DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Aldification of British Society

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's certainly changing - fifty years ago a man with no formal training or qualifications could have a well paid white collar job such as a bank manager or schoolmaster, and afford to buy a nice subur

The money goes to the top 1%; the gulf between the haves and have-nots is now like the grand canyon and includes a sizable chunk (if not an actual majority) of the so-called middle class. Eventually t

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56012719

Apologies for the second pravda link of the day. It seems that another heritage supermarket is attempting to compete with Aldi on price, albeit on a limited range of goods. To me this is one indication of the impoverishment of Britain. I want to live in a society where Waitrose and Harrods are expanding and Tesco and Sainsbury's are competing on quality not price. Not because I'm a snob but because this would indicate growing wealth.

The country gets richer yet the people get poorer. Where does all the money go?

I quite like lidl. It’s like shopping with the desperate but it’s much cheaper than Sainsbury’s.  

with the mask and all, you don’t even have to engage. 

Aldi and Lidl have a business model that works; one major facet of it is having a limited range of stock which means that suppliers are lower in number and distribution is quicker and easier with lower wastage.

Tesco tried to compete with "Jack's" but the problem with Tesco is that for your lower price you get a noticeably lower quality.  Tesco basics range brings a new depth of degradation to poverty.

Sainsbury's looks to be trying to copy the Aldi / Lidl "core goods" model within their supermarket which may mean lower prices without lower quality.  I'm actually surprised that nobody has gone the whole hog and partitioned their supermarkets which would make as most people will supplement their Lidl / Aldi shopping with particular brands from one of the normal supermarkets.  Partitioning is a good way to capture both spends.

Also within the article was this interesting snippet.  Whilst I'm not surprised that convenience stores with their higher prices are most profitable I am surprised that online shopping is least profitable; I had assumed that delivery charges were set to at least cover costs. 

Mr Roberts has said that that the pandemic has led to customers switching from its most profitable channel - convenience stores - to its least profitable - online shopping.

Supermarkets make less money out of online shopping because of delivery and higher staffing costs.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aldi and Lidl have a business model that works; one major facet of it is having a limited range of stock which means that suppliers are lower in number and distribution is quicker and easier with lower wastage.

Tesco tried to compete with "Jack's" but the problem with Tesco is that for your lower price you get a noticeably lower quality.  Tesco basics range brings a new depth of degradation to poverty.

Sainsbury's looks to be trying to copy the Aldi / Lidl "core goods" model within their supermarket which may mean lower prices without lower quality.  I'm actually surprised that nobody has gone the whole hog and partitioned their supermarkets which would make as most people will supplement their Lidl / Aldi shopping with particular brands from one of the normal supermarkets.  Partitioning is a good way to capture both spends.

Also within the article was this interesting snippet.  Whilst I'm not surprised that convenience stores with their higher prices are most profitable I am surprised that online shopping is least profitable; I had assumed that delivery charges were set to at least cover costs. 

Mr Roberts has said that that the pandemic has led to customers switching from its most profitable channel - convenience stores - to its least profitable - online shopping.

Supermarkets make less money out of online shopping because of delivery and higher staffing costs.

Go long $UAVS

Any idea why the supermarkets seem to have dropped their economy/basics ranges in favour of fake brands like TE Stockwells (Tesco basics) and Hubbard's Foodstores (Sainsbury's).

Is it to make it more difficult for innumerate people to pick out the cheap stuff?

Edited by Austin Allegro
Just now, Austin Allegro said:

Any idea why the supermarkets seem to have dropped their economy/basics ranges in favour of fake brands like TE Stockwells (Tesco basics) and Hubbard's Foodstores (Sainsbury's).

Is it to make it more difficult for people to pick out the cheap stuff?

branding is the thing they think sells it.

MCBuggery's Farm sounds better than Made in a factory in Scunthorpe from the tears of migrant children.

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

Is it to make it more difficult for innumerate people to pick out the cheap stuff?

Possibly to make it look less cheap?

I remember years ago being behind a bloke in Tesco who unloaded from his hand basket Tesco Basics product after Tesco Basics product. 

The uniformity of design - white with blue stripes - of all his purchases on the belt screamed "miser" even to me who always seeks value in their purchases.

The problem with Tesco Basics, for the few products I tried, was that there was no value at all in them. 

They were cheap for the simple reason that they were lower quality.

