DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone else got one? I have to admit I think they are awesome. If you spill something on it you just wipe it off. You cant say that after spilling a curry on a cloth sofa....

I'd also love a wood floor to replace my cream carpet....

A back seat from a disused Daimler should suit you.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone else got one? I have to admit I think they are awesome. If you spill something on it you just wipe it off. You cant say that after spilling a curry on a cloth sofa....

Had a Harvey's pair for years, vey nicely made and durable. now replaced with another hand down pair, not as good leather. Only issue for us is can be cold in winter, use throws. 

Probably the best piece of furniture I ever bought was a leather corner sofa from IKEA, of all places.*

Some 13 years ago we went there to buy a regular, cloth sofa with a budget of around £300 (fuck off, that was a lot of money for a couple of 25yos in PL). On our way we saw that leather one, sat on it just for kicks and by the time we got up, our minds had already been made up. A healthy £1000 it was, but money well spent.

We never paid any attention to proper maintenance, waxing, oiling or whatever else you're supposed to do it with, it stayed fully exposed to sunlight, with two kids eating, playing, fighting and painting on it, I even spilled dry alcohol on it on one occasion, and it's still going strong. It looks worn in places, but the leather is still as soft as it ever was, no cracks or punctures, and is still super comfy. Cannot recommend highly enough.

* PAX corner wardrobe is also in contention, it survived 3 house moves and continues its life as 2 bookcases and a shelving for clothes.

Edited by kibuc
15 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

My problem historically has been toffee popcorn on the carpet...

After having to, as a child, sit wearing shorts on the vinyl seats of cars which were freezing in the winter and made your legs sweat in the summer I would not swap comfort for durability.  No leather seats for me either in the lounge or a car.

My two settees came with the house and with a spare, barely used, set of covers with which I replaced the visibly-wearing original covers a few months ago. It is like having a new settee.

The covers can be washed and last a good ten years or more.  I would guess that the settees are twenty years old and I am confident of getting another ten years out of them before they start to look worn.

At which point I will be looking to replace them with identical settees.   

Historically there were three types of sofa covering.

• Something for poor people.  Oh, but these didn't exist and poor people sat on wooden seats.
  • Leather sofa/seats -- these were for when the men of the big house were out hunting etc.  So you'd find them in a hunting lodge, etc.
  • Fabric sofa/seats -- these were 'best' and for normal use for the gentlemen and ladies of the house.

We now consider leather to be the 'fancy' option, and fabric for cheap.  I think this is because we use cheap fabrics that you'd never have used for a sofa historically (as they'd wear too rapidly wrt the effort required to make the sofa), whereas there's a minimum price for leather and so they can't be made that cheap.

[you still see this in cars -- truly fancy cars have cloth seats]

Edited by dgul
5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I prefer 'settee' myself but I think people started using 'sofa' as it was posher, more snobbish. Margot of 'The Good Life' have a party and inviting people to sit on her sofa.

https://www.sofa.com/inspiration-corner/why-do-we-call-it-a-sofa/

A nice read ^

Always settee. With a matching orange and black 'poofee'. 

Leather seats for the home and car are ideal for speedy removal of ejaculate.

Vinyl or posh names for the same thing, such as Mercedes faux leather they call Analine, are equally handy.

By far the worst are Alcantara, suede, or some of the tightly woven cloth seats found in some cars.

My neighbour has a splodge of spunk stain on her passenger seat.

Be there forever probably. 

I'm looking to buy a Chesterfield in Oxblood.  We are messy people and our fabric sofa (free from MFI with Tesco vouchers) is 15 years old and utterly fucked. It wasn't very good quality when new so you can imagine what 15+ years has done to it. Our 12 year old futon is also in a pretty bad state - cover worn through in places, years of stains etc. Creaks like an old wooden sailing ship whenever you move. 

Leather makes sense as it's easily cleaned and less likely to stain. No doubt we'll take to sitting on it whilst wearing clothes with studs and scratch the fuck out of it instead. Maybe sit down on it whilst carrying scissors in our back pockets or something like that. Whatever it is I know we'll wreck in in short order. 

Wooden floor - just laid one. Gouged a 2ft trench in it within a week. Luckily a bit of wood stain concealed it well. 

10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I have a leather sofa I bought 10 years ago second hand for about 120 quid.

I'm such a clumsy messy fucker I'll have to stick with leather sofas, this one has had food spilled on it a couple times a week for 10 years.

plastic_couch_119.jpg?w=584

Look at those boots. I bet she had him on his knees polishing them once he had finished running over the sofa.