DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

We found a wee bird lying in the snow, so gathered it up in a scarf and took it home. Got it in the workshop now, which is sitting at 10/11 degrees, put it in a box and gave it water, bread and wild bird food seed mix. 

It was still but alive when we found it, then stood in my hand for half a minute then flew a short distance, into the sledge we had with us. I picked it up again and wrapped it in a scarf. Since having it home it's come out of the scarf and is now standing/sitting at the edge of the box, near the food and water, I don't know if it's eaten anything, been keeping it in the dark and away from the kids/cat/noises. 

Anyone know what to do next?

Ideally we'll be able to release it soon, pretty cold here still though- snow and freezing temps. I know it's probably injured or I'll, and won't make it, wanna save it though, or at least make its last day/s more bearable. 

It's a coal tit btw, a tiny wee thing.

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@ccc is the resident expert with inebriated birds..

You have two choices, which depend on your inclination: 1) If you are a mental menopausal woman you can try nursing it back to health,spendign 24h at its beck n call. 2) Wring its neck or dr

We found a wee bird lying in the snow, so gathered it up in a scarf and took it home. Got it in the workshop now, which is sitting at 10/11 degrees, put it in a box and gave it water, bread and wild b

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

We found a wee bird lying in the snow, so gathered it up in a scarf and took it home. Got it in the workshop now, which is sitting at 10/11 degrees, put it in a box and gave you t water, bread and wild bird food seed mix. 

It was still but alive when we found it, then stood in my hand for half a minute then flew a short distance, into the sledge we had with us. I picked it up again and wrapped it in a scarf. Since having BG it home it's come out of the scarf and is now standing/sitting at the edge of the box, near the food and water. 

Ideally we'll be able to release it soon, pretty cold here still though- snow and freezing temps. I know it's probably injured or I'll, and won't make it, wanna save it though, or at least make its last day/s more bearable. 

Dunno but good on you for helping the poor little thing. Here’s hoping that you save it 👍

5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

We found a wee bird lying in the snow, so gathered it up in a scarf and took it home. Got it in the workshop now, which is sitting at 10/11 degrees, put it in a box and gave it water, bread and wild bird food seed mix. 

It was still but alive when we found it, then stood in my hand for half a minute then flew a short distance, into the sledge we had with us. I picked it up again and wrapped it in a scarf. Since having it home it's come out of the scarf and is now standing/sitting at the edge of the box, near the food and water, I don't know if it's eaten anything, been keeping it in the dark and away from the kids/cat/noises. 

RSPCA.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/orphanedanimals/babybirds#:~:text=Capture and boxing baby birds&text=Don't offer food or,rehabilitator as soon as possible.

Just now, spygirl said:

You have two choices, which depend on your inclination:

1) If you are a mental menopausal woman you can try nursing it back to health,spendign 24h at its beck n call.

2) Wring its neck or drop a brick on it.

I killed a rabbit with myxomatosis once, sorta drowned/bludgeoned it with some friends.

That was when I was about 10/11yo, felt right then and does now too. This wee thing can maybe be saved though, and doesn't seem to be suffering from anything obvious, other than cold.

It was just lying in the snow at the side of the road, We've saved it from that at least.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yer but varus :

Closure of our facilities to the public

Due to the UK Government announcement - our network of animal centres, wildlife centres and charity shops must close to the public until further notice.

Although we remain committed to looking after all of the animals in our care, from 25 March no animals can be sent out on adoption or fostering. No animals can be admitted from the public, this includes wildlife.

Even though our centres are now closed to the public, our inspectors are still working hard to rescue animals in need and bring them into the safety of our care. If you need to report cruelty you can do so, as always, by calling us on 0300 1234999.

This is an incredibly difficult time for us and we appreciate your ongoing support during the Coronavirus crisis.

EVERYTHING!!!!

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yer but varus :

Closure of our facilities to the public

Due to the UK Government announcement - our network of animal centres, wildlife centres and charity shops must close to the public until further notice.

Although we remain committed to looking after all of the animals in our care, from 25 March no animals can be sent out on adoption or fostering. No animals can be admitted from the public, this includes wildlife.

Even though our centres are now closed to the public, our inspectors are still working hard to rescue animals in need and bring them into the safety of our care. If you need to report cruelty you can do so, as always, by calling us on 0300 1234999.

This is an incredibly difficult time for us and we appreciate your ongoing support during the Coronavirus crisis.

EVERYTHING!!!!

My daughters, teenagers at the time, walking the hound and came across a young fox that had clearly been hit by a car and crawled into the forest. It needed to be put out of its misery. 
daughters, on my advice phoned the RSPA. They did not want to know. Two traumatised teenagers. I gave them short shrift and they eventually agreed to come out and uthenasided it 

12 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Fully grown, so tiny coal tit. 

usual dosbods thing to do is give it to the wife/GF to pluck as a personality test

might be hungry/dehydrated/hit a window or just unwell not many of them survive a hard winter. Handling it will stress it out as they're wild birds, just hope it recovers overnight.

38 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Exactly as you have been doing and then release it in t morning...when temperatures are low in the winter most birds `walk the tightrope` every night based on their foraging success during the day...its nature.

19 minutes ago, One percent said:

My daughters, teenagers at the time, walking the hound and came across a young fox that had clearly been hit by a car and crawled into the forest. It needed to be put out of its misery. 
daughters, on my advice phoned the RSPA. They did not want to know. Two traumatised teenagers. I gave them short shrift and they eventually agreed to come out and uthenasided it 

That's terrible. But all of these bodies have been corporatised, much as has happened with orgs like the RNLI, the most recent example I can think of.

I called the RSPCA main line once at 23:00 on a Sunday evening when I found an injured swan. Very distressed and I hadn't got the faintest clue what to do, other than finsh it with a log. 10 minutes after I called them and they said "We'll find a swan man" there was an amateur volunteer in his van on the way.

Again, sign of the times.

2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

That's terrible. But all of these bodies have been corporatised, much as has happened with orgs like the RNLI, the most recent example I can think of.

I called the RSPCA main line once at 23:00 on a Sunday evening when I found an injured swan. Very distressed and I hadn't got the faintest clue what to do, other than finsh it with a log. 10 minutes after I called them and they said "We'll find a swan man" there was an amateur volunteer in his van on the way.

Again, sign of the times.

Yep. I was stunned by their attitude. Tbf, they did eventually come out and deal with the poor thing but it was the amount of effort in arguing with them that really got to me. 

18 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

usual dosbods thing to do is give it to the wife/GF to pluck as a personality test

might be hungry/dehydrated/hit a window or just unwell not many of them survive a hard winter. Handling it will stress it out as they're wild birds, just hope it recovers overnight.

It wouldn't even be a mouthful as it is, let alone if you were to start removing feathers, bones and yucky bits!

It's been moving about it a bit, looked like it was sleeping earlier but is awake again now. I've pushed another little bit of bread towards it in case it's not into the wild bird mix. 

18 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Most small birds love sunflower hearts.

£3 a bag in ASDA if arsed.

Youre going to be getting bang for the buck in the coming 2 weeks thats for sure.

Yip, something I just read recommended them, there are sunflower seeds in that mix. Need to stock up on things for our feeders soon, fat balls, peanuts and that seed mix, might go for one with sunflower hearts. 

I'm not going to Asda though, fuck that shit!

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

It wouldn't even be a mouthful as it is, let alone if you were to start removing feathers, bones and yucky bits!

It's been moving about it a bit, looked like it was sleeping earlier but is awake again now. I've pushed another little bit of bread towards it in case it's not into the wild bird mix. 

Not sure bread is the right thing?