DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why does this happen?

Windows update last week rendered my laptop pretty much unusable, grindingly slow. Finally got round to calling IT, It bod logs in remotely, everything's fine. Loads of tabs open, excel and PowerPoint fine, opening emails OK. Can't see the problem mate, call me if it happens again. So now I feel like a dick. 

As soon as they disconnect it all turns to shit again. 

There must be some Internet law or meme about this. Surely it doesn't just happen to me? 

7 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Windows update last week rendered my laptop pretty much unusable, grindingly slow. Finally got round to calling IT, It bod logs in remotely, everything's fine. Loads of tabs open, excel and PowerPoint fine, opening emails OK. Can't see the problem mate, call me if it happens again. So now I feel like a dick. 

There must be some Internet law or meme about this. Surely it doesn't just happen to me? 

Will show my ignorance here but ... has the help desk person got a faster connection which they are using when they log onto your laptop remotely?

17 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I now say to IT people at client organisations : "it's OK, you won't understand why the machines go wrong around me, just roll with it."

Latest one is an approval process in a bespoke program where the first time I approve, it rejects with an error code that has no meaning.  Reload the same query and it works fine.  Every time.  IT guy was genuinely bizarred as no one else has it, and he kept saying 'but that's not how the world should work'

:Jumping:

29 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I now say to IT people at client organisations : "it's OK, you won't understand why the machines go wrong around me, just roll with it."

Latest one is an approval process in a bespoke program where the first time I approve, it rejects with an error code that has no meaning.  Reload the same query and it works fine.  Every time.  IT guy was genuinely bizarred as no one else has it, and he kept saying 'but that's not how the world should work'

You sound like me in this regard. As a kid I was always the one with the computer where the games wouldn't load, or the TV that wouldn't tune in. 

I came to the conclusion as a child that I have some weird electromagnetic field around me that fucks up electronics. 

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

You sound like me in this regard. As a kid I was always the one with the computer where the games wouldn't load, or the TV that wouldn't tune in. 

I came to the conclusion as a child that I have some weird electromagnetic field around me that fucks up electronics. 

The Quakers will still have you, or the Amish?O.o

40 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I have to use so many tools that just brain fart through the day. Bespoke ones, in-house ones, off the shelf ones. 

When Einstein came up with his "insanity" quote, he hadn't worked in this role. I positively expect different results every time I do the same thing. 

13 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

My wife has this. Most recently I bought her some earbuds, which she was very happy with. A week later "they're buzzing in the right side", so I send them back for a replacement pair. A few weeks later, "these are shit quality, they've gone the same way as the last pair". She was right, they were crackling. This time I couldn't face sending them back so just got her different ones. Some time later, out of interest, I tried them to see how bad the buzzing/crackling was, and they're absolutely fine, been using them no problems at all 9_9

Edited by LC1
Speeling
15 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

At the risk of derailing my own thread, do you have any stories where you don't win?

Actually, don't answer that. xD

But I will

I try not to get into situations where I don't win.

I had a horse once where we came to a mutual agreement about how we could co-exist. Its name was Cut Throat........

But re my IT example, I wouldn't turn up to a place to do something and for it not to work or not be able to get it to work, I wouldn't survive that way. So to be told "what you want to do won't work on our system" is a bit odd, a bit ignorant to be frank. Why would I turn up to fail?

Edited by Hopeful
Just now, LC1 said:

My wife has this. Most recently I bought her some earbuds, which she was very happy with. A week later "they're buzzing in the right side", so I send them back for a replacement pair. A few weeks later, these are shit quality, they've gone the same way as the last pair. She was right, they were crackling. This time I couldn't face sending them back so just got her different ones. Some time later, out of interest, I tried them to see how bad the buzzing/crackling was, and they're absolutely fine, been using them non problems at all 9_9

Divorce the fem-bot.

12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Have you ever thought about a career in product testing?

"can fuck things up when others can't" is a prized skill when people want to design foolproof systems!

I don't know that people do these days, mind :(

1 minute ago, apples said:

"can fuck things up when others can't" is a prized skill when people want to design foolproof systems!

since mass immigration, the competition for those jobs in the UK is off the scale....

1 minute ago, apples said:

Unfortunately not. Everything is just released and then fixed on the fly, through the multi-million customers QA testers. 

5 hours ago, apples said:

Nothings foolproof, because fools are just too fucking ingenious.

Windows is shit.

I have a Win10 laptop for client access.

Every 5 boots it fails to start up the USB and bluetooth subsystem so my mouse and keyboard dont work.

Usually takes several reboots for the problem to clear.

Stuff with speed always come down to some virus checker eating all the memory andor CPU.

Im awaiting a VPN server to be installed that I can use with linux.

6 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I came to the conclusion as a child that I have some weird electromagnetic field around me that fucks up electronics

I'm utterly convinced this is me too, anything with a microchip in it invariably has a habit of malfunctioning whenever I'm near it, even tills in shops!