Possibly to make it look less cheap?

I remember years ago being behind a bloke in Tesco who unloaded from his hand basket Tesco Basics product after Tesco Basics product. 

The uniformity of design - white with blue stripes - of all his purchases on the belt screamed "miser" even to me who always seeks value in their purchases.

The problem with Tesco Basics, for the few products I tried, was that there was no value at all in them. 

They were cheap for the simple reason that they were lower quality.

Yes could be that. I once dated a Moldavian girl who said she always recognised other eastern Europeans in supermarkets because their trollies were 'all blue and white things'.

They're not necessarily lower quality though. A buyer for one of the big stores told me that some lines are from the same factory as the branded goods, and most of the fruit/veg are sold more cheaply because they are ugly or relatively smaller.

6 minutes ago, Jonty Willis the Third said:

The money goes to the top 1%; the gulf between the haves and have-nots is now like the grand canyon and includes a sizable chunk (if not an actual majority) of the so-called middle class. Eventually there will be simply the super rich and the poverty stricken as the two main societal groups.

This is the true endgame of globalisation, and the west has been on the path of this toxic doctrine for so long that we will all be living in a scenario similar to the film 'Elysium' if urgent action is not taken.

there will be several stages first before it goes that way ; initially the public sector workers will be a sub class of the "rich" as they are protected by the state in order for the state to function (public sector index linked wages and pensions, achieved through increasing taxes on the non index linked private sector). I think we are at that stage now.

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Yes could be that. I once dated a Moldavian girl who said she always recognised other eastern Europeans in supermarkets because their trollies were 'all blue and white things'.

They're not necessarily lower quality though. A buyer for one of the big stores told me that some lines are from the same factory as the branded goods, and most of the fruit/veg are sold more cheaply because they are ugly or relatively smaller.

I once worked in a veg packing factory for a few day as a student back in the mid nineties. We were running exactly the same stuff through the production line, just periodically changing the bag rolls for all the various brands of all the major household names.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

as a connoisseur of the mushy pea I can assure Her Majesty of One Percent that making your own from dried is vastly superior and cheaper lb4lb than anything in a tin.

Of course but I always forget to put the bloody things into soak the night before. For Christmas dinner, i always make them from a box. Any other time, a tin for about 20 pence will do. 

15 minutes ago, Jonty Willis the Third said:

The money goes to the top 1%; the gulf between the haves and have-nots is now like the grand canyon and includes a sizable chunk (if not an actual majority) of the so-called middle class. Eventually there will be simply the super rich and the poverty stricken as the two main societal groups.

This is the true endgame of globalisation, and the west has been on the path of this toxic doctrine for so long that we will all be living in a scenario similar to the film 'Elysium' if urgent action is not taken.

The top 1% may be too broad a measure.

This chart from 2016 shows the criterion for being in that top 1% as having about £1.3m of assets including your house.

That's probably half of the owner occupiers in centralish London.

household_wealth.jpg

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8239

The top 1% may be too broad a measure.

This chart from 2016 shows the criterion for being in that top 1% as having about £1.3m of assets including your house.

That's probably half of the owner occupiers in centralish London.

household_wealth.jpg

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/8239

That's me fucked as HRH does nothing more useful than looking after her demented mother and a grandchild, so everything is halved.

I'm a 20%er now.

I need a woman who would double my wealth.

54 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56012719

Apologies for the second pravda link of the day. It seems that another heritage supermarket is attempting to compete with Aldi on price, albeit on a limited range of goods. To me this is one indication of the impoverishment of Britain. I want to live in a society where Waitrose and Harrods are expanding and Tesco and Sainsbury's are competing on quality not price. Not because I'm a snob but because this would indicate growing wealth.

The country gets richer yet the people get poorer. Where does all the money go?

Get my weekly fillet steaks from there, and im posh.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I once bought a fillet steak from lidl. When i got it home, they had sold me a lump of gristle. I’ve not touched their meat since 

Same thing happened to me once, but 5 minutes on each side at high temp, then leave it for a few mins and its perfection.

As good as M & S but half the price.

2 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Same thing happened to me once, but 5 minutes on each side at high temp, then leave it for a few mins and its perfection.

As good as M & S but half the price.

Nope, this was inedible.  Way to cook fillet is brown quickly on all sides in very hot pan. Transfer to a really hot oven for about 4 minutes. Rest. Eat. Superb every time.