DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Card games or similar ideas

I've got a mate living with me for a few days, while his house sale is sorted out. I'm worried we're going to get sick of each other and/or bored. Anyone got any suggestions please for decent board or card games for 2 players (men, mid 30s)? Had a look on Amazon and there's just loads of quirky "card games" for hen parties i.e. "take your knickers off and scream!" - fuck that.

We've previously done card games like Golf, Rummy etc. I never really 'got' poker but bought a Texas Hold 'Em thing from Amazon so going to give that a go, maybe.

In terms of board games I love Monopoly and that's about it. I'm sure there are loads of decent 2 player ones out there.

Edited by spunko
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Canasta, a favourite of the Geography teacher at A-Level, many an hour spent playing it during lessons in 1980/81. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canasta Cribbage, an old geezer staying at my

I thought Top Trumps but a quick look on Amazon does not show the motor cars, warships, aircraft and similar of my childhood. Plenty of Disney ones though. I found @spunko a decent colouring book

Well if you're looking for a very simple game for two players, I may have the solution...     XYY

Posted Images

Canasta, a favourite of the Geography teacher at A-Level, many an hour spent playing it during lessons in 1980/81.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canasta

Cribbage, an old geezer staying at my grans taught me this one, a superb two player game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage

Edited by Chewing Grass

I like 2 player version of King Domino. You can try playing online version at http://boardgamearena.com

Free to play but may need to wait for couple of minutes if you don't pay their monthly fee. 

Another ok 2 player games;

Dominion (deck building card game) 

Carcassonne (a bit luck dependant) 

Agricola (good but hard to come back from behind later in the game) 

Splendour

Catan (classic, mainly luck but it's fun) 

Edited by Bear Hug
19 minutes ago, spunko said:

I've got a mate living with me for a few days, while his house sale is sorted out. I'm worried we're going to get sick of each other and/or bored. Anyone got any suggestions please for decent board or card games for 2 players (men, mid 30s)? Had a look on Amazon and there's just loads of quirky "card games" for hen parties i.e. "take your knickers off and scream!" - fuck that.

We've previously done card games like Golf, Rummy etc. I never really 'got' poker but bought a Texas Hold 'Em thing from Amazon so going to give that a go, maybe.

In terms of board games I love Monopoly and that's about it. I'm sure there are loads of decent 2 player ones out there.

Cribbage

Dominoes - fekking good when played to win

Backgammon

Mahjong

17 minutes ago, spunko said:

I know it's a computer (well phone) game, but SpaceTeam is excellent, albeit rather stressful. Here's a randomly selected video showing what it is :

I think there's a boardgame of it too.

As far as card games ames, what about hearts, or trumps? Risk is a good boardgame too.

35 minutes ago, spunko said:

Lost Cities:

https://travellingman.com/products/lost-cities-the-card-game?variant=33361305075771&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2I3677rh7gIVdoBQBh2NZQ_lEAQYASABEgL_qvD_BwE

2 player, me and my wife must have done about 50 games since we got it at Christmas. I'd highly recommend it, also gets good reviews on all the board game websites. 

I'd also recommend Spledor, really good as a 2 player game as there's not much luck in it and done in 20-30 minutes. 

25 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I like 2 player version of King Domino. You can try playing online version at http://boardgamearena.com

Free to play but may need to wait for couple of minutes if you don't pay their monthly fee. 

Another ok 2 player games;

Dominion (deck building card game) 

Carcassonne (a bit luck dependant) 

Agricola (good but hard to come back from behind later in the game) 

Splendour

Catan (classic, mainly luck but it's fun) 

Catan doesn't work 2 player, it's minimum 3. 

37 minutes ago, spunko said:

I thought Top Trumps but a quick look on Amazon does not show the motor cars, warships, aircraft and similar of my childhood. Plenty of Disney ones though.

I found @spunko a decent colouring book though.

51Af9TjjJUL._AC_SY780_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humping-Animals-Adult-Coloring-Book/dp/1728837618/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=top+trump+men&qid=1613033978&sr=8-8

Why would this come up alongside Disney Top Trumps in a search.

You could both learn to play Hnefatafl together, which is what we used to play in 'the UK area' before that interloper 'Chess' invaded from the east a few years back (well, 12th century). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

The advantage over chess should be that you'd both be learners and so you'd not have the problem of one being much better than the other.  It is also a better story of 'stuff wot we did'.

There are regional variations depending on which bit of 'Northern Europe' you're from.

For 2 player card games try cribbage or kalooki. Poker is shit with just 2 people.

Chess is the undisputed king of 2 player board games for a reason. Although Stratego is very good too.

Maybe a SNES emulator Raspberry Pi, for hours of retro MarioCart?

Edit to add: if only you had done your pub in a shed idea, you could have just drank beer and played pool. 

Edited by Hail the Tripod

I like 'ticket to ride' board game.  Only played online but works fine for 2.... It's easy and quick to play online although not sure about board, have heard one guy I know who likes board games say he was a bit non plussed with although that may be the game itself rather than format.