few supermarkets.

16 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Supermarkets are non-essential. Go to the local shops instead. The policy to close most local shops and force everyone into a few regional supermarkets is typical arse-about-face government mismanagement of covid.

If it isn't big business driving their plans it seems to be having the same effect. What a coincidence.

On 09/02/2021 at 23:36, stop_the_craziness said:

^ agreed. I spend a lot of time in Wales, when I was there just before Xmas the supermarkets felt surreal O.o 

A67A4B9C-01E1-49C8-AB23-25BB76EC27F4.jpeg

Archived